Broke my SRT-10 after two weeks!!! ***

VIPERMIKE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was merging onto the highway, shifted into 3rd gear and heard the worst sound ever come from the rear end. The diff exploded into pieces..I'm so pissed.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
'03 SRT-10s had a 'weak link' in the rear end. Is it an 03"

I see you have +50 HP, and a 3:55 rear. Did you buy "good" gears?
Not all 355s are created equal. Was the oil/additive correct and full?
Unusual, if we can take you literally.

REDSLED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh, Viper Mike, this is tooooo easy. It probably stems from putting that "Modded GTS" in its place a couple weeks ago. :) I guess that GTS isn't so slow anymor is it! :) Get your gears from UNITRAX. They are in Anaheim. Jon B can hook you up with the gears and will even set you up with the install appointment as well.

REDSLED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh, Viper Mike, this is tooooo easy. It probably stems from putting that "Modded GTS" in its place a couple weeks ago. :) I guess that GTS isn't so slow anymore is it! :) Get your gears from UNITRAX. They are in Anaheim. Jon B can hook you up with the gears and will even set you up with the install appointment as well.

REDSLED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If they are 3.55's then they aren't stock and probably won't cover it. Unitrax gears + installation should be less than $1K.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Contact Devin at Unitrax. gounitax.com or 800 622-4327. If the supplied the original gears and installation, they will treat you fairly. Unitrax is just down the street from you in Anaheim.
Dodge will not honor a warranty on those gears, as they are not theirs. Unitrax and Parts Rack can provide a beefed up parts. The steel pin can be upgraded. That seems to be the weak link.
Please watch your language. You are among friends.

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The pin is a problem, as we all know, and there is an issue with the spider gears, as well. Use the upgrade pin in the rear. only other solution, is the Quaffie setup. This will make the car superior in many ways, but it's a bit costly.

I really doubt the ring and pinion in the rear in the problem or cause of anything, unless installation was not done correct.

By the way, how in the world did you break it going into third? The torque output in that gear is really low, especially with a stock motor.

Skip White

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow. That *****, but I wouldn't be to ******* the guy who sold you the car. You may not know what gears are in there, but I can tell you that I recently bought a whole new rear set up from someone off the Viper Board and I've been hard as hell on it with NO problems. And I know what I bought was NOT Unitrax. I don't know what it was, I forget, but the rear is holding up great!

Fix it, put that rear behind you, (no pun intended) and enjoy the car from here on.

Andrew

Kelly06

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Don't be so sure that warranty will not cover this. Go back to the SELLING dealer. A lot of times they will cover this and not say a word. The only thing I don't know is whether or not to be up front with the dealer. Some times they don't care to look closely at what comes out. Of course, you will be getting a stock rear end. Doesn't hurt to try.

On another note, I received a call from unitrax and they now have a new supply of 3.55 for the srt 10. I asked if I kicked up the hp by 100 if their rear end could take and they said yes + much more.

JohnNad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
tell us the whole story, what you were doing, how fast, where, who got the view from behind....etc, btw that does ****

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Axial32