Belanger Headers, observations

Red Mist Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Last week I had a set of Belanger headers installed on my ’02 Red/Silver GTS. I really like the sound and glad I did it.

But, it came after a lot of research. Basically I read every post I could find on the VCA and Alley. I subsequently focused on the heat shields—with or without(?), which seemed to be the most evenly divided topic and most controversial. In the end I went without the shields. However, I added heat socks, hi-temp plug wires and boots, and shielded the more delicate parts/areas. By the way, my set up now consists of Belanger headers, RT Cats, and a 3” Corsa. The sound is very enjoyable at cruising speeds and really great at WOT. I also found the temps from the headers to the exhaust tips to be cooler overall.

I was in luck too as the local shop, Superior Automotive Center, is run by a super mechanic named John who has been doing hot rods, muscle cars, and dragsters his whole life. He worked on the Viper as if he indeed owned it himself.

For those who are interested in such things, I purchased the headers from JonB; the spark plugs, hi-temp wires and boots from AB; DEI heat socks from Advance Auto; Superior is in Pensacola (FL); and, I learned a lot from 99 R/T 10 (Michael S.).

Good luck with your header project.

Jim

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the same basic setup and also love it, but I didn't shield any delicate areas. Do you have any pictures of what was shielded?

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good to hear it worked out for you; I was not as fortunate. I had one piece headers that were a difficult install but "Viper Techs" at two different dealerships were confident of intalling/removing them.......they ended up doing some damage to my Viper. The techs were really nothing more than factory part replacers not up to the challenge of difficult hot rod jobs.

hemihead

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Red Mist Viper, I curerently have 3" Corsa, RT cats, and stock manifolds on my 02' RT/10 and I'd like to install Belangers next. I'm wondering if you had my exhaust set up on your car before installing your headers or did you install the system all at once?
If you had the Corsa / RT set up prior to headers did you experience much more interiorior sound after the header install?

As you know, our stock manifolds flow pretty well did you do this purely for sound or do you notice any improved performance?

Thanks,
JC

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Glad U Like the System......and the COOLNESS.

HemiH, I am pretty sure Jim did it all at once....Not to spread personal info, but his time has been limited in deployed service, (Thanks) and finally back for a while.

OP
OP
R

Red Mist Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry for the late response. I was on the road the last few weeks. JonB appreciate your response and kind words.

LifeIsGood, I have no pictures. The items shielded were easy to figure out once the Viper was up on the lift. Unfortunately I can’t recall what he shielded exactly, but I know he moved the 02 sensor, shielded a break line and the radiator reservoir (the small one that sits on top of the wheel well). Hope that helps.

Viperbilliam, my Viper tech is pretty good. But, it was just not the type of job for him. When I say that “John” treated the Viper as if it were his, I mean just that…he kept the car for a few days and babied it. Sure he could have knocked it out in a day, but he took his time and really cared to do a great job. And, I couldn’t be more thankful. Two months prior to this job, he put a set of Corsa and RT cats on my ’97 b/w; and again, did a fantastic job.

JC, on the ’02 Viper I did have the 3" Corsa, RT cats, and stock manifolds prior to the Belangers. JonB was thinking about my ’97 b/w (supra), it’s just that I decided to put the Belangers on my ’02 instead. The sound at idle and while cruising is indeed deeper. You’ll be happy to know, there is no real change in interior sound. However, once you hit the gas, wow, much better--it’s louder than your current set up, it’s deeper, but it’s not as raspy—and it’s no V8. But, it does sound great. Otherwise, I knew there would be little HP gain, and in fact I believe it to be true. For me, I did feel a seemingly nice bump in torque at mid-range, but that’s my own seat of the pants judgment. Therefore, I did it for “show”. Once you lift up the hood it’s nice to see the headers, the plug wires, and heat socks. There’s a certain visual (and audio) appeal there for me and well worth the price. Will I do it for the b/w ’97, no. Both cars now have a distinct characteristic of their own. PM me if you’d like and I can add a few more details.

Good luck with your decision,
jim