Best Shifter

Butch The Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was looking for the best pistol like shifter that is available on the market. I have seen what BTR has but thought it to be a little to bulky.

I would like to hear from everyone..

Butch
SMS Racing
01 Yellow GTS
10.33 e.t @ 136 m.p.h.
93 Supra 615 r.w.h.p.
02 360 Modena
03 Porsche GT-3 Cup
AC Cobra 460 Ford Racing Motor
03 SL55 AMG
03 BMW 760i
03 Escalade

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What you really need to do is get a shifter, and not a shift knob. I just installed a new prototype shifter from SVS, and it rocks! I don't know how I ever lived without it! My shifts are so much more positive now, and I can really bang the gears without fear of a missed shift! They should be coming out soon. Very good mod for the money in my opinion!

mystic

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I need a short shifter.. I've got the Tom Welch shifter and i hate it. Any recommendations where to purchase one?

dave

VIPER D

Viper Owner
Reaction score
best combo

b&m ripper and mgw gripper nob

take a look
6400b_m_ripper_shifter_for_viper.jpg

6400IMGP2300-med.JPG

vd..

Tommy K

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm with Viper D.

B&M ripper w/ an MGW. However, some feel the gripper makes it too short, and a bit too hard to throw. The MGW first strike is a bit taller and works awesome too.

Tom

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go with SVS! Support the Viper community! They make a great shifter, they support the V10 Nats, and they show up when they can! I don't remember seeing B&M out there! ;)

Fishtail

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the b&m.....hated it! Felt too notchy and I had it removed before I put 100 miles on it. What does the SVS shifter feel like?

VIPER D

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Go with SVS! Support the Viper community! They make a great shifter, they support the V10 Nats, and they show up when they can! I don't remember seeing B&M out there! ;)

good point, I just did this set up about 1 month ago and didn't even know svsi made one. Can you post a pic or a link of a pic to the shifter.

thanks.
vd..

Brad Manhattan Beach

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had the b&m.....hated it! Felt too notchy and I had it removed before I put 100 miles on it. What does the SVS shifter feel like?

The SVSi is even notchier than the B&M. I had the B&M and hated it. Broke off two handles and trashed it. I went with an even "notchier" feeling SVSi shifter. In my book notchier is a more positive feel when you hit each gate.

So what is different on the "prototype" SVSi compared to the old one?

Thanks for the feedback.

Brad

Hisserman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's the post on the "other" :rolleyes: Viper web site that tells you more about the SVS -- looks like a good setup! Look under post heading "Shifter Advice".

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's not really a prototype. lol It's just a new, improved version of the old one. I really like it a lot better than stock! Like Hisserman said, check out the "other" Viper site in Viper discussions. Jr. went into a little more deatail about it. It's a nice piece!

rgavitt2002

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put in the SVS because I was getting gun shy after missing 3rd. It sits about 1" lower and I love the feel. Very positive shift. However, make sure your installer uses locktite, because my bolts worked their way out and it was a pain to get into reverse.

Red Mist Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My B&M is for sale (it's new, I never got around to installing it). I'll give anyone interested a good price on it...Thanks.

Brad Manhattan Beach

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I put in the SVS because I was getting gun shy after missing 3rd. It sits about 1" lower and I love the feel. Very positive shift. However, make sure your installer uses locktite, because my bolts worked their way out and it was a pain to get into reverse.

Also make sure thatthe bump stops are adjusted correctly or you can cause some unexpected wear on the transmission.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Also make sure thatthe bump stops are adjusted correctly or you can cause some unexpected wear on the transmission.

The new version of the B&M has no adjustments, a redesign was done a couple years ago.