Battery question

PAvenomRT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I inadvertently left my drivers side door adjar about 6 months after installing a brand new battery (car was covered in my garage so did not see door adjar). :smirk: As a result, when i went to start the car it was completely dead. :omg: Jump started it and ran the car for a couple of hours with several on/off cycles and car started fine each time. Hooked up battery tender during the week when car not in use and battery tender light indicated fully charged. Yet when i went to start the car, it barely turned over and would not start. :dunno: Does this seem reasonable to you battery experts out there? The battery is a Sears Gold and is still under warranty so i can replace it. I know Vipers require a lot of juice to turn over that big V10 but since the battery tender indicated a full charge, i am a bit puzzled that it won't start.
PAvenom RT/10

HPmopars

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you are already having trouble starting the car after its been "fully" re-charged, I'd see about getting it replaced.;) That battery isn't designed to be completly deep-cycled that hard.:crazy2:

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
ONE of the reasons I always use and recommend Sears Die Hard Gold or Platinum is the 'no questions asked' warrantee. The 5.5 month full cold-drain has probably rendered the batty unable to take a slow-deep full charge. It takes minimum 10.4 volts to fire the coils.......so the slow-grind will NEVER start,,,

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
replace it, just like i did yesterday in wife's dd on a 72 mo battery after only 38 mo's, feels like an upgrade :D

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Before you replace the battery, did you put a volt meter on the battery to make sure your tender is putting out 12 volts? Also make sure your connections & terminals are clean and tight! :hmmm:

OP
OP
P

PAvenomRT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks to all above for your input. I know the starter is good since when i jump it, the car immediately starts. :2tu:I did check the terminals and all are good but i did not double check the battery tender's ouput. I will do so and assuming it is not the tender, i will replace the battery. Thanks Chuck for the suggestion and to JonB for originally suggesting the Sears Gold battery with the "no questions" guarrantee.
PAvenom RT/10

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope I am not repeating, but, a battery discharge test will tell all. I bought my toaster for $20 from Harbor Freight.

happy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
when you guys put on the battery tenders for storage where do you usally put tthe conections?? Up front under the hood on the positive and the ground beside it??? its such a pain to get to the battery!!

04SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You need to do a load test on your battery. If you just put a volt meter on I bet it shows at least 12 volts, thats why your charger is showing fully charged, but you probably have a weak or dead cell, which affects your cranking amps. Being its under warranty, take it back, they'll load test it and probably be handing you a new battery.:usa:

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
when you guys put on the battery tenders for storage where do you usally put tthe conections?? Up front under the hood on the positive and the ground beside it??? its such a pain to get to the battery!!

Absolutely. The pigtail connector is just long enough that you can connect it (by braille, but it can be done) without opening the hood. Very convenient once you get the hang of it.

happy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
ya if you read your manual you will see " you can not buy winter tires for this vehicle, you can not put tire chains on this vehicle" so in icy snowy roads it just wouldnt go over to well lol but i put mine away for winter and it was there 20 days or so, i had a battery tender on it when i came back it was dead. So we got it going i went and bought a new battery from dodge and put it in, starts perfect now but just want a make sure the tender is working this time when i put it away this week.

OP
OP
P

PAvenomRT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
04SRT right you are! The battery apparently had enough voltage that the tender registered as charged but when i took it back to Sears, it was determined to have a bad cell. they handed me a new battery without charge and i am now back in business. As JonB has recommended many times, the Sears Gold batteries are unconditionally guaranteed for 36 months. I have had my Viper for only 5 and a half years and this is now my third battery.
PAvenomRT/10

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21