Battery Cable Madness

SweetRed04

Viper Owner
Reaction score
When I tried a lubrication start up my '04 wouldn't start and a charge didn't help.

It turned out the battery cables had corroded severely. The positive cable end was the worse with the clamp bolt rotted completely through and 1 of the 4 loops (there are two per side) completely gone. The battery clips bolt on to the cables.

I bought the car new in '05, Dodge replaced the battery, although it never gave me any problems, and I have driven it over 40,000 miles.

There's a $100 deductible so I didn't expect to have it fixed under the (optional) 7/70 bumper to bumper warranty. But wanted to tell them to use dielectric grease when changing batteries.

It turns out Dodge doesn't sell the ends separately, so to have it repaired with Dodge parts the cost would have been OVER $420!

I fixed the cables using marine battery cable ends modified to be low profile in order to fit under the battery cover. I hope the dielectric grease keeps them from rotting off again!!

It started right up with the new cable ends.

I ended up spending about $5 (cable ends and baking soda to clean things up) and I didn't have to have the car towed to the dealership.

The over $400 price for the positive battery cable, which apparently includes some other electrical components, simply amazed me......

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
SweetRed,

Where in Iowa are you located. We seem to be getting a pretty decent increase in Vipers and I will definitely be planning a spring meet/cruise.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian R