Best drag radials?

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What drag radials do you guys run? BGF? Nitto? Something else?

Looking for best 1/4 performance. Also, any opionions on 1/2 shafts? I've heard Unitrax are good...

SRTim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I reccomend Purner's setup with the Micky Thompson ET streets and skinnies. The only problem is that this setup will cost much more than just putting drag radials on your Viper's stock wheels. There may be a set in the classified section of the VCA website.

Also, I reccomend BTR Viper's half shafts...price is good and warranty is excellent. I run slicks and nitrous and haven't had any problems with his half shafts yet.

Tim

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike,

I have a set of BFG DRAG RADIALS and have had good sucess with them. With proper driving technique they are good for mid 11,'s on a very mildly modified viper(whereas pilots might only net high 11's to low 12's).

I have a set of Nitto's on order. I have seen them on other cars and they seem to have a superior traction compound. I look forward to trying them and posting results.

Tom
Http://btrviper.com

OP
OP
M

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tom,

Did you order the new "555R" Nittos or the older "555" tires?

Supposely the "R" is alot better, but I don't know anyone who has them. Where did you order them from and how long before they will arrive?

Thanks!

Venom Lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike,
I agree with Tim on the ET streets. Heck, you're already into the Viper thing for a lot of money, right, so what's another $2500 for wheels with MT ET streets mounted and balanced? You said you're looking for "best 1/4 performance."

I don't have any experience with how much of a difference ET streets make relative to DRs, but I know ET streets knocked 0.7 sec off my ETs at Carlsbad (though that is a slippery track, so perhaps stickier rubber counts for more there than at your track). Anyway, I went from 12.4 on street tires to 11.7 on ET streets at Carlsbad. Short time went down by three tenths.

I have communicated with you privately on the subject of half shafts.

Venom Lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh, yeah, one other thing. Either way you go, DRs or ET streets, you're going to be running in the 11's, so now the next question is do you have a 5-point roll cage? If your track adheres to NHRA rules, you will need one for any run better than 11.99.

I'm still struggling with the decision of whether to get a roll cage....But I already know the right answer: I bought ET streets to run in the 11's, so like it or not, it's roll cage time!

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike,

They are the new "R" series and I ordered them from a local tire dealer who gets me most of my tires. Give me a call if you can't find them.

Good Luck,

Tom,

BTW, If anyone is interested in a Roll Bar with Sidebar, I have digital pics of one that I made and installed in my own viper about a month ago. The complete setup is bolt in and the sidebar is removable. It is a very "trick" piece and is nearly invisible from looking through the side window. It hugs the roofline and the seats still have full travel. I haven't decided to offer them for sale yet, but if parties are interested in seeing mine(even if you'd like to copy it!)let me know and I will email you pics to download to this site for me.

OP
OP
M

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon,

You really pequed my interest now... what doesn't apply to MY2001 Vipers?

Thanks everyone for the comments... I ordered a set of Nitto 555R radials from tires.com - they have them IN STOCK if anyone is interested ($189/ea) in 315/35-17 size. A buddy of mine has a set of BFG's mounted to older Viper front rims, so I'll do a side-by-side and see how they rate and post results.

As for the 1/2 shafts, I think I'm gonna go Unitrax - I'll give you a call soon JonB to order... thanks!

Venom,

I'm lucky that my local track is an IHRA track, not NHRA, so they don't require a roll-bar for < 12.00 runs. Greg Kordis ran an 11.38 in his bone stock Viper there with DR's, and had no problem
You must be registered for see images
If I could only match that
You must be registered for see images

MaxedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was told that the 315's don't work as well on the rear wheels? Do I need to run front wheels on the rear to put the Nitto's on? I have a 2000 viper with 18 inch wheels.

Thank you, Max

OP
OP
M

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maxed,

Yes, the 315's are too small for the rear rims - you need to get a set of front rims and install them on the rear.... however a drag radial in 315 size on the back is still a LOT better than a 335 stock tire.

<RANT>

Wasn't someone going to try to get BF Goodrich or Nitto to make a 335 or (better yet) 345 size drag radial in 17 and 18 inch sizes? How expensive can it really be for them? They do it for show cars all the time - there are *no* drag radials that fit rear Viper wheels, and the only DOT race tires that fit are the Hoosiers, which I don't particularly like.

Geez, these cars are meant for racing - how come we can't get someone to make us some tires that fit!

</RANT>

racewheel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
one properly conducted test is worth more than 10,000 expert opinions.
drag radials= 87% tire slippage (not an awfull lot better than some street tires) vs 28% for an et street (or comparable 2-ply wrinklewall drag tire)