Brake Fluid Change.

98viperGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I did a search but could not find out what is the best way to change the brake fluid. Is there an easy way that one person can do it and what type of fluid do I need? A step by step would be great. I just have never done anything with the brakes before.

Thanks

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Buy a pressure bleeder by Motive Products for about $50. The 3 prong adapter fits a non ABS Viper perfectly. There are a few tricks and tips that help bleeding, once you've done it once you'll never use anything else.

Use Valvoline Syntec for daily driving. It is at all parts stores in a pint size for $5. Get two for your first bleeding attempt. Use MotulRBF600 for track days. It is an amber color.

'02 RT/10 Joel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to hijack - Does anyone know for sure which adapter to get for an ABS ('01-'02) Viper? I already have the Motive Products pressure bleeder, just haven't been able to use it on the Viper yet.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
From my thread for Craig in 2005:

" Craig, the 2002 Service Manual Miller Tools listed are more complex...for pressure bleeding, "Use Bleeder Tank Special Tool C-3496-B, or equivalent, with Reservoir Cap Adapter, Special Tool 6921..."

To bleed the master cylinder, use "Bleeder Tubes 8358-1, Wooden Dowel, Adapter 8822-1 and Adapter 8822-2 "

And, for the ABS system controllers, you'll need a DRB III, as I"m sure you know.

For general interest, the 1995 pressure bleeder adapter cap is Miller Tool 6643....same tool is also used for the Gen II NON-ABS cars. "

P.S. I service our Gen I's, II's, and Gen III Vipers' brakes with a suction type bleeder frequently...and PERFECTLY... using a Vaccula system. Also help a couple of racers do their brakes with the same system. It's easy to use, and straightforward...and no chance to pop your plastic reservoir due to pressurization.

Joel...DO NOT get air in your ABS system (which CAN happen with the pressure or suction method...though I personally think it's easier to screw up with positive pressure on the reservoir)...no way to fix without a DRB III in hand

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another vote for the Vacula. I've never been able to get the Motive system to seal properly on my master. Once even had fluid leaking all over! Vacula is much safer IMO.

RoadiJeff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Is there an easy way that one person can do it and what type of fluid do I need? A step by step would be great.

I changed mine this past summer using a cheap one-man brake bleeder kit from AutoZone. The kit was around $8 and it did a pretty decent job. I wouldn't recommend it for someone who changes their fuid after every outing at the track but for me, who only changes it every few years, it's nice.

DOT-4 fluid is what's recommended.

OP
OP

98viperGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I just looked at the Motive Brake Bleeder and it was almost 100 bucks. is there a cheaper model? Also, how does the system work?

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You could also instead get speedbleeders (speedbleeder.com) and install them on your car. The site says 92-97 vipers, but the same bleeder works on 98s as well, I know, I had one.

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know it is preference but I love the Motive pressure bleeder. The universal cap is a PIA but I've successfully used it on a BMW and Corvette. The Ford 3 prong adapter screws right on non-ABS Vipers so no leaks. I like it because I can put all the fluid in, pressurize, and just go wheel to wheel. After each caliper I check the pressure an pump it up a few times. Because it is a continous flow of pressure I think it has much more of a chance to push out air bubbles than the other systems.

98vipergts, It is $50. You must be looking at the wrong model.

KERS-VPR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Another vote for the Vacula. I've never been able to get the Motive system to seal properly on my master. Once even had fluid leaking all over! Vacula is much safer IMO.

I have done 3 Vipers and other vehicles with the Motive bleeder. I used the universal adapter and never had a problem.
-only tighten the cap after the fluid is running in the resevor and leave an air gap in the master cylinder (do not fill to the top)
-pump up to about 5# - 8# on the Motive bleeder and do all the brakes starting at the rear first.
-after your done with the last one, let the bleeder open and hold the Motive bleeder on its side to push air up the line from the bleeder to the master cylinder and the close the bleeder. This way you won't spill fluid all over when taking the cap back off.

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A tip with the Motive Bleeder is to put the cap on the reservoir and pump up without fluid in it. I pump it up to 18psi. Come back in 5 minutes and if it is still at 18, release the pressure, add fluid, pump up and get going.

I also calculate aproximately how much fluid I should run through each caliper based on the number of ounces I put in the bleeder. For instance if I put two of the large ValSyn Dot4 I think that is about 64ounces. I run 12 and 10 ounces through the rear calipers. Then 4-4-4 (with the in out in process per service manual) on each front. I use a glass jar marked with ounces that I dump the fluid into. This ends up at 46 ounces and leaves room for error. I know this is unnecessary but it works for me and I see little air bubbles come through even when clear fluid is coming through.

Turkey baster out clutch fluid and refill with excess.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang