Brake Reinstall help

lagalaxy13

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I goofed and took my brakes off before I bought a service manual.(On my list of things to get) Can someone either PDF me some info or tell me some torque specs?
What's the torque specs:
rear hub nut
Cailper mounting bolts
ebrake bolts
ebrake spring nut

Also what's the best way to reinstall the ebrake and attach the cable?

I took each side off a different way and neither really seemed to be the "right" way.

Thanks a bunch to those that can help me.

PacificSEASnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What's the torque specs:
rear hub nut = RFT or 258Nm (190 ft. lbs.) and why did you remove this?
Cailper mounting bolts = 115Nm (85 ft. lbs)
ebrake bolts = upper bolt to 32Nm (24 ft lbs), lower bolt to 52 Nm (38 ft lbs)
ebrake spring nut = couldn't find this.

Manual says the only serviceable parts of the e-brake caliper are the guide pin bushings? You should have inserted a pin to lock the auto-adjustment and relieve the cable tension. This could be the difficulty in reinstalling the cable.

Get a manual asap! Lots of pictures and info on this, especially the part about the auto-adjust spring being preloaded and serious injury!!!!

OP
OP
L

lagalaxy13

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What's the torque specs:
rear hub nut = RFT or 258Nm (190 ft. lbs.) and why did you remove this?

ebrake spring nut = couldn't find this.

Manual says the only serviceable parts of the e-brake caliper are the guide pin bushings? You should have inserted a pin to lock the auto-adjustment and relieve the cable tension. This could be the difficulty in reinstalling the cable.

Get a manual asap! Lots of pictures and info on this, especially the part about the auto-adjust spring being preloaded and serious injury!!!!

Are you sure 190 ft lbs? Darn going to have to find another torque wrench mine only goes to 150.

Not being in the garage for 5 months to work on anything leaves your brain in "numb" mode. So that caused me to remove the nut. I was taking my rotors off to paint the insides and without thinking the next thing I did was remove that nut. The weird thing was I did the fronts first and didn't even think about it. Guess don't work on stuff after a long day late at night.:(

Sorry I meant ebrake bolt that holds the external spring on. Not nut

Well i was having my ebrake cailper powdercoated so the spring was going to have to come off one way or another. I knew it had tension on it, it's a spring. I've learned enough over the years to have that covered. But just not sure what the right way is to get it reinstalled there just didn't seem to be that much slack in the cable to pull it back on. There might be I just could be super weak.

THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP SO FAR!

PacificSEASnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are about two pages worth of info on the e-brake cables/adjustments/etc. in the manual.

At least I gave you an excuse to buy more tools.:D

OP
OP
L

lagalaxy13

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well guess i'm screwed for a few weeks till a manual comes in. Was kind of hoping to get the car out of the garage. Can someone scan those pages for me in the mean time? Didn't think the ebrake was that big of a deal for there to be 2 pages of info on it. Would rather not put if back together wrong and have to tear everything apart again.

It's funny everytime I buy a car I get a manual, friends give me all kinds of crap for using them, but figures the first thing I do on this and I screw myself without having one.

LynnS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You have a PM and should have a Fax with the information promised, Good Luck - Lynn

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery