Brakes Squeek like mad, what is the best brake pad?

MannyC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys,

I've got some Brembo Sprint Monoblock type brakes with 14" rotors on the front of my RT/10 with some serious race pads that squeel to the point where it is embarrassing to take out any more.

I am looking to replace those with something that will not squeek, yet is good enough to take out to road course events. I don't mind replacing the pads when they are done, but I don't want to be swapping out street pads with race pads each time I am going to the track, if I don't have to. Now if my options are limited, then I will do that.

Anyway, I was told that the EBC greens (which I have on my other Viper) will not fit the Brembo brakes. I heard that HAWK pads will fit it -- but which Hawk pads to go with? Anybody else have a similar set up?

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Vette girls run Hawks alot. Might wanna ask them. But I think if you wanna stop like a **** you're gonna have to put up with the squeal.

OP
OP
M

MannyC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So those of you who track your car all the time, do you swap out your pads before you go, or do you run around town squeeling like a ****** who's been stiffed?

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In my case I have a dedicated track car. But lotsa guys, shortly after "initiation" just leave the squealers on for the next event. In fact, a few guys even leave the numbers on. The dust and noise doesn't seem to be as much of a concern once you've blown your life's savings, the kid's college fund, and the folk's inheritance on an addiction and a $10 trophy.

Seriously if you're only doing 3-4 events/year then we won't give you too much grief for switching pads. :)

BoostedV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you ever hear the saying \"you have to pay to play\"?

that is kind of the nature of the beast when it comes to that particular Brembo setup that you are referring to. I am VERY familiar with EXACTLY what you are talking about and I have even talked with EBC about producing a pad for that caliper and they wont do it unless you buy something on the order of 40 pad sets so it is not really feasible due to the limited market of the aplication and the fact that the mono-block caliper is not even intended for street use. it has no dust boots to keep water and dirt out. And is also intended for frequent rebuilds. the caliper is very durable on the street. don't get me wrong. but it is a full race ONLY set-up. So other than Viper owners with that exact set up. no one else will even use the pad. So back to my original point.. when you put a FULL RACE brake on a street car. noise is the price you must pay for a quick stop. besides if you keep the rotors and pads HOT the noise goes away. :D

OP
OP
M

MannyC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: you ever hear the saying

So BoostedV10, it has been suggested to me by a particular shop that I replace my Brembos with the big Stop Tech brake set up -- would that make more sense for me, since I am mostly a street driver, and will be tracking my car 10 to 20 times per year? I am not tracking it at all this month, but I have 3 track events next month, not including any autocross or drag stripping I might attend.

What do you guys suggest?

Also, will I notice a difference between the Brembo's and the the Stop Tech?

Manny

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I found that Brakeman 3 pads are good for the track, they get up to temp quick so they're good for the street, a little squeal but not much.

BoostedV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

if you can stand the noise by all means keep what you have. no one can really beat Brembo as far as braking . you must ask yourself about what your intentions really are and is it really worth the money to swap out the Brembo set-up for a set-up that will perform about 80-90% as well yet have a "quite" pad avail? I think this will be the answer to your question. but if I were you I would keep them simply because:
1. They are AWESOME.
2. "people who know" will know exactly why the brakes are loud as opposed to people who "don't know" and think you have an $80,000 car yet cant afford a brake job. (kind of separate the "enthusiast" from the "poser" :smirk:

REDSLED

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Manny, before you spend another $4-5K on Stop Techs for all 4 corners you need to see if there is a street pad that will fit the Brembos. Those Brembos are a great caliper set up. You can always switch out pads at the track. There lies your dilimna, you want a tack car that will also double as street car or vice-versa. The brake compunds are completely differnt from street to track. Track pads need to get hot before they really start to bite or you'll get lots of squeak. Good luck.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'm very happy with my Stoptech (front) setup and Padgid R14s pads. This weekend at Sebring I ran Brakeman3 on my stock rear setup. No probs.

OP
OP
M

MannyC

Enthusiast
Reaction score

OK, so what place carries big pads that fit the big mono-block Brembo pads? Anybody know? I left a message and an email at two companies that carry racing pads, but have yet to hear back.

REDSLED

Enthusiast
Reaction score

What about the Hawk pads? Perhaps the Vette board could give you some insight on a distributor for them.

Jerome Sparich

Enthusiast
Reaction score

OK, so what place carries big pads that fit the big mono-block Brembo pads? Anybody know? I left a message and an email at two companies that carry racing pads, but have yet to hear back.

Not sure what year you have so I put in 95 RT/10

Ask them about pads for your Brembo's and see what they have.

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/results.jsp?category=Pads&scat=Pads&category=Rotors&scat=Rotors&category=BigBrakeKits&scat=BigBrakeKits&autoMake=Dodge&autoModel=Viper+RT%2F10&autoYear=1995&brand=all&perfcat=premium&perfcat=perf&perfcat=track&x=95&y=6

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine