Battery Tender

2BADD 4U

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys, I would like to connect my battery tender to my Viper.
The owners manual doesn't have any info on this. Can you connect it to the remote positive terminal and a ground lug? Or must you pull the rear left wheel to connect the battery tender to the battery? And if so should you disconnect the pos. and neg cables from the battery?
wink.gif

Thanks, Dave

VIPER BIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joe Germann:
I hooked the pigtail lead to the +12V remote feed under the hood on the drivers side. I then snaked the pigtail so it came out in the front left wheel well. When not in use it tucks neatly in between the inner fender and the body panel.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sounds like the set-up that I did with my "pigtail". 1st drive (1 or 1.5 hours) after attaching it, went to plug it back in & wire was extremely soft (nearly melted?).. Is this normal? Should this wire be wrapped in some sort of insulated tape to protect it from the heat? Seems to not have caused any damage to the "pigtail", but just concerned me...
Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Derek

JH23JOB

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My GTS lasted a whole 5 weeks without being started, and now it's locked me out. I ordered a Battery Tender from a snowmobile parts dealer at work that sells'em, and he got it for me at cost. Should have it next week.

Snake Bitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JH23JOB:
My GTS lasted a whole 5 weeks without being started, and now it's locked me out. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

DOH! <FONT size="1">I see a trend forming with your Blue/White...You may as well plan on buying a new battery for next season...</FONT s>

VIPER BIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joe Germann:
Derek,

I have never had a problem with the wire getting hot. The Battery Tender only pushed a small amount of currenT. The fuse in the pigtail is just 3 amps, hardly a current level that would cause the heat you mentioned. If the current was that high the fuse should have blown. Are you runing a pigtail with a fuse? If not, you really should.

Joe

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Joe,
Thanks for the reply! But sorry for the confusion...the wire got hot from the engine, not the current while plugged up. It does have a fuse & seems to be just fine while plugged up. But, only after about an hour of driving or so is when I noticed it was so hot..
I have strapped the wire to a wire housing that runs up to the remote positive terminal to attempt to keep it off any parts that might heat up, but it doesn't appear that helps much..

Derek

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala