black soot after every drive?

jwbond

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think I am running pretty rich. I have black soot after every cruise (which I wipe off w/ micro-fibre gloves). Do most vipers have soot or am I extremely rich?

Flash Gordon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think I am running pretty rich. I have black soot after every cruise (which I wipe off w/ micro-fibre gloves). Do most vipers have soot or am I extremely rich?

I think most tend to run rich. I've got Roe H/F cats with B&B back and I have more black residue than when I was stock. There have been posts on this subject before and IIRC, it's normal. I just keep on top of it after every drive and wipe it down. Otherwise, I've had to clay it to remove...

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
same here. always have plenty on the back of mine. a good coat of wax on it and washing it evertime i drive it helps...:)

Gavin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chances are the car has overheated at some point. during such a overheating cycle, the computer is designed to dump fuel into the cylinders which cools the engine.
Even after cooling down and shutting off the engine, it will continue to run rich each time it is started and driven, until the computer is reset.

To reset the computer, unbolt the battery disconnect under the hood - leave it disconnected for a few minutes.

Re-connect, let all the guages cycle, you will see more lights than this years Christmas tree, then take it for a good long drive - 10-20 miles, running up thru the rev range in every gear. The computer will reset and that should be the end of the black soot all over the rear of the car

Jeff Torrey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't tell from your signature what year your car is or what you have done to modify it. I went through this on my car, keep a close eye on your oil level.
My car was using a quart of oil every 500 miles. I bought my car used so my guess it it wasn't broken in properly by the original owner. I had Chuck Tator rebuild the engine, replace the rings.

OP
OP
J

jwbond

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I thought it might be pretty common, but figured I'd check.

Great tip Gavin! I'll give it a shot.

Jeff, it is a 96' GTS w/ intake, headers, 3" exhaust pipes.

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's normal if you are crusing around all the time. Get on her for a while and air her out, alot of that will go away! :2tu:

OP
OP
J

jwbond

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It's normal if you are crusing around all the time. Get on her for a while and air her out, alot of that will go away! :2tu:

She's "aired out" constantly ;)

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score

She's "aired out" constantly ;)

Well then, you are running rich constantly! :D

Get a PCM flash from DC or hook up a VEC II (maybe III), and you'll gain power and less soot! :2tu:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang