Bloody Hell!!

sssammm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fist day out in my srt-10 with just fitted new Michelin sport tyres and i get a screw in the side of a rear one
Really expensive over here, but i foud a pair of these new, would they fit ok?
345/35/ZR19 110Y PIRELLI PZERO CORSA, being a 35 insted of a 30?

sam

351carlo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sam,

The 35s will be taller. The tire you're referring to is a pretty aggressive tire as well, seems to be more of a track tire and they seem to be pretty costly.

The 345/30/19 size comes in a few varieties. It's possible that the original OEM runflats are expensive where you are, but did you see if there is an offering for the PS2 tire? I'm not certain what's available your way, but I'm sure some other Euro members will chime in ASAP.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i feel your pain, hope you find a good solution

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you tracking the tyres (see, I'm a Brit)? If not a proper patch should be fine for street use ... even spirited street use.

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
^^^^ If you can find a shop that will patch them, in my experience they always say "oh we can't do that wouldn't be safe" which is BS in my opinion for normal driving (especially on the rear). I think they just want to sell a new tire. :mad:

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
^^^^ If you can find a shop that will patch them, in my experience they always say "oh we can't do that wouldn't be safe" which is BS in my opinion for normal driving (especially on the rear). I think they just want to sell a new tire. :mad:

You can always patch a tire that was punctured in the tread area. Damaged sidewalls or shoulders where the tread meets the sidewalls, that wouldn't be recommended.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
these:

Are you tracking the tyres (see, I'm a Brit)? If not a proper patch should be fine for street use ... even spirited street use.

or this:

You can always patch a tire that was punctured in the tread area. Damaged sidewalls or shoulders where the tread meets the sidewalls, that wouldn't be recommended.

:eater:

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Post of photo of where the wound is on the tyre.

That will help for some of the tire guys here to give you a little better advice.

George

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with what Nine Ball says. I haven't heard anyone say that it is safe to patch a sidewall. There is to much flex to insure a good durable bond. No one wants to be liable for what could happen.

To sssaammm, I feel you pain. It happen to me too. However, I was fortunate enough to have an road hazard insurance policy on the tire and got it replaced for $55. They don't do that anymore!

Last edited:

tzortzViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
:2tu:

I agree with what Nine Ball says. I haven't heard anyone say that it is safe to patch a sidewall. There is to much flex to insure a good durable bond. No one wants to be liable for what could happen.

To sssaammm, I feel you pain. It happen to me too. However, I was fortunate enough to have an road hazard insurance policy on the tire and got it replaced for $55. They don't do that anymore!

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have 2 patches in one of my rear tires and I still drive over 180 mph

I'd say that certainly qualifies as "spirited".:D
Agree about the sidewall issue, but with a proper tread patch, you'll be absolutely fine. Buth then again you did mention "side". :(

Ricksnake1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also had a puncture into the sidewall area and thought I could get away with a patch. I forgot that to get a patch to stick, the sidewall needs to be scuffed up. There is not much meat on the sidewall area for any scuffing to take place.:usa:

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess there's no such thing as "road hazard insurance" where you buy your tires, huh?

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess there's no such thing as "road hazard insurance" where you buy your tires, huh?

They generally don't offer it for expensive tires. A friend of mine was the manager at one of the local Wheel Works. He wouldn't give it to me. But I harassed enough during installation that he finally gave it to me. It cost 10% of tire cost. It really paid off as previously posted.

They won't do it for me anymore.

latamud

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fist day out in my srt-10 with just fitted new Michelin sport tyres and i get a screw in the side of a rear one
Really expensive over here, but i foud a pair of these new, would they fit ok?
345/35/ZR19 110Y PIRELLI PZERO CORSA, being a 35 insted of a 30?

sam

I run 285/30-19 PIRELLI PZERO CORSA front and rear on my 66 Mustang. They need to be warmed up to grip. When cold they will break loose easy.

Timnineside

Enthusiast
Reaction score
these:

or this:

:eater:

I actually own/operate a tire shop here in Michigan. Some "states/insurance" will not allow a tire dealer to put a patch on the sidewall. I only do it on my own tire, and very, very close friends under certain circumstances. Some places get really weird about repairing 1" or closer to the sidewall, and repairing anything for that matter.

A patch on the side wall will fail 90% of the time. Its not so much of if, but when. May be 6 months, may be 6 years you really never know. It's NOT the fact that the patch has nothing to bond to, its the fact that your sidewall has to much flex, and is almost always flexing then heating up, and cooling. This causes the glue to fail, and the bond to be broken. I have had better luck with the plug/patches, and vulcanizing plugs.

If I were you, and would find a smaller shop and try to ask them their opinion. Just keep in mind that it is still back there, and I think for peace of mind I would probably buy a new tire, or always carry a spare.

Go in, tell them you KNOW the risk, its on the rear, the tires are very expensive, and say you DON'T need a reciept, and will sign anything for a disclaimer and you should be all set! Or mail it to me here!!

Goodluck brother, hope it works out for you!

-Tim

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
fine post Timnineside, thanks

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dam, Oh I feel your pain :( Thats like throwing away over £400.00 :omg:

To be honest, the only way out of this is a new tyre ;) You could check out the prices at Costco, they have discounts on Mitchelin tyres every now and again.

Good luck
Mark :uk:

OP
OP
S

sssammm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got mine with discount at costco, £460.00,

Ill post a pic of the hole, ill try to go the patch route

Update, the screw was in at an angle, tire pressure 29, took the screw out friday evening, 2 days later, still 29!, I think I may be lucky here...

Last edited:

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got mine with discount at costco, £460.00,

Ill post a pic of the hole, ill try to go the patch route

Update, the screw was in at an angle, tire pressure 29, took the screw out friday evening, 2 days later, still 29!, I think I may be lucky here...

Hmmm, that might be the worst case scenario.

My first car was an old Trans Am and one day I notice a nail in my rear sidewall. Since the old nail was slightly curved, it went in and stuck part way out. I was for sure the tire was ruined and would not hold air. (I was only 19 and didn't have the cash for a new tire). I pulled the nail out and to my amazement it didn't leak a drop of air. Drove the car for another 15k miles until the tires had worn out.

My fear is since it did not puncture the carcass completely, it would be hard to determine what kind of damage you might have (there may only be a paper thin layer of rubber holding air in, ready to let go when you least expect it, like during high performance driving). So if I understand you correctly, you pulled the nail out and it is not leaking one bit?? On a normal car I'd probably just drive it and monitor the pressures, but with your performance potential, I'd be inclined to just replace the tire and play it safe.

Best of luck,
George

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have to correct an earlier post. Tire Rack does offer Road Hazard Protection for the Michelen's and Kuhmo's.

Next set's will be from them....

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte