Bitten: So what do I have to do, in order to get a part from Dodge?

Jackson06SRT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
As of 3 months ago I joined the group of people who been bitten by the Viper :(

Was taking a drive with my wife early on a weekend, it was cold but I was taking it very easy. Came up to a red light and went right onto the access road, didn't give it gas or brakes and the rear slides out. I correct the first slide out, then it slides the opposite way, I correct and it goes the opposite way, correct again and I feel traction for a split second and then before I can do anything I'm doing almost a 360 degree spin. The spin was stopped by my right rear wheel hitting the curb and popping up on top of it and I sliding a little ways down. I bent the rim, broke the rotor and knuckle, so I got off really lucky as there where cars all around.

I had the original runflats on my 06 and coupled with the cold I was just asking for it I guess.

So it has been in the body shop waiting for a Right Rear Knuckle ever since, I have all the other parts but Dodge keeps pushing back the date on the part, and they just pushed it back for a 4th time till march 28th.

I know there are some used parts but I would like a new one with a warranty is why I ask how can I get this part?

I also ordered new tires from PartsRack and can't wait to get my car back on the road.

Thanks,
Jeff

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So it has been in the body shop waiting for a Right Rear Knuckle ever since, I have all the other parts but Dodge keeps pushing back the date on the part, and they just pushed it back for a 4th time till march 28th.

I know there are some used parts but I would like a new one with a warranty is why I ask how can I get this part?

It's not a wearable part. Why would warranty be a problem?:dunno:

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the original runflats on my 06 and coupled with the cold I was just asking for it I guess.

How those tires were ever allowed for use on a high performance car is a real mystery.
And a shame.
God knows how many Vipers have been damaged due to them.

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I correct the first slide out, then it slides the opposite way, I correct and it goes the opposite way, correct again and I feel traction for a split second and then before I can do anything I'm doing almost a 360 degree spin.
Something I've heard others say, "In a slide, Both feet in." I know it happens in split seconds so it's hard to react. Sounds like damage is minor though. No way i would wait for the part. Get it from somewhere else.

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
your lucky there was no frame damage and that parts broke to take up the impact. Why no get a used part? Your other knuckles are used parts. I understand your view I would feel more comfortable with new as well, here is an idea buy a used one then install the new one when it arrives. If dodge has already pushed the date 4 times there is a good chance it will be pushed a few more times. Do you really want to go all summer without your viper?

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Call VPA or Woodhouse and see if they have anything in stock. If they do they might be able to transfer to your dealership.

OP
OP
J

Jackson06SRT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for all the posts I will try all the advice.

It's not a wearable part. Why would warranty be a problem?:dunno:

Just going off the advice of my body shop, so don't really know.

your lucky there was no frame damage and that parts broke to take up the impact. Why no get a used part? Your other knuckles are used parts. I understand your view I would feel more comfortable with new as well, here is an idea buy a used one then install the new one when it arrives. If dodge has already pushed the date 4 times there is a good chance it will be pushed a few more times. Do you really want to go all summer without your viper?

I will if I can't find a new one soon, and I was REALLY lucky it wasn't worse than what happened as there were cars in front and behind and passing me as I'm sliding. It could have been much much worse.

racerjim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I suppose thats good advice depending on the situation. at my last track day event i slid the back a bit and didn't correct in time, so my answer was to floor it, Smoked the heck out of the rear tires but it did a quick 360 and i never left the track. Worked in my situation but i guess each one is different.

Glad you got the parts to get your baby up and running again.:drive:

Kala

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jeff, Contact Dan @ DC Performance he has the part.

PAvenomRT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Slysnk,
the saying goes "when in a spin, both feet in" meaning brake and clutch simultaneously. When sliding, the first thing is to attempt to correct the slide by countering with opposite steering with the realization that if you correct fast enough you will have to almost immediately re-correct in the opposite direction as the slide stops and the car comes about in the opposite direction. This is all easier said than done.
PAVenomRT/10

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang