Best way to close convertible top.....

mark777

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Any recommendations on best/easiest way to close '04 top when you don't have help??? Sometimes I seem to get top to close easier than other times... Live in desert and maybe it will be different when it's much warmer...

Don't want to look like I just rented the car by having a "hard time" trying to get the top closed...

Appreciate any ideas.

Mark

JoeBob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine seems to close the easiest when the trunk is still open, with it down the last inch is a little tough or I need to eat my Wheatees!

Vipera Russelli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just make sure that you pull the hand-operated release lever all the way back until it "clicks" and automatically holds the hook in the open position, which frees up both your hands to pull the top down to the closed position using both the hand holds. Then, when you get close to having it closed, just touch the level and it will release the spring-loaded hook, which will, more times than not, catch the hoop latch. If it doesn't, simply recock it, so to speak, and try again. Embarrassingly, I was originally trying to hold the spring-loaded hook back with one hand and bring the top down with the other until I figured out that the hook would hold itself back on its own. It’s easy once you get the hang of it.

OP
OP
M

mark777

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yeah, I also realized that the hook would temporarily lock back (the "click" referred to)...

I try this again when my Viper is out of shop... Getting the Cam-Sproket recall fixed and adding Corsa Exhast (non-crossover), and ATP heat shielding...

Dash Riprock

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine has not loosened up yet, although we have not had the best top down weather. I have to do a pull up on the handles and use my chin to make the latch shut. If I had three hands it would be a breeze.

Dash

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dont try to do it with the passenger door closed and window UP - it's a MAJOR pita.

I can stand outside at the driver's door - with door open, passenger window down and it's really easy. When the pass door is closed, the "smart glass" goes all the way up to the top and makes closing the top difficult.

Hope this helps.

gowings

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the chance to tour the factory awile back with fellow members of motorcity. It was so fun yet unprofessional. Our tour guide didn't do a professional job from a "know how" standpoint. I know it is a factory, but *&$#@-damn go into some detail! These are vipers! You could pretty much run loose in that place. I talked to some pretty key people in the building only when i got seperated. The last guy i talked to was a guy at final inspection. HERE IS WHAT HE SAID TO DO WITH YOUR CONVERTIBLE TOP ASSEMBLY.

UNLATCH THE CONVERTIBLE LEVER PLATE INSIDE THE CAR. TIME
THE "ACTION" RELEASE BY PULLING THE LEVER UNTIL YOU FEEL FRICTION. BASICALLY YOU TIME THAT LOCK SWITCH AND THE LEVER AT THE SAME TIME SO YOU DON'T BLOW OUT YOUR FINGERS!

THEN WHEN YOU CLOSE THE TOP YOU PUT IT INTO THE BAY AND THEN YOU SLAME THE S.O.B CLOSED!

"Wow, I said," I just thought your try to lock it with your hands first than close it? Wrong you just let the slam to all the work, and it will do the job trust me. Just make sure you give it a little push to see if it is locked.

Reaction score
Putting top up - Open trunk lid, release top, raise top about 6" from windshield frame, sit in the seat lower windows a few inches, grab hook on the top and pull it to latch with bar in windshield frame and clamp top in place. Done!

drdaveSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
THE BEST WAY......SEATED/Parking/Security/Weather....
SAfesest when car is off, windows/brake up...

reach over to pop open pass door, or tell the pass to leave their door open when getting out until your done. Since this is difficult for all passengers, you'll have plenty of time to listen to them sill scuffing.
keys out of ignition, pop trunk before getting out...
Keys in pocket before the amazing, perfected, non-silled left leg swing, ass shift with right foot to dead pedal, coordinated full body thrust/lift out. Don't stumble, its possible. Leave door open.

Walk/Stride/float to trunk and raise 60% w/ a strong RH lift.
If the trunk pulls you down and people laugh, just open and adjust stops. It will possibly not be the last time.

Back to DR door. LH lightly pushes top down and RH pops latch, slips under edge and slowly lifts as LH moves to center to grab/lift.

Gently approximate fit, then grab header latch RH and expand just short of the click while just now pressing down top center LH. Ensure latch engagement and close. Don't crush fingers. You will not see RH.

BAMM. Close doors and remove Snake Eye Viper golf clubs in a black leather Viper bag with a bangless, 1 motion zig-zag. Close, do not slam, trunk. Alarm.

This way you don't have to get back in the car, but sometimes you just can't wait.

I think VOI8 should organize/time this new competative category. I don't think anyone could best 10 seconds.

GO!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tbone96