black smoke

albinonile

Enthusiast
Reaction score
just got back from a short drive about 10 miles--parked her in the garage, stopped for about 2 minutes--started it back up and noticed that when i throttled a little bit in neutral, small puffs of black smoke came from the exhaust-i depressed the gas a few time to 1500 or so rpms and it puffed the first 5 or 6 times and then went away--i did notice this prior, as it was parked next to my white counters in my garage, so the contrast of the black puffs of smoke made it more noticeable. I am not talking alot of smoke, just short puffs--does this sound normal?-Ben

OP
OP
A

albinonile

Enthusiast
Reaction score
it goes away after a 30 or 40 seconds of running--do you mean go away completely? as in not do it any longer even at first start up, or as in never emits any black smoke at all even when first started up?

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I mean go away completely.

Unless you've been messing with your tune or your engine, I wouldn't expect to see black smoke coming from the exhaust.

I never saw that from my car (until I blew up my engine.)

Bad_Byte

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think if it continues it may be indicative of leaking valve seals. There may be other reasons as well but I think that's a common problem usually associated with higher mileage cars.

OP
OP
A

albinonile

Enthusiast
Reaction score
update

just went out after the car was sitting about an hour--started it up--same deal--black smoke-fairly heavy--forgot to mention earlier also-feels like it is missing when i gas it a little--kind of rough like not wanted to accelerate smoothly at neutral--30-40 seconds, and it dissapears, engine revs normally and smoothly no smoke---it is weird because it does not smoke at all when driving-does not seem to run rough and acceleration is smooth and brisk(as far as i can tell-my first viper)but as soon as i turn off the key, wait 5 seconds even and restart it--same drill-black smoke-rough throttle for 30-40 seconds and then it is gone and smooth as can be--almost seems like a fouled plug, but i do not think it would dissappear after 30 seconds if it was a fouled plug. Starting to get to panic mode--any input would be appreciated.

kwiksilver

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I doubt it is valve seals as it would be bluish smoke, black smoke is usually unburned fuel. I would guess you have an injector clogged or defective and leaking after shut off. It would go away after a few secs. and make a small miss till cleaned out

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
First tell us if the car is stock.

Could be a number of things even if stock. Sticking injector, clogged cat which has run up the fuel adaptive, faulty 02, bad plug/coil/wire, etc.

OP
OP
A

albinonile

Enthusiast
Reaction score
kwiksilver
that sounds like it may be it--i just noticed as well right across from where the exhaust points at on my white mica cabinets in my garage looks like a black spray that came from the exhaust-but that describes it to the t--"small miss till cleaned out"

yes-daniel--the car is completely stock 04 with 3970 miles

OP
OP
A

albinonile

Enthusiast
Reaction score
just started it again-exhaust has a slightly gas odor-same spray coming out of exhaust-slight gas odor

JB/SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When the engine is cold, check the dipstick to see if the oil is overfilled.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Has the check engine light come on? Car sounds like it is running really rich, and have you changed your driving habits at all? If it keeps up , pop in to your local dealer and have him check it out. We have seen similar instances , occasionally with cars that are babied and driven around town alot, where they are just loaded up a bit - could be something that simple. Dan has some good thoughts for you too, so just keep an eye on it, and get it checked out if it doesn't clear soon.

OP
OP
A

albinonile

Enthusiast
Reaction score
no check engine light---temp is running at an even 200--oil temp dead center--oil pressure between 50 and 75 most of the time--i was thinking that too. Like it was babied alot, and then i have been getting on it a little--nothing too harsh, but i did notice this arise after i got on it a little today. stomped it at about 25 mph in first-chirped a little-it was fun

Cris

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is it from both side pipes or more from one?

I had the opposite condition due to a faulty O2 sensor causing the engine to run lean on the right bank only. Possible that it could fail in a different manner as well. Just a thought.

OP
OP
A

albinonile

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i could not tell for sure, but a friend told me that it although black smoke was coming out on both sides, he said it definately looked to be coming out heavier on the right side-passenger side

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Albinonile--

This mamba is the car you just picked up right?
Hopefully its somethng minor-
I picked up my 03 with 4100 miles on it and when i went to pass the local emission test it failed.....piss me off.
After the dealer had it for a few days it did pass but some of the sensors were not responding for some reason.
The point is I know the feeling...
Good luck. And remember that the passenger side exhaust is the left bank of the motor.(drivers side).

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I say 02 sensor and you've fouled the plugs. Not getting a complete burn, hence the gas smell, smoke from the fouled plugs???

G

OP
OP
A

albinonile

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks to everyone for the help and private emails--i am going to take it in the morning and have a few things checked-i will definately update you guys tommorow--any other input or you have had a similar problem--please keep replying!!--hope my snake is alright

OP
OP
A

albinonile

Enthusiast
Reaction score
UPDATE
just got back from fairbanks dodge service in coconut creek fl--waited until 11am for a 9am appointment--the "viper tech" looked at the car for 10 minutes-they pulled it back around and said everything was fine. I got pissed. I said the black smoke is not normal. Talked to the viper tech and the service manager at fairbanks, and they both said they all do that, they happened to have an 05 there so they offered to start it for me so i could see. Bad battery, would not start-so they started an 06 and said see-look at the smoke--there was no smoke--no missing when revving--i said see what smoke?-this car is running fine. The viper tech and the service manager insisted that it is completely normal and that all srt10's do it because they are programmed to run extra rich--i was getting infuriated. Talked to the service director and he said it was normal and that i should leave the car for a few days and he would look into it--i did not leave it and said that i would make another appointment--i did not feel comfortable leaving my car there for some reason. I am really starting to lose it on this car. Any help anyone. Anyone know any good local (broward-boca area) mechanics that specialize in vipers that may be able to help--i am sure it is something minor, but to have the viper tech tell you it is normal for the car to blow black smoke after a warm start up everytime for 40 seconds and miss while reving it up is really ******* me off. I mentioned the 02 sensor thing and that maybe it was a bad plug, and they said that would show up on the computer, so it is definately not that. I love this car, but i am starting to loose a little faith.

OP
OP
A

albinonile

Enthusiast
Reaction score
how many 02 sensors does an 04 srt10 have---how hard is it to change the plugs at home-

JB/SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think DLM is in Miami. Think about making an appointment with him and have him tune it for you. He has a great reputation on this board.

OP
OP
A

albinonile

Enthusiast
Reaction score
just talked to doug and he seems like an excellent guy--had no problem talking with me over the phone about it--i am going to bring it down there tommorow and let him look at it-would rather pay someone that knows what they are doing than let the dealership have it back-Ben

kwiksilver

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From my experience what is happening with the smoke, and missing is NOT normal. However you're visit to the dealer may be common.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfal0003