Best tires for GTS running 20s all around?

Red Shift

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a set of 20s coming in for my GTS. I'm a bit confused about the best tire to run. I learned that a 19/20 setup makes this easier with a 275/30R19 & 335(or345)/25R20 to keep the overall diameters the same, but this is not the case. What is the best setup for 20s all around on a GTS?

25 series in the front?
A 20" front needs a 25 series tire to keep the overall diameter the same. This seems like it might be too little of a sidewall to protect the wheel from damage in unexpected bumps and may be a bad ride. Any input?

PS2 runflats in back?
I see that PS2s only have a 335/25R20 in the runflat made for the ZR1. Is this a better option than the 335/30R20 that is a non-runflat? I have read others have difficulty with rubbing rear and the taller tire also lowers the overall gear ratio of the car.

Concerns:
I would to avoid running a taller overall tire than stock if possible for a few reasons:
1. Raise car up giving it the donked out offroad Viper look
2. Speedo error
3. Possible rubbing

So what is best?
I have two options in mind between PS2s and Invos. I would prefer to run PS2s because I run autox and possibly track days in the future more than drag racing.

PS2s:
285or295/25R20 Front (non-runflats)
335/25R20 Rear (note these are the ZP runflats from the ZR1)
Invos:
275,285,or295/25R20 Front
345/25ZR20 Rear

Thanks in advance! :2tu:

forexx4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Himanga, get some damn Firestone's and call it a day!

Ready for next month?! Tell them to sign me up for MSR.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I would call Tire Rack and ask for Luke at Ext. # 362 to make sure they aren't going to rub -- 20s can be problematic and you don't want to rub on that 17-20K hood!!!

OP
OP
R

Red Shift

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Use the Invos ----------never a good idea to mix/match tires even within the same brand.

Even when they're both Michelin PS2s? The only difference is ZP or not (runflat in rear). The tread pattern looks the same so that shouldn't affect clearing water during wet driving.

OP
OP
R

Red Shift

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would call Tire Rack and ask for Luke at Ext. # 362 to make sure they aren't going to rub -- 20s can be problematic and you don't want to rub on that 17-20K hood!!!

Thanks for his extension Bill. I'll give him a holler. Luckily, I'm not the first to run 20s all over.

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
>>>Even when they're both Michelin PS2s?<<<

A run-flat is a totally different tire to a non-run-flat. Think about the sidewall for example and the flex ... etc.

NEVER, EVER mix different tires on a Viper.

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think your best bet is INVOS, but if it were me I would not track your car with them. Great for the street, crap for the track.

Jance GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have 20's all around with Invo's and I have no issues. I have barely driven the car right now, but I don't think rubbing will happen. I would like to lower my car but it's not that important.

My speedo is off by only 3 mph and you have to turn your wheels when you open and close your hood.

I was the same way about the tire size in the front so I did get a bigger tire. The car looks good and it's doesn't look like a donk. You will be fine with this setup.

20x10(285/30/20 Nitto Invo
20x13(345/25/20 Nitto Invo

I bought my tires from Y2K5SRT and had them the next day!

Here is what it looks like at stock height. It actually raises the car up just a little but I consider that to be a plus ;-)

You must be registered for see images attach

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's a couple of great shots of a GTS with 19/20 PS2's looking like a 4x4 :rolleyes:

And they rub slightly on the rear...

But not at all on the front.

The hood closes with ease...

And 3.73's, OS Giken and a speedo box took care of the other trivia.

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images