Barrett Jackson -Viper

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If someone wants to count here's the link. International Viper Registry

97 saw 117 RT10 and 1160 GTSs

There were many more GTSs built at first then they got closer to even amounts by about 2000 was about 100 difference and 2001 was about equal amounts built.

Ted

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A few corrections, the GTS was built for racing and therefor has racing heritage and an amazing amount of wins at Lemans & Grand Prix (RT10s zero). The Collectable rare ACRs, FEs and GTSRs were not built in an RT. There was about an equal amount of RTs and GTSs built bewteen 97 and 2002. Whereas all the Gen 1 cars are RTs.

Since the GTS was designed to be a racer the car is a hardtop and a hatchback which also happens to have double the cargo area at 12cf. The hardtop is of course a safer vehicle (which is why verts aren't classed as racers) to crash in as well as being a better handling car due to the extra stiffness of the chassis. The GTS bodystyle is faster and more aerodynamic with both the rear spoiler and the hatchback. It is also allowed higher speed with factory safety equipment than RTs. ie. NHRA allows GTS to go 11.5 before requiring racinjg harness and rollbar, etc.

Looks are in the eye of the beholder so I won't argue which is better looking. I like the look of fast and I like fast.

Also I am not "putting down" your RT, just correcting.

Ted

I am fairly certain that my post said if my goal was to have a track car it would be a GTS. It is irrelevant what NHRA thinks or what safety equipment the GTS has over the RT.

Gen 1 RT's and Gen 2 RT's are like different cars, if you combine the two they do outnumber GTS's but that is the only way, there are far fewer Gen 2 RT's than GTS's.

An RT is the quicker viper in every race besides top speed. Its all about the weight, and the GTS has considerably more of it. Cornering and braking is going to be better for the same reason, the chassis stiffness you get from some fiberglass is not going to improve cornering.

And the rarest viper is an RT/10 ACR 1 of 1 built.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am fairly certain that my post said if my goal was to have a track car it would be a GTS. It is irrelevant what NHRA thinks or what safety equipment the GTS has over the RT.

An RT is the quicker viper in every race besides top speed. Its all about the weight, and the GTS has considerably more of it.

You'll notice that not only does the RT have an open roof, but it also has a opening trunk so I doubt that other than crash safety there is a lot of structural strength in the bodies. The GTS does have a top (http://forums.viperclub.org/general-viper-discussion/629914-double-bubble-visionary-has-passed.html) and a structural surface for the roof and it has a glass hatch instead of full opening trunk. The body has door and rear hatch openings. There is a thread that the RT needs the spare tire for structural integrity, but the spare isn't needed for that in the GTS. I don't understand why you think the GTS is as flexible as the RT? Fiberglass is stronger than steel by weight, therefore it's used in the Viper instead of a steel body.

I did do a search to find the design information that stated that the GTS was stiffer, but couldn't find it this time. I did look through my shop manual and see that the roof structure is a double RTM so you must admit that it has structural integrity and not just a "piece of fiberglas".

I did find this ...
"Viper's steel skeleton is extremely rigid, so the car does not suffer the structural flexing over pavement irregularities that plagues so many convertibles. Still, the huge hood shudders over bumps and the plastic panels behind the cabin squeak. Driving feel is the big difference between the roadster and the GTS coupe. While the roadster has the feel of a kit car, with body panels shaking and quivering over bumps, the coupe is as solid as most production cars. This solid sensation produces more confidence to enjoy the Viper's raw power."

Searching was difficult as there was very little on RT and GTS differences. Most information completely ignored the RT 10. This site also has prices and seems consistent at a couple thousand lower for the R/Ts.

1992-2002 Dodge Viper: Full Review - Consumer Guide Automotive

Ted

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only body structure on an RT that makes noise is the hard top roof, and while annoying its something I can live with considering the fact that it comes off the moment weather permits it. And being in So Cal my roof is on the car for maybe 1 week out of the year. The hood on the GTS is identical to gen 2 rt's in every way, so whom ever you are quoting is probably referring to a Gen 1 rt, which has very little in common with a Gen 2 RT besides the appearance of being very similar.

Assuming you mean new prices they were practically identical if you figured in the hard top with the price of the car.

PS. For the Gen 1 guys out there, I have no doubt that in the future Gen 1 RT's are going to be worth far more than any other viper besides maybe the ultra rare gen 2 acr RT, or GTSR cars. They were the first American super car built since the Cobra's, and to this day they are still one of the baddest looking cars on the road.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I also searched for references to your comment that the RTs perform better because they are "so much lighter" and found NO weight information. I would guess that since all references to Viper weights don't specify RT or GTS (as in vette comparos) the car mus weight the same. Perhaps the RT is lighter without the roof?

Ted

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The GTS is roughly 3500lb's, while the RT is 3380.

No one said anything about being so much lighter, but 120lb's is enough to make a difference.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang