Best High Flow Cats - to reduce heat in cabin

Coop

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm wanting to purchase the high flow cats to remedy the heat problem in the cabin. Besides a K&N filter change this will be my only mod to the car. I have a 2006 vert and would appreciate your opinions.

Also, what is a good price for the cats, how much for install, and who should do the work? I live in Kansas City.

Coop

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Take out the crossover as well. That is where the majority of the heat is coming from. I have the stock cats and corsa track and have no heat problems at all.

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm seeing this a lot and wonder how this crossover removal does the trick; the heat is around my feet where the cats are and the crossovers are around the back of the interior!?

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Popular cats are Random Tech (RT), they are available in 2.5 inch which is the stock size and I see them listed in the $550-650 range. That would drop one cat per side & leave one hi-flo cat, a prescription many offer to improve interior temps. You can get these, and advice from partsrack, woodhouse, and others.

Many also say swapping to the Corsa will improve temps, Corsa claims a decrease of 120+degrees on the side pipes compared to stock. This is the route I'm taking now. I just ordered my Corsa today, to lower interior temps and improve exhaust sound, and extra 20hp doesn't hurt. If this does the trick I'm good & didn't get into the cats, if not, I'll do cats next, get more cool & more sound.

Also, I'm looking at a side venting setup that DC Performance has, looks simple and sounds logically like it should be very effective, and many also offer insulation kits, floor boards and sills.

I'm dyno'ing tomorrow for my baseline, as soon as my pipes come I'll put them on & report on temp change, dyno, etc.

Hope this helps.

Dave.

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Swaping out the factory cats for "high flow" 2.5" cats is a waste of time. If you're going to swap out the cats go with 3", you'll gain more power and loose more heat.

The crossover does create a bit of back pressure which keeps the heat in the pipes. Removing the cross over will help some with the heat and you have quite a few options for exhaust systems there....I have sound clips of a couple sytems, PM me if you would like them.

Removing the secondary cat from the side sill is going to be the second best way for you to reduce the heat.

Finally, the best way get rid of the heat is to loose the cats all together but then the car would be really loud.

As for doing the install. Any exhaust shop could do it, it's very easy, but it is time consuming ---->side sill<----

Axtellboy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Regarding your question as to who should do the work-- I've heard good things about Rosso Motorsports (www.rossomotorsports.com) in their new location in the Johnson County suburbs, but I don't have direct knowledge. I'm from Wichita, and would be interested in any input on Rosso.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I'm wanting to purchase the high flow cats to remedy the heat problem in the cabin. Besides a K&N filter change this will be my only mod to the car. I have a 2006 vert and would appreciate your opinions.

Also, what is a good price for the cats, how much for install, and who should do the work? I live in Kansas City.

Coop

Your profile is minus an email, so here goes a short version:

1) Putting HiFlow cats in front of a low-flow OE exhaust is 50% wasted effort.

2) 2.5" HF cats, or 3" HF cats WILL provide more cooling, PROVIDED they can flow better thru a hi-flow exhaust. SIGNIFICANT cooling 120-150d can result.
Asking them to flow thru an oe system wont let them run as cool, but still cooler than 4 OE cats!

3) PartsRack's bolt-on HF cats in 2 sizes and 2 substrates gives you OPTIONS.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
EXHAUST ISSUES

17.49 EHP / 14.90 RWHP & 16.94 ETQ / 14.0 RWTQ Increase

60.5 % More Flow 68.5 Lb Weight Reduction ( WITHOUT CATS, & CROSSOVER PIPE. )

No one can deny the Viper's sensuous looks or crushing performance...but what about that sound? Constricted by the factory exhaust, the uneven-firing V10 emits an unattractive drone and plenty of interior resonance, camouflaging the power beneath the hood. Most aftermarket exhaust systems just pump up the volume, but only AtroRacings Custom Fabricated Stainless Steel Street-Track Exhaust System changes the factory sound to a muscular V8 sound with no interior resonance and does it while retaining your vipers good looks. AtRo Racings Mufflers are custom made by Magnaflow and feature stainless steel bodies, end caps and perforated cores. Also included are our own mirror polished polished exhaust tips. A side benefit of the AtRo Racing Exhaust System, with Hi-Flow Cats, is that it weights 68.5 lbs less than the factory OEM exhaust system which results in a higher horsepower to weight ratio.This translates to faster acceleration!

HEAT ISSUES

Over the years we have battled with the side sill heat issue. We have developed several ways to eliminate this problem. The biggest issue is the fact that there is heat soak that comes through the side sills into the Vipers cabin making life very unbearable. Below is how we have solved this heat issue.

This eliminates 95% of the heat inside & outside of the car

AtRo Racing‘s Heat Elimination Kit consists of a wrap that you put around all of your exhaust system including the secondary cats, mufflers, and side pipes. First you wrap the entire exhaust system with Thermo-Conductive Wrap, that reflects the heat away from the inside of the car & hold it in place with the supplied stainless steel clamps. Then you coat the entire system with the supplied coating which seals all the pores and makes the wrap waterproof. Then you run the car to let the insulation cure before installing your side sills. Next you install the supplied custom cut insulation mating that goes inside of your car between your carpet and the side sills. This mating runs along the whole side of the sill from the back of the seat to the front of the foot wells and forms a barrier to keep the heat out and the A/C cool air in the cabin. We also supply insulation mating that goes under your floor mats and are glued to the bottom of the mats. Then you glue the supplied rubber mating to the bottom of the heat shield on the mats. We even supply the adhesive and all the fasteners!

This eliminates 95% of the heat inside & outside of the car.

You can see all our products on our web site at:

http://www.members.aol.com/AtroRacingTeam/PRODUCTS/AtRoRacingsProductCatalog

Robbie
AtRo Racing Products
203-641-8569
Track Technology For The Street
VCA Members recieve 10% off of all kits.