blew my top...

Photo pro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I heard recently that the hard tops are bad about just flying off. I recently hit about 80 mph and the back of the top raised about 3 inches due to the vacuum created. Scared the ---- out of me not to mention my passenger. I pulled over, pushed the top down and slowed it down a little. My rear latches were not doing their job and probably needs to be replaced. Thank goodness the front latches were working.

Have any of you ever blown your top?

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you must check the bolts on your 96 and earlier every once in a while. On my trip home from Bradenton, I had one come completely loose. I just tightened it, and away I went.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The rear section will pop up if the latches are not hooked properly, or of course, if they have gone bad. You might want to verify they were properly latched before thinking they have gone bad - sometimes you might get both of the scissor-like prongs on one side of the part they hook around. Also, they can be adjusted if they have gotten out of wack. Check all that before dropping $900 on a new set of rear latches. And while your checking your rears, make sure your fronts are screwed in properly as well.

BruceW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My front latches would periodically work themselves loose. Scared me to think what would happen if they released so I made a set of pins to fit into the latches and which are held in-place by velcro. No more worries.

99BLKRT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Same thing happened to me. In my case, both latches were on the "side" of the thingie they were supposed to latch around. Addjusted it and everything is fine now...

Jeff Torrey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Happened to me with the soft top. Same thing, scared the crap out of me. I quickly swung my arm out the window to catch the top. Often times you see damaged tops on e-bay for sale, from the exact same problem. It damages the side rails up front where they snap in. Side rail repair kit costs $1700.00. Now I always double check the latches in the back, by trying to lift it up after it latches. The latches are adjustable.

picflight

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PRE-DRIVE CHECK

Every pilot does this, a pre-flight check and most riders do a pre-ride check. Check the essentials before every drive and in your case whether the latches are secured and anythother thing you can think off that you dont want happening on the open road.

my2cents

AJT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When my 02 RT was 1 month old I opened one of the latches & a spring shot out. The front latches would not stay closed, good thing for duct tape. Made it to Dodge. They had to replace the both latch assemblys. I think the assemblys were 800.00. Good reason for a extended warranty!
Andy

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All who are talking about REAR hard top LATCHES, this is not the case with the '96; it has two bolts (allen Head) that screw into the front of the sport bar from the inside, after the leather padded part is removed. Now, all you '96 (and I guess earlier,) have you ever wondered why there are 4 BIG bolts to hold the padded sport bar cap on, and only 2 not so big bolts to hold the hard top on ??
CRAZY ??

doctorbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a faulty header/top attachment with my first viper...the 290 something(forgot the vin number) RT/10 built. I had a eighteen wheeler **** the top right off and then another one drove over it. The thing must have gone thirty feet up into the air before landing and getting squashed.