BBK twin 67mm thottle body

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have had my XMetal TB now for several months. Easy install, No sticking, Runs great, Well made for sure but, I did not see the numbers improve. Sometimes it might just be better to leave things alone but, We all know how hard that is to do.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Spent two days tracking my 2006 SRTC at Fontana's Auto Club Speedway last weekend. Temps were about 80 on Saturday. New BBK twin throttle body worked perfectly - no sticking.

OP
OP
V

VicTxV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine doesn't stick anymore but still going through idle issues. It will go from 1100-1200 and then drop to 500, then back to around 800. Yesterday it wouldn't even idle enough to keep engine running. I had to start it 3 times and give it some gas to keep running and then it ran fine. Not sure but I think maybe the computer is "learning" the new intake and K&N???? Also added the high flow cats and Corsa. Since I've installed it, car has only been driven 50 miles and that is in the city with stop and go traffic.

Anyone have any ideas or am I right in my thinking?:dunno:

bigike

Enthusiast
Reaction score
would there be an improvement on a roed gen3 vs a x-metal?

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Roe has a bigger throttlebody also however I am not sure that the GenIII Roe runs a stock style throttebody. I have to take a look at the pics Sean posted.

Nevertheless, since the bigger throttlebodies improve throttle response on a na car, I am sure this will be amplified on a blown car.

would there be an improvement on a roed gen3 vs a x-metal?

OP
OP
V

VicTxV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, after several weeks of having this on the car, I think it's time to take off. I'm having to many idle problems. Car will start out great. When it warms up, problems begin.:dunno:
It will stick most of the time around 1200-1500 rpm's. Sometimes the idle will just start to run up and stop around 3000!:omg: Step on pedal a few times and will drop back to 1200-1500 or so. If I rev several times, it MAY drop back down to 700-800 or so but most of the time it's the 1200 range.

Anyone have any ideas before I remove that maybe I should try? I hate pulling up to a traffic light with the idle around 1200 and having to rev the engine to try and get it to drop. Reving once or twice is one thing, doing it 8-10 times at light to try and get idle to drop makes you feel like an dumb a**.

X-Metal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, after several weeks of having this on the car, I think it's time to take off. I'm having to many idle problems. Car will start out great. When it warms up, problems begin.:dunno:
It will stick most of the time around 1200-1500 rpm's. Sometimes the idle will just start to run up and stop around 3000!:omg: Step on pedal a few times and will drop back to 1200-1500 or so. If I rev several times, it MAY drop back down to 700-800 or so but most of the time it's the 1200 range.

Anyone have any ideas before I remove that maybe I should try? I hate pulling up to a traffic light with the idle around 1200 and having to rev the engine to try and get it to drop. Reving once or twice is one thing, doing it 8-10 times at light to try and get idle to drop makes you feel like an dumb a**.
your tps is way out. i have seen this before on the BBK and other units.
we have our new generation throttle body made so that the tps is adjustable. i am sorry you are having this trouble.
if it helps, i would send you one of our throttle bodys to try for free. we have sold over 350 of them, as well as supply them to WELL KNOWN tuners making over 1500hp with them, down to the guys just wanting an extra 15hp
i feel you would be another satisfied customer too. i know with our TB you will experience better throttle response and pulling power through out the RPM range. if you like my product great, you can send me a check. if it doenst do what i say, send her back, no sweat.

kwiksilver

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I,ve had nothing but good results with my x-metal tb. and it looks better than any other i have seen.:2tu:

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gary what is the difference between the old and the new throttle body? The Throttle position Sensor is adjustable? Do you have pics? I was one of the first I think to purchase your TB and curious to see what improvements you made.

your tps is way out. i have seen this before on the BBK and other units.
we have our new generation throttle body made so that the tps is adjustable. i am sorry you are having this trouble.
if it helps, i would send you one of our throttle bodys to try for free. we have sold over 350 of them, as well as supply them to WELL KNOWN tuners making over 1500hp with them, down to the guys just wanting an extra 15hp
i feel you would be another satisfied customer too. i know with our TB you will experience better throttle response and pulling power through out the RPM range. if you like my product great, you can send me a check. if it doenst do what i say, send her back, no sweat.

X-Metal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gary what is the difference between the old and the new throttle body? The Throttle position Sensor is adjustable? Do you have pics? I was one of the first I think to purchase your TB and curious to see what improvements you made.
Hello Mr. Nader! without going into to many details (my throttle body was duped by another shop. when i first introduced it, so i am sure it will hapen again.....) but as with all of our products, i am always scrutinizing them and trying to make them better. we starting supplying some shops around the world this few years doing private label work for all types of engines and throttle body designs. (The European cars are catching on here in the US too, so we have done some neat stuff with lambos and the like).Even a shifter i designed for the Tremec was attempted to be purchased by another BIG name company. but call it pride, or stupidity, i hung on to it. thank goodness for poor mans patents
in doing so, i had to develope new tooling and that also required more R&D in the design of the throttle body itself. the entire throttle body for the Gen3 Viper went thru a metamorphis inside and out, thru its archeticure down to the machining process. even my CNC's and the software i used have been updated, and what i was using was only 2 years old. Technology in CNC machines and cad-cam software like everything else these days changes almost over night. you can continue with what you have, or move forward with the new technology and in turn develope more cutting edge products. even though the Gen3 Viper is a small market, and not even production anymore, i want our products to still have every available advantage. i guess a throttle body can be like a stereo, cell phone, or tv, the new stuff, )even if it still for the same application) just gets better and better.
Small block chevy heads have been around for decades and decades, but the big names-afr-edelbrock- still try to improve improve the flow numbers, velocity, year after year. i try to follow the same philosophy. Hot rodders, Engineers,gear heads, whatever you call us, dont follow the "if its not broke dont fix it" mentality or we would never mod our beloved Vipers!
i am not the biggest name in tuners, or suppliers, but the little things i do make, i take a lot of pride in, and its more of a pride aspect for me than profit making. but if you make something, it can always be be better, be it cookies or thottle bodies!

Viper 24

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Anyone having trouble with a hesitation under soft acceleration? I definitely have the idle issue, sticks around 1400 before dropping down to 700 rpm. But I am more frustrated with a hesitation around 2200 rpm - 4500 rpm. Under hard acceleration or full throttle the hesitation goes away.

Any thoughts?

Thanks - jm

X-Metal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone having trouble with a hesitation under soft acceleration? I definitely have the idle issue, sticks around 1400 before dropping down to 700 rpm. But I am more frustrated with a hesitation around 2200 rpm - 4500 rpm. Under hard acceleration or full throttle the hesitation goes away.

Any thoughts?

Thanks - jm
your problem sounds like a combination of tuning concerning your Paxton install (i am going off of your Sig). i "assume" since you have a Paxton, you have a AFR gauge.
what is your AFR when this happens and what throttle position vs rpm?

Viper 24

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I don't have an AFR gauge. Dan Cragin built and tuned the motor, may have some issues due to the tune being done at sea level and I live at 7K feet. I didn't notice the hesitation when the car was shipped to CO, progressively got worse over the past month or so.

I did send Dan a dyno sheet from a shop in Denver, not sure he could really pin point the issue. AF ratio looked pretty good. It is very strange, but the car tends to behave like some of these on the post.

OP
OP
V

VicTxV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
update-I pulled the BBK off the car and put the stock TB back on and have driven it about 1200 miles since and not one idle problem.:drive::2tu:

So now I have a $450 paper weight.:omg: