battery drain?????

dave1123

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know what is going on, but if I don't drive my viper for more than a week the battery drains dead. This season I put in a brand new battery (optima)and it keeps doing it. does the secruity system drain it that much? my red security light has never worked since I bought the car two hrs ago? what could cause the drain?

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I go thru a battery every 6-8 months on my 99. I have the best luck with sears die hard gold though. The viper is known for draining batteries especially with the security on. Even the factory vhs tape that came with the car talks about this. Every time I put the car away for more than a few days I connect a battery tender which works great.

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave, do ya have to have the security on where you leave yer viper???? 96 must be different than a 94, mine can sit a couple months with the security on and battery still starts the car.

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
welcome to the club. I have a BIG draw and can't find it. I suspect alarm though. I've tested all fused systems, etc. I've got thru 2 yellow cap / red cap batteries ($$)

G

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I go thru a battery every 3 years. This time I bought it from Costco. They have a 7 year warranty (and I saved the bill) so I should be covered for life. :D