Body repair hours help

sirhc76

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For those who have done this I'm looking for a little assistance. My insurance company is quoting 15 hours labor for RI on a passengers side quarter panel and 6 hours paint. To get the QP off both rear wheels, the battery cover and wheel liner of the passenger side have to be removed. Is 15 hours enough time even for a competent tech to remove and install these parts. Keep in mind the passenger side quarter panel has to be removed which I understand can be fun.

The body shop that I'm taking the car to seems to think that it will take a little longer than that so I'm going to have to work with the adjuster and want to have my facts correct. They insurance company also wants to repair the cracked glass on the panel vs. replace, may have to do a little battle on this one. This is on a 96 GTS.

Thanks all,

Chris

OP
OP
S

sirhc76

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Dave

The shop that I took the car to is very familiar with vipers, the owner has two of them. They have never done a QP and their RI time is higher than than my insurance appraisal, obviously the appraiser works for the insurance company. I simply want to make sure that Im as accurate as possible if I have to discuss it with the insurance company.

Chris

Reaction score
Most insurance companies will repair if they can so that does not surprise me. The R&I time is about right for one of our guys anyway, they won't pay just because someone else has not done it before so you might get a little, but I would not expect much. The cost of a new quarter would be very high compared to a repair but if you can find them one you like reasonably then they may appease you and pay for it.

OP
OP
S

sirhc76

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Mark I was hoping you would chime in.

My estimate from the insurance company is $1300. The quarter panel has a crack running from front to back to back caused be a front fascia and the paint on the rear bumper cover is spider webbed along with a gouge about 10 inches long. Id rather not have a repaired quarter panel for obvious reasons. I see no reason why we should have to pay a higher premium due to the perceived cost of replacing parts on the car and then let them repair at standard rates. Obviously they are in business to make money so payouts cost them.

Let see how they handle it, hopefully they will do what I think is the right thing on the car.

Chris