Brake dust is a pain in the @ss!!!

Hiper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is it just me, or does the Viper seem to release more brake dust than any other car!
frown.gif
I've owned several sports cars in the past, including a current 01 Porsche, and non seem to release this much brake dust
pissed.gif

I know that it damages the chrome finish on the wheel, and thats why I clean my wheels every few days to keep them looking perfect
confused.gif
I've heard about some Green something brake pads which release much less brake dust, and was wondering where I could get those, and how much they cost! I'd appreciate any info on those
smile.gif

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
VIPER is a heavy beast vis-a-vis the Porsche. Takes longer to stop = more dust {and puckering} trying. Lottsa flywheel weight spinning, and a heavy motor up front. 86-14% brake bias on most Vipers....a tad less drastic on your ABS car.

EBC Greens make cruiser folks genuflect with reverance. Priced at less than 40% of OEM pads! Replace fronts for $79 and eliminate 90% of dust w/ no squeek. Better brake bite when under 200f... Much improved endurance on 'gen-II' EBC Greens.

Rear install can be a bugger on ABS cars....rear dust is not a problem anyway? Requires a $39 tool and some patience.

Available from Great Brakes and PartsRack...both linked above

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hiper:
I know that it damages the chrome finish on the wheel, and thats why I clean my wheels every few days to keep them looking
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Newbee training item.....

Unless YOU had your wheels chromed, they are simply high-finished, hi-polished, forged, clear-coated aluminum. The clear-coat indeed yields to brake-dust abrasion and becomes "milky" or cloudy over time. CALIF CAR DUSTERs after/between Zainoing is the best procedure ... keep seperate dedicated used dusters for wheels only. I have 8-10 oldies for wheels !

viperdoctor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey JonB, is there anything to repair the clear coating from this milky appearance on my 2001? I now have the greens on all four corners...

prodiver

VCA Member
Reaction score
To answer your question on repairing clear coat. I have done quite a few of them. Try a mild abrasive cleaner first. If there are chips in the clear coat the only way to get the shine back is to strip them and repolish. If you are going to do it yourself then go to a good automotive paint supply store and get a stripper that is recomended for wheels. They also sell a clear coat that is a 2 part epoxy and is made for wheels. Remove the tires and apply the stripper, you will see the clear coat start to bubble. After the clear coat is removed you have to polish the wheel. If you do it by hand it takes a lot of elbow grease unless you have a high speed buffer. For around $25.00 a wheel you can send them out to be redone or for around $600.00 you can have them chromed. After the wheel is polished not chromed you need to apply clear. Use a good automotive wax and grease remover to clean the wheel first. Then you have to reaply the clear coat. This clear coat is very toxic and if you have not had any experience with a spray gun this is better off left to a good body shop. If the rims have a good polish job they are not that difficult to keep shiny without the clear coat. Just takes a little elbow grease. Good luck.

Steve Miehe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Zaino (Z-6) works great at removing the brake dust. It has become a ritual whereby the wheels get wiped down each time the car goes back in the garage (wipe the calipers down too). Keeps 'em looking nice. I'll replace the pads with the "green" ones when the originals wear out...........

2tall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll caveat that; they make less dust after the first 500 or so miles of being put on.

Mine still toss a little dust and a little squeak each time I hit the brakes, and I've had EBCs for 1000 miles.

Kurt 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really like my greenstuff pads!!
smile.gif
Very little dust and squeek!! Look under the New Products and Supplier Specials under the main window for a message from greatbrakes.com. Also, JonB at the Partsrack can assist as his prior posts indicate.....Kurt

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
yeah the EBC are good pads, but do give off a little dust too. But they are WAAY better than the factory pads. I spray painted my greens black so the green wouldn't show. It's worth the money to buy them and less headaches to clean. I carry a small cali duster to quickly wipe the wheels off when needed.

I think the EBC Greens actually brake better than the OEM pads do. maybe i'm just crazy, but My tires lock up quicker when braking.