Best place in ""Vegas"" to Rent a Viper GTS ?

Toque

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Best place in \"\"Vegas\"\" to Rent a Viper GTS ?

Guys:

Wife and I are going to Vegas to drive my first Viper GTS to see if I like it enough to buy one. Any suggestions on where to rent in Vegas? Anyone rented one there with good experience ? Where NOT to rent from ? etc.....

I'm 32 and i have no issues with the age restrictions on the cars. What about insurance ? Take my own insurance card from Texas ? I heard my platinum Visa, or platinum AMEX has its own auto rental coverage (if i purchase rental with one of thoes cards).

I found the following so far:
http://www.rent-a-viper.com/exotics.asp
http://www.exoticcarrentalslasvegas.com/ViperGTScoupe2000.html
http://www.breezenet-inc.com/dream.htm
http://www.dreamcarrentals.com/
http://www.lasvegassite.com/vipergts.html
http://www.rentexoticcars.com/vegas.html
http://www.drivenimage.com/showroom_results03.asp?x_LocationID=59&x_CategoryID=2&x=124&y=16
http://www.rent-a-vette.com/index.html
http://www.usatourist.com/english/rentavette/rates.html
http://www.bnm.com/cgi-bin/coupon.cgi?coupon=expressvegas

Thanks
Toque

Gerald Levin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re: Best place in

Toque, Can't recommend a place but I was told they take photos of the tires prior to use and examine the car after you return and will charge you according if the car had been abused. Anyone know if this is fact or fiction?

ABADASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

There is a place on the road from the airport to the strip,don`t remember the name. I rented one and drove it at Viper Days for 2 days,several off road trips.Boiled over brake and power steering fluid, left it dirty with wheels covered in brake dust. They gave me an extra half day due to all the miles I put on it. They didn`t care as long as it was not dented.Back then rental was 300 per day and 1 dollar a mile. What hurt was 50 miles each way to the track and 100 track miles.I even showed up to rent it carrying my helmet. Have fun and drive the piss out of it.

OP
OP
T

Toque

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Best place in \"\"Vegas\"\" to Rent a Viper GTS ?

Everyone;

We are planning to drive to Hoover Dam (from Vegas). From Hoover Dam where is a good place to travel to next ? Good smooth roads? good scenery ? etc.....

Toque

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score

There is a place on the road from the airport to the strip,don`t remember the name. I rented one and drove it at Viper Days for 2 days,several off road trips.Boiled over brake and power steering fluid, left it dirty with wheels covered in brake dust. They gave me an extra half day due to all the miles I put on it. They didn`t care as long as it was not dented.Back then rental was 300 per day and 1 dollar a mile. What hurt was 50 miles each way to the track and 100 track miles.I even showed up to rent it carrying my helmet. Have fun and drive the piss out of it.

Showed up carrying your helmet! That's GREAT!! :2tu:

ElDiablo Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Everyone;

We are planning to drive to Hoover Dam (from Vegas). From Hoover Dam where is a good place to travel to next ? Good smooth roads? good scenery ? etc.....

Toque

You should go first to the Valley of the Fire.

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Everyone;

Toque

Not much out that way unless you're driving farther into Arizona. You could drop down to Kingman then over to Flagstaff / Grand Canyon from there, but it's gonna be a ton of miles and the rental place will charge by the mile.

If you wanna stay in Nevada, Valley of Fire would be pretty cool (go north on I-15). You could also drive up to Mt Charleson - pretty good scenery but watch for cops once you're on the road that takes you to the mountain from the 95. Depending on when you're here you might catch some action at LVMS as well.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score

When are you going? There will be quite a few vipers in town for the NASCAR races March 6-7. We will be hanging out at the Lexor.
Most of the cars will be convertables, or roadsters, as we will be doing a charity event, taking a parade lap with the NASCAR drivers sitting on top and waving.
Best of success with your new GTS. (I know you will like it.)
Be careful not to expect a clapped out rental Viper to be like a well loved GTS.
Most have been hammered constantly.
By your website, I see you are looking at both Vettes, and Vipers. Perhaps you could rent both, back to back. (Warning...the vette will seem very very tame by comparison.) :usa:

OP
OP
T

Toque

Enthusiast
Reaction score

MoparMan, ElDiablo Viper:

Wow the Valley of Fire, and Mt Charleson sounds cool.
I found a web site on both.
Are they both "driving trails"? Wife and I want to do driving trails with the car, and scenic stops etc.....for pictures of us with the car... :D

Both are different driving directions, and again different from Hoover Dam's direction. Wife wants to do Hoover Dam for sure.
We may have to choose only one of the two you mentioned above. Which would be best for driving trails, scenery to see while driving ? Valley of Fire ? or Mt Charleson ?

Both are about an hour from Vegas. How long to drive around each place approx ? I'm trying to plan the day with the car as much as possible.

Thanks !
Toque

OP
OP
T

Toque

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Paul Hawker :

We are going the weekend of April 10-13. I am considering a vette too, but i have driven them, and i have a strong feeling once i drive the GTS I will be hooked. I am going to have the money for a 2001-2002 GTS by this time next year. I can't wait ! ***** that VOI8 is in Dallas this year (I live in Dallas), and I will have my Viper next year... :(

Thanks
Toque

ABADASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Toque: Paul is right the rentals have been rode hard and put up wet. They will have bad tires, poor clutch and fluids, but you will get the general idea. Just drive up and down the strip a few times and watch how many times you have your picture taken in the car. Have fun

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score

MoparMan, ElDiablo Viper:

Wow the Valley of Fire, and Mt Charleson sounds cool.
I found a web site on both.
Are they both "driving trails"? Wife and I want to do driving trails with the car, and scenic stops etc.....for pictures of us with the car... :D

Both are different driving directions, and again different from Hoover Dam's direction. Wife wants to do Hoover Dam for sure.
We may have to choose only one of the two you mentioned above. Which would be best for driving trails, scenery to see while driving ? Valley of Fire ? or Mt Charleson ?

Both are about an hour from Vegas. How long to drive around each place approx ? I'm trying to plan the day with the car as much as possible.

Thanks !
Toque

The ride to Mt Charleston is not a "driving trail" per se but there are photo ops along the way and definitely up at the top of the mountain. I'm not sure about the Valley of File since I haven't been in the park.

You should be able to get to Hoover Dam from the strip in 20 - 30 mins, and Mt Charleston in 35 - 40 mins. Neither is very far and the time will depend on how fast you go and if you get any slow traffic (part of the ride to both places involves single lane in each direction roads).

As posters above told you, don't expect a rented Viper to be nearly as nice as one you would buy - the rentals are definitely driven hard.

Rollin4

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Everyone;

Toque

Take a drive up to Mt Charleston, if I can remember correctly it's North of Vegas. It is quite a difference from the Vegas surroundings. There is a secnic overlook on one of the side roads off the main road to Mt Charleston don't miss it, it is a spectacular view and by all means take a camera, you won't believe your eyes.

Jcoopacr2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Sorry to break in but i wasnt sure where to post this.Driver door on my 2000 acr will not open .
Acts like it is locked. I have to open with emergency latch inside. Anyone had this problem? Advice?

Rollin4

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Sorry to break in but i wasnt sure where to post this.Driver door on my 2000 acr will not open .
Acts like it is locked. I have to open with emergency latch inside. Anyone had this problem? Advice?

Your in the correct forum for your answer...but Go back to the Forum where all the posts are, look at top of page where it says POST, click and post your question. More people we see it there than added to this thread.

ElDiablo Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I did both the Hoover and the Valley. The Valley has a lot more things to offer. Scenery + fun of driving would make it #1 for me. Hoover Dam is great but when you get there you will be with other tourists with your car in the garage.It is not a fun drive.
Make sure to leave early as there is a lot to see.

Sam 01 RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If you rent the Viper, give me a shout. We can run 'em through Red Rock canyon, there's some nice twisty bits in there.
:)

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The exotic car rental place on the other side of the street from the convention center has a few Vipers, but the looked really rough. One had a hood to bumper gap of 1.5 inches.

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If you rent the Viper, give me a shout. We can run 'em through Red Rock canyon, there's some nice twisty bits in there.
:)

Sam, my wife and I do that ride (from Charleston/215 all the way to the Silverton back up the 15 to the 215 and home) every couple of weeks. The problem is that there is too much traffic on Charleston now (not to mention cops). Sometimes you can really open it up but other times there are too many slow moving vehicles and people riding bicycles in the lanes to do anything.

See you at the next chapter meeting...

Jack

Viper Owner
Reaction score

You can probably do Hoover Dam and Valley of Fire the easiest. I moved away from Vegas in mid-80s so my memory is a little rusty. I'd start by going to Hoover Dam. You can cross over to the Arizona side at the pullout half way up and get a nice photo op looking at the Viper with Lake Mead and the dam in the background. Then, coming back on the Nevada side, give it a couple of good raps and listen to the exhaust echo off the canyon walls. (Ahhhhh - reminds me of one night I sat waiting as the Las Vega Mopar club returned from a Phoenix car show. The sound of those 440 and 383 Cudas and Challengers as they crossed the dam was incredible). Coming back on Hwy 93 (or is it 95?) look for the exit to Lake Mead NRA (before you get to Boulder City). Maybe stop at Boulder Beach or one of the other marinas for an early lunch. I'd take the park road north towards Overton. I think there's a turnoff that will put you into the Valley of Fire. From there, it's back toward Las Vegas.

Have fun!

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You can probably do Hoover Dam and Valley of Fire the easiest. I moved away from Vegas in mid-80s so my memory is a little rusty. I'd start by going to Hoover Dam. You can cross over to the Arizona side at the pullout half way up and get a nice photo op looking at the Viper with Lake Mead and the dam in the background. Then, coming back on the Nevada side, give it a couple of good raps and listen to the exhaust echo off the canyon walls. (Ahhhhh - reminds me of one night I sat waiting as the Las Vega Mopar club returned from a Phoenix car show. The sound of those 440 and 383 Cudas and Challengers as they crossed the dam was incredible). Coming back on Hwy 93 (or is it 95?) look for the exit to Lake Mead NRA (before you get to Boulder City). Maybe stop at Boulder Beach or one of the other marinas for an early lunch. I'd take the park road north towards Overton. I think there's a turnoff that will put you into the Valley of Fire. From there, it's back toward Las Vegas.

Have fun!

A few comments:
If all he wants to do is drive out to Hoover Dam and take some photos that should work fine. If his main focus is doing the tour or the museum then the rented Viper would spend its time sitting in the garage on the Nevada side of the dam. You're right, there are a few places for photo ops by the lake. Also, I haven't been out there in a while, but I heard that the park road along the marinas now charges you a fee to drive along it.

It's interesting that you mention the old Las Vegas Mopar club since it dissolved some time ago, but a new Mopar club has been formed within the last couple of years. I'm assuming that you were in the club with the Peters family, Ed Metcalfe, etc. Ed is the one that's headed up the new club "Mopars of Las Vegas." If you're interested you can check it out at www.moparsoflasvegas.us.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine