Battling Really Hot Cat w/ Roe S/C ???

bwhitmore

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I recently installed my Roe S/C last month. Everything is working as it should, since the install. No check engine lights, idle and power are smooth, holds vacuum, injectors are firing, etc. However, on the very first outing I took the car to a local club car show. When I got there I found my passenger side sill had majorly turned yellow. Now, owning a silver car for some time now, the side sills were already starting to turn, but the addition of the Roe S/C majorly sped up the process on the passenger side sill only. I have since sent the side sills to the paint shop, and they are back good as new. I tore out my old cats and swapped them for a set of 3" ceramic RT cats. The car is back together now, but I can't say that I can feel any appreciable difference (same passenger side cat is overly hot) and I am afraid to put my side sills back on for fear they will get cooked again. I would assume the car is burning excess fuel in the passenger side cat, but what is causing this? Again, vacuum is fine, the injectors are firing, and I have checked all my plugs and wires, none are blackened, none wet, all are connected as they should be. Is this a problem that can helped be corrected with tuning of the VEC2? As much as I would like to get rid of my cats entirely, I have no such luck in California.

Mccarlin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with the ceramic RT cats but have you thought about getting some high flow cats?

96GTS B/W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with the ceramic RT cats but have you thought about getting some high flow cats?

Ceramic RT cats are highflow cats. I have the RT metallic substrate highflow cats and I think they are cooler than stock cats, even with my Roe S/C kit.

Joe Dozzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a very similar problem with my silver GTS & Roe SC. You will be able to significantly improve this with more tuning on the VEC 2. In particular, you'll probably want to pull fuel out of cylinders 9 and 10. Give Sean a call, I know he'll be able to help you with this.

94RT10Ohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a very similar problem with my silver GTS & Roe SC. You will be able to significantly improve this with more tuning on the VEC 2. In particular, you'll probably want to pull fuel out of cylinders 9 and 10. Give Sean a call, I know he'll be able to help you with this.

Can not agree more, call em. Roe Racing is always willing to help with their products. This is why I am getting my full exhaust for my Ram SRT-10 from them and with any luck the soon to be released SC for the Ram SRT-10 :)

Reaction score
What they all said....plus:

I HAD the ceramic substrate cats...they came apart and I burned a side sill. Sean sent me the metallic substrate cats and I haven't had the heat problem that bad since I changed them out.

Same goes for the 9 and 10.....have you upgraded the firmware on the VEC2 already? Joseph Dell beat me over the head until I finally did the upgrade and it helps #9 and #10 a great deal. Right before I did the upgrade I fouled a couple plugs...so JD gave me a huge ration of "I told you so".

OP
OP
B

bwhitmore

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Not sure what firmware you are talking about, but the VEC2 I have is only a month and half old. Can they pull fuel out of the #9 and #10 by swapping a smart card or do I have to link up with a laptop and their software?

I spoke with Clay at Random Tech he said that the metal and ceramic substrate flow similarly at the hp I am putting out, but that the heat is mostly due to unburned fuel in the cats.

I guess I will try to get a hold of Roe on Monday...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi