Bang for the buck: green filters or K&N?

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just like the title says, what's the best bang for the buck in terms of performance:
1) Green filters on the stock air box
2) K&N air box
3) Green filters on a K&N air box?

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We've tried them all, and have not noticed any differences....I'm sure there are 'tested' differences, but just driving experience--no differences notable anyway. ~juli~

OP
OP
M

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
juli -
K&N is claiming 14HP, but it seems like the stock set up is pretty efficient. It sounds like your experience agrees that the stock set up is decent. What are you guys running on your car now?

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Went back to the K&N stock air box. Sometimes we'll switch out and put the green filters back in...really see no differences...as I said though, there certainly may be 'tested' differences...but as far as 'feeling' the differences in HP...nope. ~juli~

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Green filters. Stock airbox is fine, green filters flow a little better then stock. And I removed the black plastic bezel in hood scoop to hopefully allow more air to enter. I wouldnt waste the money on K&N box set up. Get exhaust or headers if you want a noticeable increase.

NK BREKR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Green filters. Stock airbox is fine, green filters flow a little better then stock. And I removed the black plastic bezel in hood scoop to hopefully allow more air to enter. I wouldnt waste the money on K&N box set up. Get exhaust or headers if you want a noticeable increase.

Hey Matt,

What Mike said, I'm using the Green Filters with the stock airbox.

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
removing the plastic from the hood scoops opening will not do much if anything. If you look a the air management under the hood most of the air into the airbox comes in through the grill opening

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We also didn't remove anything...just alternately use either the K&N air filters or the Green. No noticeable gains as I noted. Both seem to be equal. ~juli~

OP
OP
M

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all the comments - sounds like the greens on the stocker box is the way to go.

Art - I see neither of us won that Diamondback, eh?

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You will net the most gain by installing the K & N Filtercharger Kit and changing the included K & N Filters out to Green Filters which we have in stock and sell for $94.95 per set of 2. You will also need to seal the intake tube where the upper and lower part of the air box cover touches it with foam as there is an area there big enough to stick your finger in that ***** hot engine air into the air box. Shine a light against the back of the air box and look inside to see for yourself. Changing the plugs to Autolite XP985's and removing the hood scoop baffle will net you a huge seat of the pants gain that you will feel.

We are seeing the following gains with this setup:

541.18 EHP & 588.94 ETQ @ 5400 RPMs / 460.0 RWHP & 500.6 RWTQ @ 5400 RPMs
INCREASE OF = 17.53 EHP & 16.94 ETQ @ 5400 RPMs / 14.90 RWHP &14.40 RWTQ @ 5400 RPM'S

See our website for more info:

Robbie

NK BREKR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Art - I see neither of us won that Diamondback, eh?[/quote]

:( :( :( Don't remind me I had already made room for it in the garage, oh well I'll have to wait and see what the next raffle offers or perhaps pull the trigger on a Purple Viper!

I'm going to be in Vegas the 11th-13th maybe we can get together.

OP
OP
M

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Art - I see neither of us won that Diamondback, eh?

:( :( :( Don't remind me I had already made room for it in the garage, oh well I'll have to wait and see what the next raffle offers or perhaps pull the trigger on a Purple Viper!

I'm going to be in Vegas the 11th-13th maybe we can get together.

Sounds good - shoot me a PM or call when you've got a time in mind...

ohiodoc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh sure just leave me out cause I dont have a Gen 3 yet lol. Let me know where and when and I will be there too.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Robbie - How do you remove the hood scoop baffle? Thanks

If you lean back into the engine compartment and pull the hood down toward you there are 3 small Phillips screws holding the baffle in place. If you are running stock paper filters you do not want to remove this rain filter as you will get water in your engine. The K & N and Green Filters are not affected as water will not pass by the oiled cloth elements.

Robbie