Best low break dust pads/rotors?

ROYMAN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not that I need to change out any parts yet, but I am getting really irritated at the amount of dust that my brakes produce. Even after a short drive with minimal brake use, all of my wheels and the lower portions of my Viper need to be cleaned significantly!

My vette had the same problem, but not nearly as bad. I switched to (I think) hawk pads and some no-name slotted rotors from the bay, and the problem was over. Vette mods were effective and cheap. Is there an equivalent for the Viper?

JoelW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have used several sets of ceramic brake pads - one set from Akebono and one from Mintex - and found brake dust to be a lot less. I use Hawk pads on my race car and haven't noticed any extreme dust issues (Hawk blue) but don't have experience with their high performance street pads. My '03 is using stock pads (Brembo) and I have noticed some dust but not as bad as you must have - even after track days. Hawk has both ceramic and HPS pads for Vipers and Tirerack carries them. The ceramic have ratings of lower dust but less stopping power. The HPS have better stopping but higher dust. They are not cheap but equivalent to stock pad costs. Maybe some other folks have experience that will help.

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not that I need to change out any parts yet, but I am getting really irritated at the amount of dust that my brakes produce. Even after a short drive with minimal brake use, all of my wheels and the lower portions of my Viper need to be cleaned significantly!

My vette had the same problem, but not nearly as bad. I switched to (I think) hawk pads and some no-name slotted rotors from the bay, and the problem was over. Vette mods were effective and cheap. Is there an equivalent for the Viper?
My ceramics on Corvette squeal. Ceramic pads still have dust, it Is just light color so you do not see it. Once you break them in, the stopping power is good. Rotors have nothing to do with dust reduction, save your money.

VicTxV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I ordered some Wagner Thermoquiet MX968 to try out. Probably about the same dust as OEM, but $60 for front and rear, I'll try them. I was going to get ceramic but for heavy use, I read they can transfer the heat in the pad back to the rotor.

Mark at Woodhouse recommends Carbotech for low dust pads.

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I ordered some Wagner Thermoquiet MX968 to try out. Probably about the same dust as OEM, but $60 for front and rear, I'll try them. I was going to get ceramic but for heavy use, I read they can transfer the heat in the pad back to the rotor.

Mark at Woodhouse recommends Carbotech for low dust pads.
I put stoptech on my vette, they squeal and I recall I was assured they would not.