Brakes feedback

Topawam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Looking to upgrade my brakes. Dave's kit is out of the question because of my 17" rims and I keep in mind Tom's solution.
I am looking at Brembo, Stoptech, Baer, Willwood and more and find this site:
MOV'IT WebSite
Does anybody know about this kit? I like the "Viper Bling Effect" :2tu:
I would also appreciate feedback on all the other mentionned brandt.
Thank in advance.

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Topawam,

I have Tom's brake upgrade and it is a night and day difference. Viper seems to squat down and just STOP! Went with EBC rotors and used Hawk pads which have minimal dust and very good stopping power. (I hate the EBC green pads I put on my Rover - less dust - but less stopping power - in my opinion.)

Tom, I did not realize that was you producing the rear brake covers. Is there any concern that when the brake pads wear down, that the nut will hit the rotors?

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ah, my secret life as an entrepreneur. Actually, it's a vain and desperate attempt to look as good as Dave's stuff.

The nut is outside the radius of the rotor, so it can't hit. And actually, the covers prevent "unintended interference", since they will keep a loose brake pin from backing out and hitting the inside of the wheel spokes.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Heysie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got Mov'it brakes on my BMW M3. They look exactly the same as a Stoptech caliper, but their pad is a little higher.Their products are not cheap. The same setup from Stoptech would be 30% cheaper for the M3.
The caliper on the pic on their website is a monblock, so they are very expensive.

OP
OP
T

Topawam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ok Guys, some of you did not know about MovIt, so I just wanted to show you some of the pics they sent me. I did not upload the whole bunch, just the main stream. I spoke with Tom, the US representant, very nice. Each order is custom, rotors and calipers made from scratch.
Here it goes:

You must be registered for see images

Not only Vipers:

EA6BPilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll second Rocket62's response regarding Tom's brake kit. I can absolutely tell the difference and am more comfortable knowing I can stop better.

Now if only I didn't have to sell the car........sniff....sniffle. :(

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those bad boys look EXPENSIVE!

I concur TOM'S rear brake kit is freaking AWESOME!
I have Tom's rear brake upgrade, Porterfield R4S brake pads all around and Rotor Pro's drilled and slotted rotors.
Also the rear brake caliper covers black with silver lettering, looks sharp, even though i haven't put them yet, darn deployment!!!
Heres a pic of the front, can't find the rear photos?

Put it this way the rear brakes are so good now, i can't even do a brake torque, so now i have to buy a LINE LOCK! oh well hahaha

JiPi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nices brakes!
Besides of prices, do you know what is available for stock 17'' wheels? Any clearance problem with the rears?

OP
OP
T

Topawam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Prices are a notch above average, but still decent.
I discussed a set of 13" rotors with 4 pistons calipers for the front. Price was $3500.00. Each order being custom, there is no problem of clearance. They also provide the E-brake kit.
Disclaimer: I do not work for "MovIt", just wanted to share their products. ;) They look really great.

Reaction score
Do you plan to use the brakes? If yes dump the 96 cast :nono: wheels. These wheels have failed at track events. But if the upgrade is for the street and/or Bling then it is ok to go with the smaller upgrade kits.

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have Daves SRT upgrade on my 02 and they are 100 times better than stock :2tu: ...
I would go with Dave's or Tom's kit just because its all mopar parts (not sure on the piston in Toms kit)....

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 40mm piston is the OEM piston with a sleeve, same as done for auto restorations. Just in this case, the sleeve is added to the original diameter to increase the diameter from 36mm to 40mm rather than cutting the piston down and sleeving back to OEM diameter. Except for the 40mm piston seal (which is a standard Brembo part) all other parts are OEM Dodge or Brembo. Be happy to provide all the part numbers.

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I researched Mov'it when I had an M3 also. They were expensive but popular over the Brembo package which was fairly equivalent. The caliper and rotor they used then were Porsche OEM so, yes, the rotors had the holes cast in them and were not drilled. These look different, but I suppose the rotors could be the race monoblock off the GT3?

Tom's product has had rave reviews among those with smaller OEM rears, but let's face it--there's no bling beyond OEM. I can attest to Dave's BBK in having the looks, the braking to back up those looks, and the convenience of OEM parts. Stoptech or Brembo would be a step beyond, but mostly for the looks of a one-off IMO. Mov'it 6 piston monoblock and Wildwood 6 piston might be a step beyond both performance and looks-wise.

In the end, Tom's and Dave's are apples and oranges. You need to decide what you want them for. For almost any reason, I agree I'd lose the wheels first.

TFEnt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do they discuss what the little round thingys are above the brake pad backing plate?

(I can sell you nicer Viper stickers... ;)

They are there to counter pad vibration.

Those are not stickers they are silkscreened and then clear coated. The calipers can have any design silkscreened on them.

Tom
TF Ent.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is the vibration that which causes brake squeal or other vibration?
To what are the weights attached or part of?
I assume the weights are a net benefit, but it adds to unsprung weight. Comment?
What is the size of the brake pad for the Movit calipers relative to that of the OEM brake pad?

Thanks and welcome to the VCA board.

TFEnt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is the vibration that which causes brake squeal or other vibration?
To what are the weights attached or part of?
I assume the weights are a net benefit, but it adds to unsprung weight. Comment?
What is the size of the brake pad for the Movit calipers relative to that of the OEM brake pad?

Thanks and welcome to the VCA board.

Thank you for the welcome!!

The weights are attached to the brake pads themselves. Yes they do stop brake squealing from a more agressive pad compound.

The pads cover 123 squared centimeters. I do not know what size the Vipers stock size pads are. The MovIt calipers utilize Porsche dimentional pads for easier replacement.

Tom
TF Ent.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery