best sounding exhaust

wastntim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now that I have had my 02 RT with 1700 miles for less than a week, I am getting ready to start my mods. :eek: I am looking for aftermarket exhaust suggestions. The only exhaust I have really heard to date is the borla, of which I was throrougly unimpressed. My 5.0 mustang is louder than my viper and that's just not right.

Additionally, should I be considering headers and if so what kind? Finally, should I consider changing or deleting the cats?

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My setup: Corsa 3" + Random Tech hi-flow cats. Sounds awesome, side-sills are noticeably cooler, and looks beautiful.

I'm running stock headers.

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What's better Coke or Pepsi.......

TOO subjective. Sound in in the ear of the beholder.

Everyone has their preference and they are fiercely passionate about the brand they have on their car

Here's my standard e"what exhaust sounds best" reply.....

Get to a VCA club event, Viper Days event, or just some Viper guys hanging out at the local ******* and listem for yourself.

Good luck!

OP
OP
W

wastntim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Weather pending I'm headed to the IL-VCA cruise to starved rock. I am just looking for suggestions of combinations, different manufacturers, etc.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This subject is very well traveled on these pages and quite a subjective choice. If you want deep rumble..then this is the way to go. This clip was recorded a year ago with a little Palm Pilot thing, I am spinning most of the way through 1st. gear. My brother chuckles a little at the end because I am about a 1/4 mile away at about 100 MPH and it's still sounds like I'm right there. We've been heard 2 miles away at WOT, yet cruising in 6th is not much different from stock. You need good speakers with a bass woofer to appreciate the 'music'. It rattles my desk.

We now have another car with Belanger Headers and 3" cat back Corsa exhaust. There is no comparison in the exhaust note between the two. The Belanger is quite a bit deeper and louder. At WOT the Corsa sounds OK, but I prefer the Belanger rumble. Others prefer the raspier sound of the Corsa.

I threw in a little donut clip as well. This was recorded with a small point and shoot Canon A510. Neither of these clips capture the magnitude of the rumble as in person.

Belanger Headers and 3" Belanger Exhaust

Donuts

Steve

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here are some of your options:

Cat-Back Exhaust Systems

B&B
Belanger
Borla
Corsa
Random Tech

Then there are hi-flow cats
Random Tech
Roe

No cats

Then there's headers......we won't get into that issue here

And then there are combinations of all of the above

Cat-back
Cat-back and hi-flows
No cats
Throw headewrs into the mix.........whew......

See what we're talking about?

GotAViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This subject is very well traveled on these pages and quite a subjective choice. If you want deep rumble..then this is the way to go. This clip was recorded a year ago with a little Palm Pilot thing, I am spinning most of the way through 1st. gear. My brother chuckles a little at the end because I am about a 1/4 mile away at about 100 MPH and it's still sounds like I'm right there. We've been heard 2 miles away at WOT, yet cruising in 6th is not much different from stock. You need good speakers with a bass woofer to appreciate the 'music'. It rattles my desk.

We now have another car with Belanger Headers and 3" cat back Corsa exhaust. There is no comparison in the exhaust note between the two. The Belanger is quite a bit deeper and louder. At WOT the Corsa sounds OK, but I prefer the Belanger rumble. Others prefer the raspier sound of the Corsa.

I threw in a little donut clip as well. This was recorded with a small point and shoot Canon A510. Neither of these clips capture the magnitude of the rumble as in person.

Belanger Headers and 3" Belanger Exhaust

Donuts

Steve

in the donut video... do you have any cats? or just belanger headers and cat back?

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
in the donut video... do you have any cats? or just belanger headers and cat back?

Both clips are the same set up: Belanger headers, no cats, 3" Belanger exhaust, 4 Race Bullet 3" mufflers----2 in the side sills where the resonators were and 2 in the back. I've gone through one set of mufflers over about 60,000 miles since the install in 5/01.

Steve

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was in the same situation when i bought my Viper. I didn't dare sell my 5.0 Mustang because i invested way to much into it. I LOVE the sound of my Mustang and wanted something that had the closest sound to it.
I went with B&B headers and full eB&B exhaust and it sounds AWESOME!

I still love the sound of my Mustang better but the Vipers Exhaust is pretty awesome!

KepRght

Enthusiast
Reaction score
im running belenger + no cat + borla & its very loud. will be adding an xpipe in the rear soon. i like the sound

syclone1157

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is a muffler shop near Dallas that takes sound clips of all of the installs that they do. They have done several vipers and have sound clips of many different systems such as Borla, Corsa, and even a custom built one. They also have some where they have only deleted the rear muffler and added an x-pipe. Give them a call and he will e-mail you the sound clips.

http://www.kinneysmufflershop.com/home.html

ghayes420

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just had installed the new Borla exhaust. From what I was told by my Viper Tech is that there is a new and old Borla exhuast, the newer one came out sometime this past 6 months- year. I have the new Borla cat back with RT high flow cats and my car sounds awesome and she gets compliments all the time.

BoeingMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What's better Coke or Pepsi.......

I wrote a paper on this very subject way back in college. Got an "A".

It all boils down to wether you drink either of these straight up or on the rocks...\

Matt
** ** happy hallows

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You've got to get headers, HF cats or NO cats, and 3" exhaust to get your RT to sound mean enough!

You are the only one who can decide which is music to your ears!

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Subjective indeed..

My '99GTS had the OE rear muffler deleted when I bought it a month or so ago. An interesting exhaust note, but a little too loud under power.

So I replaced the straight pipes back there with a couple 'massaged' 2.5" core/6" OD Dynomax mufflers, and removed the CATS at the same time.

Not a bad sound. Mellow and healthy sounding in some way. Good for ETs in the mid 12 teens.

Then I added my magic pipe up front. The one that I first reported on here to basically disinterested responses 10 yrs ago. Just an old exhaust trick that's been used by those in the know since the 60's or so mind you. - My exhaust tone got a little quieter,..!

After going back to the same strip today, I found that the addition of that "magic pipe" dropped my ET about .25 sec again! Just like on my G1 10yrs ago. :) With an 11.92 average after 2 runs (11.95 & 11.89). Not bad for about $100 worth of JC Whitney tubing.

The quieter it gets, the faster it goes...weeeeee

How does that sound ??

Before I quit for the day, I made one more quick run after adding an OE airbox that I'd taken the rain dam out of, and done a couple other tweaks to it. That yielded an [email protected] on that one effort.

Interestingly enough the "magic pipe" is known to work even on cars with headers at the front of a closed exhaust system as well. Maybe before it's all over I need to modify the collector area of a Belanger header system, add my 'magic pipe' and see if the magic holds ..

Or, if I'm gaining .25 sec-do I even need to buy $1500 headers??

Well..I've got one more skunk works thang to work on underneath the sidesills.. Hopefully I'll get it done before the drag season is closed until Spring, and can get one more test and tune day in at Milan Dragway before snow.

If I hustle I can get it done this week. Parts from Dr Gas and Burns Stainless are due to arrive early in the week.

Zoom zoom zoom

BoeingMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Then I added my magic pipe up front.

Hey FE 065 can you pass this "magic pipe" around so the rest of us can get a ****.

I mean what's with this alleged magic pipe buisness? Let us know what this is in more detail. Hec, cut us some slack man, and quit being so ellusive (although, your post was quite entertaining indeed). I was not here ten years ago to consider your magic pipe mod insignificant, so, more details please before we get really viscious on you. :0)

Nice times by the way :)

Matt
Post scriptus erectus: Overtones above not to be taken serious, just havin' fun. Again nice times. (Damn, isn't it a sad state of afairs when we have to post a disclaimer to what we say :) )

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interestingly enough the "magic pipe" is known to work even on cars with headers at the front of a closed exhaust system as well. Maybe before it's all over I need to modify the collector area of a Belanger header system, add my 'magic pipe' and see if the magic holds ..

Way to go FE065! ...Looks like you've worked a little magic for yourself. Are you taking into account the cool weather today for your comparisons?

I seldom drag race and am probably in the minority here, but the amount of power the exhaust made had very little to do with my choice of systems. I knew I would gain some power...no matter what I put on there. For me it was strictly about sound. I ran my $30 dollar rear muffler delete for half a year, but wanted more....much more. I like deep and loud on a Viper. I have quiet cars for other stuff. Our car in top gear, at highway speeds, is not a lot different than the stock sytem. We've been all over the country with it. I will say if it were a side piped car it might be a different story.

I agree with all above here that say to hear the different systems in person. I don't think idle/revving sound files are a good thing to solely base a decision on. Then too, if it's strictly 1/4 mile ETS you're after.....you'd best be getting the 'magic pipe'.

Steve