Blower motor resistor

Miguel

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hello,

A few days ago, I posted a question relating to a problem with my A/C. Thank you for the answers. I now know that my problem is the blower motor resistor. However, I can’t find it. I am in the UK, so taking the car to the dealership is not an option.

Can anyone tell me where it is located? My car is a 2003 Viper

Thank you,

M

trymyz

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Passenger side footwell, If you look at the blower motor there is another litte device forward(toward seat) of that held in with two screws. Pull it out and if the tab is not soldered anymore that is all that you need to do to make it work. My solder joint came loose, so I soldered it and it worked at all speeds again. If it is still soldered then the resistor is bad.

Red Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can purchase the blower motor resistor other than the Dodge dealer? The dealer wants $140 for the resistor used in a 2004 Viper.
Thanks, Bruce

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Its an oddball peice... dealer is the only one I have found so that matches. Also, check out your blower motor, if it has seized up on you, it would explain why you popped the resistor, seen it a few times...

Red Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Dan for the information. I remove the blower motor resistor and discovered that the jumper strap came unsolder from the terminal connection and I re-solder it and now the fan speed works in all positions. So I guess I got lucky this time, and saved $140 for now. Regards, Bruce

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks Dan for the information. I remove the blower motor resistor and discovered that the jumper strap came unsolder from the terminal connection and I re-solder it and now the fan speed works in all positions. So I guess I got lucky this time, and saved $140 for now. Regards, Bruce

Hi Bruce,

That strap is like that on purpose to blow out rather than pop the resistor itself. However, it was indeed caused by something... you may want to pull the blower motor and make sure it spins freely, clean it out and lube the bearings, etc.

Red Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Dan for the information. Apparently the current in the blower motor circuit was higher than normal at some point in time and caused the strap to become dis-connected, something like a fuse-able link. Too bad the fuse doesn't blow instead of the resistor. I will have to investigate the problem in more depth. Regards, Bruce

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks Dan for the information. Apparently the current in the blower motor circuit was higher than normal at some point in time and caused the strap to become dis-connected, something like a fuse-able link. Too bad the fuse doesn't blow instead of the resistor. I will have to investigate the problem in more depth. Regards, Bruce

Hi Bruce,

Mine popped this season as well after taking the car out of storage. The problem was that the motor had seized over the winter, and the low speed setting was not enough to break it free. I ended up just replacing the motor and resistor.

Red Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Miguel, I had a problem with my blower fan where it only worked in the highest fan switch position. I removed the blower fan resistor that is located under the glove box area on the passanger side. It has a connector plugged into it (4 pin connector). Remove the 2 screws & the resistor & see if the jumper is unsoldered from its connection, and if so, re-solder the connection. Good luck Bruce

Red Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Miguel, See attached photos of blower fan resistor.

Attachments

• Resistor_Jumper_not_connected.jpg
    Resistor_Jumper_not_connected.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 116
  • Connector_removed_from_resistor.jpg
    Connector_removed_from_resistor.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 115
  • Resistor_side_view.jpg
    Resistor_side_view.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 92

Latest posts

Forum statistics