Break-in?

blonzz

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Do others follow the break-in procedure outlined in the owners manual? I have heard different recommendations.

John

FLYNLO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
umm...yes. Follow the break in procedures completely. Engines need to be broken in properly for many reasons.

vipersrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
rumor has it to break it in the same way youre goign to be driving it so the computer sets itself to those settings, theres a whole thread on this topic

OP
OP
B

blonzz

Viper Owner
Reaction score
rumor has it to break it in the same way youre goign to be driving it so the computer sets itself to those settings, theres a whole thread on this topic

Is this the thread you are referring to?

Engine break-in?

It seems that the comupter learns driving habits. What about mechanical wear, parts seating etc... during the first 500 miles with more aggressive break-in?

Won't the computer reset itself once a more aggressive style of driving is adopted after following the manufactures recommended break-in procedure?

Why does DC as well as other manufactures outline just about the same recommended breakin procedure for new vehicles?

Thanks,
John

FLYNLO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can reset the computer manually. This will also make the car "re-learn" it's settings. Rule of thumb is, whenever you add mods to the car, like an intake or exhaust for example, you're supposed to reset the computer so that it can recognize this decrease in back pressure, and at the same time, give you the added benefits of the components. You must break in your motor properly. Failure to do so can cause the seals not to seat properly, causing potential oil leaks and such. Drive it like you stole it from the dealership sounds like something an A-hole would do. It sounds like someone leased the car, and does not care about the longevity of the vehicle and it's main components. It's downright irresponsible. Take care of the Viper just as if you paid for it and plan on keeping it for a long time.

Is this the thread you are referring to?

Engine break-in?

It seems that the comupter learns driving habits. What about mechanical wear, parts seating etc... during the first 500 miles with more aggressive break-in?

Won't the computer reset itself once a more aggressive style of driving is adopted after following the manufactures recommended break-in procedure?

Why does DC as well as other manufactures outline just about the same recommended breakin procedure for new vehicles?

Thanks,
John

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Break the car in by keeping it under 4,000 rpms for 500 miles - no full throttle starts, vary your speeds. No rapid braking manuevers either,though this is seldom mentioned. Good rule of thumb, change the oil around 500 miles. The new engines in almost every high performance are extremely tight, and a common sense break in should be adherred to.

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Here's a link regarding one persons thoughts on "Break In Secrets". Give it a read before calling BS.

Break In Secrets

I have always believed it was best to break in an engine like you plan to drive it. In my Jeep GC, I broke it in hard, and at 140,000 miles it still runs strong and doesn't use a drop of oil.

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Acceleration is the key. The very best breakin procecure will involve acceleration. You simply need to keep the engine working. This is what the owners manual is refering to when they say, vary your speed, and do not drive at a continous speed. By keeping the engine under somewhat of a load, you are keeping the rings pushed out in a perfect circle. No long cruising in the upper gears. This is so important on an engine. You don't have long to do this, so play around by driving the car in a somewhat wastefull manner. I really think the 4000 rpm is a bit conservative, but that may be done for the same reason the speed limits are set back a bit from what they expect you to run. Stay off the red line, for about 500 miles, but 4500 would really be fine, IMO

ViperRay

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rocket, good read. It makes sense to me.

I guess I've been unwittingly doing it correctly all along!

Gforce

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Actually, I kind of like Skips approach. Makes me feel a bit better.

If there is one thing thats fun to do in this car, its accelerate. Mine still only has 325 miles so its hard to keep it down (4500 sounds better than 4000). I just got an aluminum flywheel and 3.55 gears so that makes it even harder unless I overgear it (e.g. using 4th at 30mph).

After reading this thread, I think I'll go back to running through the gears - after all - it said accelerate :)

Jay
2005 SRT10

ptiemann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's a link regarding one persons thoughts on "Break In Secrets". Give it a read before calling BS.

Break In Secrets

I have always believed it was best to break in an engine like you plan to drive it. In my Jeep GC, I broke it in hard, and at 140,000 miles it still runs strong and doesn't use a drop of oil.

that web site even says:

'There's a very small window of opportunity to get the rings to seal really well ... the first 20 miles'

Is he referring to lawn mowers? I bought my Viper with 100 miles on it. And it has been sitting at the dealership for 2 years before I bought it. I don't know..