Brake Light Question

green_rt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello,

Holiday weekend project time: my wife has noticed that my 1994 RT/10's brake lights stay on intermittently (most often at freeway speeds, for some reason). I don't notice any change in the car's acceleration, so hopefully the brakes aren't actually engaging.

I have already replaced the brake light switch (https://viperpartsdepot.com/products/brake-light-stop-lamp-switch-viper-95-02-oem), and the problem persists. Where would you look next?

Thanks!

Goggles Pizano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brake lights or rear running lights. You need to be clear on which one. Both sides, one side?

If during driving, probably going over bumps and shorting a wire/connection.

OP
OP
green_rt10

green_rt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey, thanks for the reply! It's the brake lights. All three light spend time illuminated when I'm not braking, but it's intermittent. It could be due to bumps, but it seems to mostly occur on highways, which are fairly smooth.

Goggles Pizano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bumps, vibration same results.
You can disconnect the brake switch and go driving in the evening or less busy hour and see if it does it.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
My mom's 94 does something similar. Almost every time she hits the clutch the brake lights will come on as well. The two pedals are on a common pivot and I think over time the bushings get a little sticky so when you press the clutch it actually drags the brake pedal along with it just enough to trigger the brake lights. Seems overly sensitive on the switch, though maybe that can be adjusted. Wondering if you might have something similar going on where the switch is right on the edge of triggering at the neutral position so any movement engages it.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
She still has it, lol. She was the reason I got my 04. Drove hers a few times and thought it seemed fun, but I wanted a roof and windows because it was going to be my daily for work. She wanted one ever since they came out and finally managed to find one. There's something about the early ones that are just really fun to drive. Mine is better in almost every way as far as performance and comfort and stuff like that, but hers is just special.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The elemental rawness of the Gen 1 is so unique and engaging! Coming from big-block and Hemi Mopar muscle cars, the Gen 1 was a huge technological step forward, but still quite raw. When I took my GTS for a first test drive, it was so much more refined, and so much easier to drive fast. I went ahead with the trade-in, but I still revel in the opportunity to drive a Gen 1 when it presents itself!

OP
OP
green_rt10

green_rt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
@GTS Dean, I agree: it's totally raw, which I really love. I've only ridden in a GTS Coupe, but my limited experience suggests there's a decent difference between the first two gens.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala