Best radar detector?

Copernicus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went on ebay to buy a new v1 and they were all $499.00. They are $399.99 on there web site. Am I missing something. They looked the same. My new 06 is showing up this weekend so I thought I had better get one.
Thanks Jerry

I believe the majority of sales that occur with V1 on Ebay are to locales where radar detectors are illegal. Valentine will not sell to these locations and as a result, those individuals pay a premium on Ebay to get them. That is my theory at least....

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am going to try the mirror mount-just ordered the 3/25" the other day. As mentioned before I have the V1 mounted above and partly tucked behind the mirror but the back of unit is still in the clear.

Mounted under the mirror it looks better and will be easier to remove but also more noticeable.

Ive had a lot of different detectors through the years but the V1 is the best by far. Its unbelievable how far away the unit picks up radar signals.

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry John should have explained further. I was thinking partly about another thread on the V1 mirror mount and the Viper uses the 3/25" plain mount. I think you have this mount and recommended it. It is neat.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
when you plug in the remote display it blacks out the main unit...unfortunately there is not a great place to install the remote display on the srt and you still have the main unit in the dash...if you park with the top down you still need to remove the main unit and hide it in the trunk
This is the big advantage of the K40 as there is nothing to remove when you park with the top down. It is completely built in but the price tag is huge to buy and install it.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Valentine the best?..........If the popular vote is not Valentine, we may have to rename the holiday.

One NEAT thing about Valentine is that as technology changes, you can send your unit in to be upgraded, at nominal cost.

Another is that they truly keep GREAT records and can help add accessories, upgrades, or record and blacklist a theft.

You can actually TALK to Mike Valentine at their 800 number almost any day...He is the co-inventor of the ****** detector and former co-owner of that Company (Cinci Microwave) Mike has been doing this a LOOoooonnngggg Time, and is the BEST.

VERY FEW false alarms.... it alerts so early when laser is in use ahead, that you MIGHT think its false! but BELIEVE IT..... the only way you are saved is if you detect the OTHER GUY ahead of you getting splashed.....

zen garage

Enthusiast
Reaction score
when you plug in the remote display it blacks out the main unit...unfortunately there is not a great place to install the remote display on the srt and you still have the main unit in the dash...if you park with the top down you still need to remove the main unit and hide it in the trunk
This is the big advantage of the K40 as there is nothing to remove when you park with the top down. It is completely built in but the price tag is huge to buy and install it.

the cost of the k40 unit itself is not that expensive its the labor for the install that kills you...my e55 install was a piece of cake, one hour or so, the s8 was much more difficult at about 4 hours but that is because we needed to remove the front bumper....

i have been testing my v1 against the k40 for the last two days....reaction times have been identical....the k40 has front and back leds and a nice friendly gentleman tells you what band and where its coming from

johnk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry John should have explained further. I was thinking partly about another thread on the V1 mirror mount and the Viper uses the 3/25" plain mount. I think you have this mount and recommended it. It is neat.

three twentyfifths of an inch? Huh? The V1 mounts for our Vipers use the 3/4" mount as the mirror stem is approximately 3/4" in diameter.

Take care..

John

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the cost of the K40 unit itself is not that expensive its the labor for the install that kills you...my e55 install was a piece of cake, one hour or so, the s8 was much more difficult at about 4 hours but that is because we needed to remove the front bumper....

i have been testing my v1 against the k40 for the last two days....reaction times have been identical....the k40 has front and back leds and a nice friendly gentleman tells you what band and where its coming from

Please keep all of us informed as to which unit you believe is better and why as you continue to test them. :2tu:

Thanks,

Robbie

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry-three quarter of a inch. I was making cents instead of sense wasn't I John ;) Anyway the 3/4" holder is on back order. Think they got a lot of orders in the past week.

zen garage

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the cost of the K40 unit itself is not that expensive its the labor for the install that kills you...my e55 install was a piece of cake, one hour or so, the s8 was much more difficult at about 4 hours but that is because we needed to remove the front bumper....

Please keep all of us informed as to which unit you believe is better and why as you continue to test them. :2tu:

Thanks,

Robbie

robbie, I thought you had me on ignore?

ZO6KLR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ordered mine last week with the Invisicord. Received the Invisicord today, but no mirror mount. :mad:

viperjer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks
I ordered one today. They had one refurb left. I got it and the remote for $415.00 delivered. Is there any difference between new and refurb?
Thanks Jerry

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ZO6KLR--Got my invisicord for my V1 yesterday but mirror mount is on back order. Possibly the end of next week. Think they are getting quite a few orders on the mount.

I was going to order a V1 refurb but they did not have one at that time. I was told - no difference and has full warranty.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks,

Robbie

robbie, I thought you had me on ignore?

Hell why would I do that? Believe it or not even ZORROESPANOL ordered green air filters from me for his viper. :2tu:
You never can say never!

Robbie

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ZO6KLR--I was surprised-got the mirror mount today. Sooner than expected.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpcc