Basic SCT help please..

MAVPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just purchased an SCT programmer and have a few questions???

1. It came with the cable to connect to the car but how do I connect to my laptop? Do I use a normal printer cable? It looks like the same connection.

2. It came with a small thumb drive (a dongle i believe it is), what is this for?

3. I ordered it with one custom tune will that tune be in the programmer or on the dongle thing?

I know these are all very basic questions but before I do anything with it I would like to understand what everything is for.

Thanks for any help

cash84

Viper Owner
Reaction score

1. It came with the cable to connect to the car but how do I connect to my laptop? Do I use a normal printer cable? It looks like the same connection.

2. It came with a small thumb drive (a dongle i believe it is), what is this for?

3. I ordered it with one custom tune will that tune be in the programmer or on the dongle thing?

I know these are all very basic questions but before I do anything with it I would like to understand what everything is for.

Thanks for any help

I have the same exact question. I was just gonna wait til spring because my car is in storage.

ontariomystic

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Did you order software to tune your own car or a programmer with a tune? On a Ford vehicle the dongle goes with the Pro Racer package for tuning your own car. The programmer would already have the tune on it and standard USB cable connects it to your laptop. Maybe the Dodge setup is different.

Tagoo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The viper SCT programmer connects to the PC with a USB cable. I don't have mine in front of me, but I think you need the A/B USB cable. One end is sort of square, the other is the more common flat connector.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

Thanks for any help

1. Yes, it is a normal printer cable.

2. That is your Dongle/USB key. You need to plug that into your computer in order to gain access to the SCT Software. After signing and faxing the paperwork to SCT, you need to install the software, run Update Client from your Windows Start Menu [under SCT] until the software either stops updating, or keeps trying to update the same items over and over.

3. It would be in the programmer if anywhere, all Dodge Pro-Racer Packages come blank, with the Stock Tune as the starting point. Though you can call any tuner and get a "basic" tune for a small fee as a starting point as well.

OP
OP
M

MAVPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys!

Viper Specialty I purchased my SCT from you so the tune will be in the programmer i guess. Cant wait for spring to try this out! :drive:
Thank you for a great price btw.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks guys!

Viper Specialty I purchased my SCT from you so the tune will be in the programmer i guess. Cant wait for spring to try this out! :drive:
Thank you for a great price btw.

All packages were shipped blank. If you need a basic tune as a starting point, just send an e-mail to me requesting it. Make sure your name is included in the e-mail, as well as your processor code. These are free to customers who purchased SCT PRP's from us. [and you did]

ontariomystic

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I never knew SCT had a Pro Racer Package available for Dodge. That's sweet, sounds identical to my Ford Pro Racer Package

Bird325

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FINALLY a thread for those of us that jumped on Dan's extremely generous SCT/PRP package and have NO IDEA what to do next.:dunno: I'm fumbling through the steps myself and I think this thread is going to get a lot of traffic as the weather warms up.:drive:

Dan, Would you prefer that we email our questions, PM them or post them here so you only have to answer the question once? Better yet, if there are experienced SCT tuners out there that can help us noobs get going, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Note that there are at LEAST three of us that are as green as green can get... please don't give joking answers as we may not know that it's only a joke.:( I don't want to turn my V10 into a nuclear reactor only to find out that it was due to allowing trust to cloud an inexperienced mind.:lmao:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4