Brake Dust ?????

Robert1994

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have chromed (not polished) 96 wheels on my car.
I noticed that I was getting what I thought was brake
dust on the wheels. When I had the chance to clean them
I tried soap and water, but it didn't seem to clean
up. I tried scrubbing them harder, but still have most
of the discoloration there, as though it's staining the
wheels. These are stock brake pads.
Does anyone have safe way to clean the dust off ??
Thanks, Robert

jgfurr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You could try using clay-bar on your rims. My wheels are chromed as well. I used clay-bar to get rid of all the dust and metallic shavings, then used the Zaino treatment like JMcGuire suggests. It worked great. In fact, I then proceeded to clay-bar and Zaino the rims on my other cars as well.

Ron Hickey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You will be happy with the EBC green pads. At, I believe, around $140/set for VCA members they will give you no dust, no squeal and a more linear pedal response. I've got 9000 miles on my front set (still waiting for 2001 rears!) and I am very satisfied. Save your stock pads for the track.

A local VCA member told me that he bought a set of Bendix ceramic pads which he said are dustless. Supposedly these are a new compound. I can't offer any more info on those; I'm just passing on what he told me. My recommendation is still the EBC green (GreatBrakes.com).

Geoff Green

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Try spraying brake cleaner on your wheels. It should remove the embedded dust and does not matter if it gets on the brakes. It does not leave any residue and will actually strip the oil off your skin if it gets on you.

Kurt 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I second the EBC Green pads!! Once you have them on the car you'll wonder why it took you so long to do so
smile.gif

FRANK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used this product on my polished aluminum rims caled "Awesome."
Comes in a clear spray bottle with red lettering. The liquid is a yellow (***) color - so the bottle appears yellow. My father buys it at the local dollar store and it cleans everything great from whitewalls to brake dust to oil spills on the floor. It is truly amazing...and best of all it's only a buck for a nice sized bottle. I just used it on my rims yesterday while detailing the Viper!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang