Bleed off rate of lifters?

Tim

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I’m setting my lifters on my Stryker Package in my 2002 RT10 and I have no or low bleed lifters in there. What I have noticed is that some of the lifters have not bled down so it is easy to set the lash. Yet others have bled down so trying to determine exactly where zero lash is has become a little more difficult. The car was warmed up so by the time I have gotten around to doing all of the lifters maybe 4 to 6 hours have elapsed.
When the car is running the lifters seem to be working fine.
So, besides being a pain to set these perfectly would this be considered normal (I’m thinking not) and what will be the implications if any?
Thanks

Tim

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seeing as they are in fact hydraulic lifters, I'd set them all to the "not bled down" setting if that's the right pre-load you are seeking. I'm assuming that should be similar on the Jessels as to what is used on the TDs...aka one turn in from all the way out... assuming you have the correct pushrod length too. On the TDs, you end up with .050 pre-load depth this way.

OP
OP
T

Tim

Viper Owner
Reaction score
When cranking over the engine to do my compression test I found that the oil would pump back out my rockers and pump up my lifters. I was able to get a more definitive feel on when I had zero lash and re-adjusted from there.
But I don’t think it is normal for ½ the lifters to bleed down over the course of a few hours.

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think they are actually bleeding down to the extent the OP suggests...otherwise when it first starts, it would rattle like heck until pressure built back up and took out the lash. I don't think that has been the case. But what the heck do I know. I;m just sitting here on a beautiful Sunday posting on a Viper forum. Sad.

OP
OP
T

Tim

Viper Owner
Reaction score
A light touch on the top of the rocker would depress the plunger on the lifter. Not on all of them but on about ½ of them. Later doing my compression test I had oil pumping out the rockers so I went around and readjusted the lifters within 1 ½ hours and they all stayed full. There is no question that these will bleed off in 4 or 6 hours. Yes when I fire the car up there is a slight ticking until I have oil pressure.

In there I have the Mopar Low Bleed lifters 53020586 and I’m not impressed. The factory ones after being out of the car for several weeks were still pumped up.

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Something definately sounds amiss with those lifters. My '01 lifters would hold pressure just fine when I set the lash. But I ultimately modified them as solid lifters so no bleed down at all now!

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tim, I have those lifters and mine stay pumped, no bleed down. Any chance you mistakenly. Installed some of the bleed down lifters?:dunno:

OP
OP
T

Tim

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hello Tony, I installed what came in the box. It’s possible I received some that are slightly defective or some that had been miss boxed. When the car runs, it runs fine it’s just when setting the valve lash it’s a pain when the lifters have bled down.

Probably the next time the heads are off (more compression would be nice) I will change them out for something different.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21