brain fart on soft top..help

02ViperTodd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi All,

I've only used my soft top once in 5 years, however I wished I'd had it dozens of times. I wanted to put it together and take it to my office because this time of year you can never tell about the weather. When I folded it out and tried to put it together it was impossible, then I reliased that one of the cross supports is different than the rest. I put the odd ball one in the middle but this thing is a lot tighter than I remember...Any hints???

THanks,
Todd

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It tightens up when not used in a while in the folded position and when it's cold. Try to let it sit in the sun to warm up and it should go a lot easier. Not sure if you still have the bag, but the instrutions should be sewn onto the outside of it.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You going to Road Atlanta Sunday? If so, I'll be there and happy to look at it for you. Whats a good Viper tech go for these days? $120/hour? :D Even if you get it before then, give me a call anyway if you're going to be at RA!

OP
OP

02ViperTodd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hay Chad..Call me..I don't have your pn on my phone anymore..yes I'm going to RA this weekend, (I think Wilson will be there) just got my year pass.

I tend to agree with ViperJohn..This thing was like stringing some kind of spandex that you (Chad) would wear...
Where you gonna stay? If up for a couple of days let Leno detail my car...adn I've got a place for ya..

Todd

OP
OP

02ViperTodd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BTW..that doesn't explain the one bent cross memeber..I'm assuming it goes in the middle..and I don't have the original bag as I bought it off e-bay without it..
Thanks again,
Todd

OP
OP

02ViperTodd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok..put the flat cross member in the front and got it together...put it on the car but it doesn't look right, the back is pulled up and not sitting flat on the car and the middle of the top is like a tent. I'm going to leave it like this for a couple days to stretch the fabric.

I originally thought the flat crossmember should be in the center but I couldn't stretch the fabric that much. Now I'm pretty sure that's where it goes.

I'm only putting this info here in case someone else has this problem as I couldn't come up with a search to solve it.

I'll be updating when I change the cross members around.

Todd

Kincaid

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a 2002 also. The designer for the soft top should be taken to the back of the designer lab and shot!!!!! I gave up using the soft top and just drive with poorly designed hard top. I actually statred looking at new Corvettes as they have a power top. I went from a Corvette to Viper -- have 8800 miles on it now and enjoy occasional spin around town.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960