best clutch kit for street/strip use?

charmer006

Enthusiast
Reaction score
did a search and didnt get a whole lot back...sounds like rps clutches ****....what about centerforce or Mcclod? Are there others? I Need something to be able to hold launches on mt et streets..hp is around 600. thanx

Doug

Enthusiast
Reaction score
get a stage 1 or ram clutch. ive got the ram clutch in my truck its held up pretty good so far. centerforce make too much noise.

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Haven't had it dynoed yet. Will do that in the spring and then I will see what new #'s I get. It sure feels stronger though. Motor winds up a lot faster than it used to. A little better launches, not a lot, just a little. :D

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use the RPS clutch... not the carbon / carbon. I love it so far. quite grabby but also quite streetable. The old RPS clutch sucked. In fact, I have one if you want it... no charge. I've been to lazy to throw it out. But the current one is quite good.

JD

OP
OP
C

charmer006

Enthusiast
Reaction score
do i need to replace the flywheel? Can i use the stock one with a certerforce,rps, or some other one? And why would a flywheel kill tq nums?

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can use a stock one as far as I know but most everybody says to replace stock flywheel with an aluminum one since you are into that much anyways. Less weight=less rotating mass. Glad I did.

Alternative

Enthusiast
Reaction score
charmer006 - on Centerforce's website, you'll find the clutch for a Viper. The PN # will lead you to a Technical Insert about the break in procedure, and that the clutch discs "ARE DESIGNED TO BE USED ON O.E. FLYWHEELS AND BILLET STEEL FRICTION SURFACES ONLY! FAILING TO FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS WILL VOID MANUFACTURES WARRANTY AND MAY RESULT IN PREMATURE WEAR."
I have an Apex Motorsports (not in the Viper business anymore) kevlar clutch and a lightened flywheel. My car recently dyno'd (before clutch started to slip) at 620 rwhp and 829 rwtorque (NX wet kit 200 shot). I don't think the torque was affected by the lightened flywheel, but I'm not sure since I didn't get to dyno with stock clutch/flywheel.
After about 8k miles and several trips to the drag strip this year, my clutch/flywheel is showing signs of wear. I'm also searching which brand to go with...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VinhyVegas