BBK on 96 GTS with Stock Wheels

JMcGuinness

VCA Member
Reaction score
I've done just about every search I can possibly think of. Found Dave's and Tom's numerous discussions on brake upgrades. I've talked with Steve at VipAir (thanks Steve for the info) and even looked at StopTech patterns for 13-inch rotors. While it seems plausible, has anyone actually taken a front stock setup on a 96/97 GTS and moved it to the rears?

REDSLED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, I have stock Gen II calipers on my race car. MOst folks who have non ABS cars and want SRT-10 fronts, moved the stock fronts to the back. Just need a mounting bracket and a prop valve. Have had this set up for 8 years now.

Grisoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mark at IPSCO can serve you up with the brackets for the swap. The hard part is making the decision to cut the rear mounting ears off.

OP
OP
J

JMcGuinness

VCA Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys for the response. Reaffirms what I've been carefully researching. Nothing worse than getting halfway through a project you think should work and then.....

I'm debating on getting some knuckles and doing the rear mounting ear mod on a work bench instead of the car itself. This way would leave an opportunity to go back to 100% stock if ever so desired in the future.

At this moment still in the "I'm sure I want to do this stage, but there are a few other bigger priorities" at the moment. Brakes and tires are currently good as is. Got some '97 forged rims for the piece of mind. Done most of the required fluid maintenance other than the rear differential. That is next on the list along with new front end links. It's funny that as you do more of the work yourself, how many more things you can keep finding that need to be taken care of.

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think you can do with the the OEM 17 inch wheels. I think you have to have the OEM 18 inch wheels or larger. They barely clear the OEM 18's.