Blown Tire on the freeway , put a crack in the real panel

Lundqvist

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i was driving on the freeway, and blew my rear driver side tire.. like it literally blew up.. i slowed down pulled off the freeway into a small street about a quarter of a mile.

i dont think the rims are damaged because there was no sparks and the leather was still covering the rim. i just really hope i didnt damage the axle. but i didnt drive it high speed when it blew so i hope not.

what i did do, beside blow the tire is theres now a crack in the rear side panel with about a 2 inch peice of the fiberglass broken off..

My tires are 20 inch ZR20 PZero Rosso
question..

how worried should i be about the axle?
how worried should i be about the rim?
its 20 inch tires, where i can order them online?
can i change the tires my self?

and most important how much is it to fix the repair on the panel? how much is it for a new panel for a 2004 conv SRT black

Last edited:

dragon rider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank God you are O.K. Other will be able to give some helpfull info about your vehicle.

OP
OP
L

Lundqvist

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank God you are O.K. Other will be able to give some helpfull info about your vehicle.

I know at first i saw the body panel and i got pissed!!! im sure that damn panel if i want to fix it i have to replace the whole thing and im sure its gonna cost alteast 900 dollars without paint.

then i realised.. blown tire going 75 on a viper.. and im safe and sound without a scratch on me.. i didnt kill my self or anyone else..

i realised how lucky i was..

that being said.. i found these tires on craigs should i get them? 275/25- ZR20 Pirelli P-Zero Rosso

the tires that was blown was 345-25-zr20

/http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Pirelli&tireModel=PZero+Rosso&sidewall=Blackwall&partnum=425YR00ARV2&tab=Sizes

Last edited:

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You might be able to change the tire on the rim but you will still need to get the tire balanced, so I would leave the whole thing to a good tire shop capable of balancing a 13J rim Not sure how wide your 20" rim is but the 275s are unlikely to be wide enough.

At least you still have a car and are OK :2tu:

OP
OP
L

Lundqvist

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You might be able to change the tire on the rim but you will still need to get the tire balanced, so I would leave the whole thing to a good tire shop capable of balancing a 13J rim Not sure how wide your 20" rim is but the 275s are unlikely to be wide enough.

At least you still have a car and are OK :2tu:

Pirelli PZero Rosso

those are exactly the tires i have in the back.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You mean you didn't flip, roll and blow up like cars do in the movies?

Sports car + blown tire = no worries. Just let off the gas and coast to a stop.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You mean you didn't flip, roll and blow up like cars do in the movies?

Sports car + blown tire = no worries. Just let off the gas and coast to a stop.

True, but he's lucky it was a rear tire. 75 MPH blow outs up front are a much greater battle to keep it all together.

Any idea what may have caused the blowout? Do you recall driving over anything? How old and how many miles were on the tire?

Zentenk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hopefully its something you ran over and not the tire randomly bursting.

OP
OP
L

Lundqvist

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i actaully think its my fault. the way the tire looks i think it might have blown because of low tire pressure. is that possible?

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There was a video on here somewhere telling you what to do in case of a blowout. Counter intuitive, but you're supposed to floor the car. This helps counteract the side forces a blown tire generates. Once you've got your wits about you, you then slow down in a more controlled way. They showed videos of them doing this and explained in detail why it worked.

In any event, nice job staying alive and keeping the shiny side up.

OP
OP
L

Lundqvist

Enthusiast
Reaction score
im sooo pissed about the body panel though.. i really was hoping to get a 2008 hood soon.. it seems like thats out of the question now.

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Low tire pressure causes the tire to heat up and can in fact cause tire failure. Happens to tractor trailers all the time. A tire goes down, the driver doesn't realize it because he has so many others, tire heats up and comes apart. However, I would think that you would have noticed the car driving differently if the pressure was really low or you would have seen it sitting low when you got in. Were you really driving that far that the tire could have overheated from low pressure? Wouldn't happen if you had only driven a short way IMO.

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
By the way your posts don't say what kind of car or where you are located. With your location, someone might be able to offer up a great body shop to fix the car.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
"...the way the tire looks i think it might have blown because of low tire pressure. is that possible?"

Yes, quite possible.

Just curious...were you using tire pressure sensors??

Glad you are OK...call JonB at PartsRack for panel info.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i actaully think its my fault. the way the tire looks i think it might have blown because of low tire pressure. is that possible?

I'd say, definitely possible. It isn't very visually obvious when a low profile tire is low on air if you aren't looking for it, and it will still drive pretty good in a straight line if you are driving casually. It could manifest itself as being darty especially when you get on and off of the gas. You might have had a nail puncture and a slow leak. If you drove it with low pressure, you would have damaged the sidewall and the belts to the point of failure.

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A large number of blow outs are caused by low tire pressure. Chances are that may be your culprit. ***** thought!

OP
OP
L

Lundqvist

Enthusiast
Reaction score
im in orange county california, can anyone reccomend a good auto body shop down here?

by the way my rear rims are 20 inch .. so i cant even get PS2 cause i think they only come in 19 inch tires right?

bmw2nv2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is the very reason I have tire pressure sensors being installed in the 20/21 3 piece wheels & tires that I have on order. So I know when those low pro tires are low on air just looking you can hardly tell even if they are completely flat. 3 piece wheels are notorious for slow leaks from the seams and since you were riding on 20's Im willing to bet you are riding on 3 piece wheels and that may very well have been why your tire went down. If your wheels are 3 piece wheels then I would recommend getting that wheel resealed before installing a new tire just to be safe in case the wheel was leaking from the seam or this may very well happen again:2tu:

Darbgnik

Enthusiast
Reaction score
P-zeros are runflats as well. Probably why you didn't notice the low pressure in the tire. Do you have tire pressure monitors in these aftermarket tires? Probably a safe idea. Because you can't tell by looking at run flats.

I've heard a lot of people like Nittos as an alternative to PS2's

BTW, I had a rear tire explode on my motorcycle going 140, I was also lucky to just pull in the clutch and ride it out. The tire was new, had it changed at a dealership, but they obviously didn't put in enough air, only enough to seat the bead. Tire came apart like a tractor trailer retread.:omg:

I still have the carcass as a reminder.

OP
OP
L

Lundqvist

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just a flesh wound... hahahah

Imageshack - qaurterpanel.jpg

i cant believe the tire flaps blew a small chunck off.. and just for that small peice i have to replace the whole real quarter panel.. gah!!!!

screw it .. im gonna paint that part in to match the black.. and leave it untill i sell the car or something..

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now that's some excellent photography. Man those must have been some ancient Pirelli's cause I haven't seen "leather" sidewalls for some time.................................................. Glad your ok.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Again, I raise my question (likely overlooked above) on tire pressure sensors...was the TPM System intact and working??

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
True, but he's lucky it was a rear tire. 75 MPH blow outs up front are a much greater battle to keep it all together.

A little bit more, but not much. I blew out my right front at 130mph at Sebring, about three feet from the retaining wall. Same response required - stay calm, let off the gas.

TV has conditioned us so badly. Defensive driving courses should be required for everyone. It is disappointing that so many car people, particularly financially stable folks like most Viper owners, don't take their kids to Bob Bondurant or Skip Barber schools a few times before they turn 17. Traffic accidents are by far the number one cause of death among the 15-24 age group yet parents are too cheap, dumb, lazy or scared to let a professional teach their kids how to drive.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I cant believe the tire flaps blew a small chunck off.

You have to compare your good fortune to what a tire blow out can really do to the surrounding bodywork. I know two people who have had tire blowouts that did major bodywork damage. However, I have experienced two blowouts on motorpool cars that created no damage. So, its just luck of the draw. None caused loss of control of the vehicle, though. I agree that that is due to lack of skill/experience/training in most cases.

You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
L

Lundqvist

Enthusiast
Reaction score
does anyone reccomend a good body shopt in southern cali? idontthink ill need a qaurter panel..

only 1 peice about 1 inch long blew off im sure they can fill it with some sort of fiber glass resen..

UPDATE - Heres a better picture so check this out.. in this picture you can see that small crack on the lower panel which i think is actaully part of the bumber. THIS ****ING ******* auto body shop in garden grove california this ****ing ***** is like.. yeah to fix that that small crack we have to PAIN THE WHOLE BUMPER..

serously sick of people who want to take advantage of others..

anyway found another guy wholle grind polish fillin and fix both broken peice and come to my house and do it for 500 totall.. which i think is prety good. anyway look at the picture and let me know what you think.

You must be registered for see images

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited:

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
anyway found another guy wholle grind polish fillin and fix both broken peice and come to my house and do it for 500 totall.. which i think is prety good. anyway look at the picture and let me know what you think.

You know that they are good body and paint guys, if they are willing to do a house call ! :rolleyes:

I was at a Rubio's recently and saw a couple of guys doing bodywork on a Civic in the parking lot. I knew they must be top notch because they were working out of the trunk of a nice looking BMW. One guy with hammer and dolly pounding away, and the other mixing up bondo.

Just be careful that you have a good idea of what you will be ending up with !!! As long as the guy came through a recommendation from a trusted source, it could turn out OK.

OP
OP
L

Lundqvist

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You know that they are good body and paint guys, if they are willing to do a house call ! :rolleyes:

I was at a Rubio's recently and saw a couple of guys doing bodywork on a Civic in the parking lot. I knew they must be top notch because they were working out of the trunk of a nice looking BMW. One guy with hammer and dolly pounding away, and the other mixing up bondo.

Just be careful that you have a good idea of what you will be ending up with !!! As long as the guy came through a recommendation from a trusted source, it could turn out OK.

yeah, well this guy is a grandfather whose been doing this for 30 years, his pictures looks really good, and used to own a body shop before.. but he sais doing this solo allows him to save a ton on overhead which helps keep the costs low.

anyway as you can see form the damage, my situation isnt really critical, if someone knows what there doing it could be okay.. but im not paying him tell he does the job and im satisfied..

V

Venomiss

yeah, well this guy is a grandfather whose been doing this for 30 years, his pictures looks really good, and used to own a body shop before.. but he sais doing this solo allows him to save a ton on overhead which helps keep the costs low.

anyway as you can see form the damage, my situation isnt really critical, if someone knows what there doing it could be okay.. but im not paying him tell he does the job and im satisfied..

Maybe give Dan Cragin a call from DC Performance in SoCal. He might be able to help send you in the right direction.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
06Quad