Blocking entire forums?

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is there a way to set it where we don't see threads from the Politics 101 forum in the "most recent posts" list at the top of the forums in User CP or somewhere? I don't mind the forum and actually fully support it :2tu: I just choose not to have those topics listed on the most recent list because I couldn't really give a rat's @$$ about them and prefer not having to hunt for the last 10 Viper related posts since most of the time 4 out 10 most recent threads are from Politics 101. I have CNN, MSNBC, etc on cable TV if I need to get a political fix. Again, nothing against the forum or the posters :2tu: FWIW, I'm not the only one with this concern/complaint, so if its no way to do it, might be a nice option to add (depending on how complex that would be). I tried blocking one of the thread starters to see if that would work, but it didn't. I still see the thread listed, I just can't see what they actually posted.

Last edited:

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I spent about an hour working on this yesterday. You will note that it was renamed for starters. We also made it "private" in that it cannot be seen by unregistered users or casual visitors. We then made it unsearchable so that it will not come up in the forum searches. All that said, I could not find a reasonable way to keep the threads from appearing in "most recent" outside of possibly making the forum "URL only" - you wouldn't see or be able to find the forum unless you knew the actual URL for it. Given that most have no clue what that URL is, it would essentially delete it. No worries, I have turned to our crack forum programmer to see what he can do. Fingers crossed.

And one other note on that forum: I have been reading the posts both for and against it. I never read it myself. However the challenge is that during an election it is all but impossible to prevent those discussions from taking place. Without a defined place for it the moderators would be fighting to police it on every turn. You would find political posts peppering every subforum we have. At least this way we can "corral" them into one location and keep the rest of the site in relative order.

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are a couple of different ways for the Admin to do it.

If you need an VB coding help, let me know.