BTR 750 SS "PLUS" Dyno Results.......................

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BTR 750 SS \"PLUS\" Dyno Results.......................

Hello All,

To help keep everyone abreast of what we are doing for VOI and in keeping with our mission of providing all data possible to Viper enthusiasts, we are testing our VOI cars and posting results here for your review.

This dyno pull was from yesterday. The Viper that made this pull will be at the VOI drags and we will have handouts on the pricing of what options are on this exact car. This is our 750 SuperSnake "Plus" package. While the numbers are strong for this car, I'm quite sure that there will be more powerfull cars in the unlimited class with us. Horsepower for dollar comparision is our niche.

A couple items of interest about the dyno pull itself;

1. This tune up is very, very rich(which hurts horsepower)but will suffice for all of the different air/fuel readouts that we have seen from different customer cars over the years. All of our packages are based upon conservative horsepower numbers and the fact that many users are not mechanically inclined and do not want the hassles of increased maintenance or downtime from parts failures of products used on the edge of their design capabilities. Should a given customer want more power, a simple jet change should result in approx 50-70 RWHP gains above our numbers while maintaining air fuel ratios around 12.0 on most Vipers.

2. The Torque was above 800 Rear Wheel from 3100 rpm through the entire pull! and above 900 Rear Wheel for over 600 rpms.

3. The air fuel ratio peaked at only 10.5 which is very conservative.

4. We terminate all nitrous pulls at <5000 rpm, but it is clear to see that the engine was still making power.

5. The car made 518 RWHP @ 518 RWTQ naturally aspirated as a baseline.

This is corrected rwhp on a dynojet 248 with wideband O2. We use this same facility for all of our cars and customer cars.

We hope to have another session in a few weeks, at which time we will tune for 11.5 - 11.8 A/F by adding more nitrous.(this will not be the jetting combination of mainstream kits that we will offer, but we will on a case by case basis supply these jetting combinations to customers)

We also intend to drag test this vehicle as soon ase weather permits and will post results.

Tom
DynoRun750SSPLUS.jpg

P.S. To convert these numbers into Flywheel horsepower, the industry standard is 15% which results in;

904 BHP and 1089 B/Ft/lbs. of Torque with nitrous

609 BHP and 609 B/Ft/lbs. of Torque naturally aspirated

OP
OP
T

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: BTR 750 SS \"PLUS\" Dyno Results.......................

Ronnie,

Thanks for the math lesson...lol.

Peanuts,

Thanks for the comments. The N/A horsepower is where we want to be with this combination as drivablity seems to always be a major concern with customers. Another 40 or so N/A rwhp is easily attainable as this motor has stock intake and throttle bodies, along with stock compression.

My concern is that what constitutes a 250 shot on this combination quite possibly will not give 250 rwhp on a more efficeint baseline engine. It may take alot more nitrous to achieve the same total result. The car we ran yesterday(my own car)was running a very conservative jetting combination as is evident by the a/f numbers and our largest NOS jet was size 52(a soft plume fogger will flow up to size 63....which equates to about another 20 hp per nozzle x 4)

In my opinion and from years of experience with nitrous engines of all types, the closer the engine to stock compression, the more total power output available from nitrous oxide injection and other bolt on mods. And, typically as engine efficiency increases(with items such as raised compression, camshaft specs, etc) diminishing returns from bolt on mods like nitrous and forced air induction are evident.

As an example, I have a buddy who is currently the NHRA record holder in a new class of racing for sport compact cars. His Supra runs low 9's and he is considered the best at what he does and I agree. A stock Supra engine will last hundreds of thousands of miles, but my buddy is lucky to have an engine last through a single racing weekend. They exceeded the effiecency of the engine hundreds of horsepower ago. That same thought process can be used with the Viper engine and I know for a fact of several Viper engines that have spit parts on Texas Dragstrips recently. While racing on the edge is fun, its not for me and most of my customers don't seem to want that either.

So, in a nutshell(no pun intended) Im trading 50 N/A hp for 50 NOS hp for longevity and have the reserve power available in my current combination to safely spray more power if needed.

Tom

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tom Welch:
As an example, I have a buddy who is currently the NHRA record holder in a new class of racing for sport compact cars. His Supra runs low 9's and he is considered the best at what he does and I agree. A stock Supra engine will last hundreds of thousands of miles, but my buddy is lucky to have an engine last through a single racing weekend. They exceeded the effiecency of the engine hundreds of horsepower ago. That same thought process can be used with the Viper engine and I know for a fact of several Viper engines that have spit parts on Texas Dragstrips recently. While racing on the edge is fun, its not for me and most of my customers don't seem to want that either.

Tom

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tom,

Step up at the plate big boy
smile.gif
Your now nipping at the heels of the BIG DOGS
supergrin.gif
Surely you wouldn't mind backing up that statement and tell ALL of us who scattered their motors in Texas?
<EMBED SRC="http://www.tintagel.net/resources/Multimedia/Audio/Animals/dog_bark.wav" AUTOSTART=FALSE LOOP=FALSE WIDTH=300></EMBED>
Gerald

OP
OP
T

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Gerald,

If I found a $ 100 bill on the street does that mean I would have to give it to you? No further commenting on the broke cars, as it could be yours or mine next! You are a resouceful individual..check into it yourself.

How's about stepping up to the plate yourself at VOI. I'd love to have a little side by side race with you. You game or just Gamey?

Tom

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tom Welch:
Gerald,

If I found a $ 100 bill on the street does that mean I would have to give it to you? No further commenting on the broke cars, as it could be yours or mine next! You are a resouceful individual..check into it yourself.

How's about stepping up to the plate yourself at VOI. I'd love to have a little side by side race with you. You game or just Gamey?

Tom

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would ask you were you found it at
supergrin.gif
(The 100 dollar bill).. Lets not change the subject now..
supergrin.gif

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

OH, sounds like a call out to me. Your still welcome to the drag wheels Gerald.

Reaction score

Gerald, there have been 2 cars in Texas this year that have had some internal problems. One was mine, we spun a bearing in the burnout box. My car had over 27,000 miles on it @ a 1/4 mile at a time. the second was Geralds car, I dont know much of the details on that.

As for racing on the edge, I don't think thats what the Texas guys are doing. Like many others, I feel like we have the combination down, to make our cars more powerful than the rest of the country. If anyone thinks differently, Voi World Series of Drag Racing is Sept 25. I'm gonna say I think the Texas guys will win, but what do I know I'm just an electrician.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Tom,

What is the correction factor being used on those pulls?

Think about it, all you need is an automatic tranny and low 9's/high 8's are attainable. Are you the one to set the viper drag racing world on its head?

Think about it, imagine the magazine articles you would get with a daily driven viper going that fast.

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 1TONY1:
OH, sounds like a call out to me. Your still welcome to the drag wheels Gerald.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't even think I"m going to VOI.. If I do, I'd be flying there. I"m sure I"ll meet Tom on the road somewhere here since we live so far away from eachother.
Gerald

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hey Tom -- I'll be running my RT in "unlimited" for the VOI drags, so if you're in that class perhaps we'll have an opportunity for a waltz down the 1/4. You game?

As for cars breaking, that's just part of racing. NOS certainly adds stress to the engine just like any other power adder; it's unique in that it makes so much torque at low RPMs. Albert & co seem to have the NOS recipe down pretty well -- witness all the 9 sec TX Vipers -- and I look forward to possibly having the opportunity to run with the TX crowd at VOI.

As for why there's a limit to power on NOS, I believe the explanation is simple enough. When injected into the intake, NOS displaces air, which means that the maximum power increase you could theoretically achieve with NOS is N/A power * (oxy density of NOS) / (oxy density of atmosphere). NOS has about 50% more available oxygen than does atmosphere, and it's much colder (and thus denser) so I'd venture you can get at most perhaps 60% more power at peak if you literally replaced all the intake with NOS spray. Of course to do that you'd need a progressive system to meter in increasing amounts as the RPMs (and thus airflow) rise; otherwise you'd put in too much NOS at lower RPMs and blow it back out the intake...

OP
OP
T

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Looks like Albert and Treynor took what I said about breakage out of context, so let me specify again.

It is achievable to make more naturally aspirated horsepower than what we make with our head and cam combo, as evident in many of the HMS cars that have ran on dynos across the country. In my opinion though, a moderate amount of naturally aspirated power in conjunction with nitrous oxide injection will last longer and make as much power as a more heavily modified engine with (theoretically) less nitrous. We pride ourselves on not having the first customer engine failure with our mods but we know that one day it will happen, thats racing. We feel that the combinations that we offer will give the best performance and longevity for the dollar in our industry. Again, my opinion.

Albert, not to flame you but 27,000 miles at a 1/4 mile at a time equals 108,000 passes down the track(less depending on the length of the return road). Why only one 9.999 second run? LOL

Ben,

Bring on the secret weapon, we have one for you...you surely don't want to waste your time on a simple heads and cam car? I'm game and will race you with it also.

I disagree with your limit to horsepower on nitrous. 200-300 Hp on nitrous is a no brainer, the average pro-mod car sprays 500 hp. The limitation is on engine efficency and the bank account of the end user with regards to maintenance and repair expenses.
Nitrous tuning is like any other kind of tuning, and requires common sense. A 5 hp Briggs and Straton will not make 255 hp on a 250 shot of nitrous.

Something else to consider..the only 9 second viper passes that I have heard about have been at one track in the country(San Antonio, TX). No vipers ran anywhere near the 9's last VOI and all of the players where there. With all of the advances in Viper modifications I for one am sure that several of the Vipers at this VOI should make 9 second passes. I even look forward to besting my 10.20's there.

Tom

Reaction score

Tom, keep talking...... This VOI you are going to get punished by the Texas crew. You might be a player in you own mind, but you are going to get a reality check this Sept 25th. Since my 9.99 pass we have been working hard to make the car even faster, always several steps ahead of you. So keep running your mouth with your semi mid 10 sec. passes.

PS: Roy from TNT asks that you don't let you wife dress you this VOI. The Ronald McDonald outfits made us want to puke.

Also hows that 20,000 twin turbo package coming along. LOL

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Tom, I look forward to our encounter. I expect nothing less than that you will bring your best shot -- that's what the "unlimited" class is for, after all
smile.gif
I'm not claiming my car will win (though I so!), I just enjoy a good race.

Also, I wasn't responding specifically to any one poster on the topic of breaking cars. It's my observation that in any racing you tend to break parts, and the more power you make and the faster you go, the more stuff falls apart. It's easy to break a car on any type of power adder; improper use of NOS is typically the cheapest way to blow up an engine but it's by no means the only means to that end
supergrin.gif

As for limits on NOS, I'm eager to hear an explanation for, or counterexample of, how an engine can make more that the theoretical max I articulated. I posit that, if a normally-aspirated car makes X horsepower off of spray, it will not make more than approximately 1.6X on spray. Tom's car is an example of this: 518 RWHP on motor translates to 829 RWHP theoretical max on spray, and Tom himself estimates that the max he'd be able to get out of the car on spray is (768 + ~60 = ) 828
smile.gif
. I'll admit my coefficient of 1.6 may be slightly off, since it's simple guesswork/math and isn't based on analysis of the actual oxygen density of pure N2O vs that of ambient-temp air, but the basic theory should hold.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by treynor:
As for why there's a limit to power on NOS, I believe the explanation is simple enough. When injected into the intake, NOS displaces air, which means that the maximum power increase you could theoretically achieve with NOS is N/A power * (oxy density of NOS) / (oxy density of atmosphere). NOS has about 50% more available oxygen than does atmosphere, and it's much colder (and thus denser) so I'd venture you can get at most perhaps 60% more power at peak if you literally replaced all the intake with NOS spray. Of course to do that you'd need a progressive system to meter in increasing amounts as the RPMs (and thus airflow) rise; otherwise you'd put in too much NOS at lower RPMs and blow it back out the intake...

[/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Treynor, What are you talking about? I got dizzy just reading that. Forgive me in advance here, I can't help it and have been biting my tongue.......Is your car done or still in the shop? I have never heard so much smack talk about a car as you have been doing and from what I can figure out its "under constuction"
Give it a rest.....please....I hope its fast because you are writing a lot of checks that will be needing to be cashed. ta

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Tony -- with my car in the shop, all I've got -left- is smack talking!
laugh.gif
If I actually -had- the car, I'd be posting dyno sheets and timeslips like all the rest of these guys. Since I don't... you want to take away a guy's last lifeline?

RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Great numbers Tom! Good math too.
smile.gif

Ronnie

OP
OP
T

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Ben,

As for the heckling, you know it doesn't bother me a bit. I know that you will be a formitable opponent and you have been a great customer.

As for the nitrous/total power equation, without getting too technical....

Engines that are specifically built for nitrous typically are poor performers N/A. Same goes for supercharged and turbocharged engines. I know of a certain S/C Viper that without the S/C made only 288 RWHP(the motor was built correctly and made very strong power with the supercharger). Take the turbo off of a powerstroke diesel, or off of the 3.8L V-6 Buick GN as examples.

We build our engines with a compromize. They make more power than stock and certainly more power than a stock engine on nitrous. They do not make as much power as an engine that is specifically built to make maximum power N/A. The design criteria is a fast accelerating engine with a quick ramp rate on the cam, long duration and plenty of overlap and the total horsepower from the package is very competitive for far less dollars than most other tuner packages.

With the above in mind, the 1.6 equation is thrown out the window as a true nitrous engine is not going to make as much power as a modified N/A engine. And a true nitrous engine is going to benefit substantially more than a modified N/A engine once nitrous is injected.

The same principal applies to the engine that you are having built(assuming its turbo or supercharged). Low compression, bastardized cam specs(in comparison to the cam specs for a N/A powerplant)and other construction factors will make it a poor performer if you stripped off the forced air. You wouldn't build an engine like that if it was going to be run without power adders, and if you disconnected your power adder and mounted the car on the dyno, the horsepower(or lack of it) might surprize you.

Tom

9secRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Well, I think we all knew I would jump in sooner or later on this topic. I would like to address the issue of only 9's being run on the track in San Antonio. Tom you know who I am and know my track record so what are you talking about. I have 9 sec. time slips from tracks in Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, and Ohio that prove your theory of only 9 sec passes at one track. If the weather would have cooperated at the last VOI I would have had one there as well but due to the down poor of rain it sort of made things a little difficult. IF you would like I could send you a couple so you could put them on your wall as a goal to work towards. I understand your frustration Tom but dont take this out on us due to the lack of power your car seems to have. All of us in Texas have paid the price and put in our track time and stayed off the computer until we have the proof to back it up. Like Albert said, VOI is comming near and if you dont get that 9 this year remember there is always next year!!!!!!!!!!!

Let me know if you may want me to put together an instructional video on "How to Drag Race Your Viper in the 9's" it could be the sequal to your beginner video!!!!

Thanks,
Mark H.

OP
OP
T

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hey Mark,

Send me one of those framed time tickets from your car that SOMEONE ELSE DROVE!!..let him make the video!

I have NEVER seen your car run a 9 although I do trust in the word of others who have seen it run at the San Antonio track. I myself have never seen your car run faster than 10.30's. Where is that car by the way? Whats amazing is that one of the best tracks in the country is right in Houston, but you guys all drive 6 hours round trip to run in San Antonio. Why?

Hint: NHRA required safety features like Roll Bars, harnesses, driveshaft loops and the such all add weight to a vehicle. Add 100 pounds to that 9.999 car and it won't run 9's anymore without adding more power.(rule of thumb; 100 lbs of weight = 0.10 of a second gain or loss in the quarter mile)

Albert,

Are you the spokesperson for TNT? I've never had any comments towards Roy and his family, I can only hope that those comments came directly from your zero personality.

Next hijacker please!

Tom

9secRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have been through this before with you but since I have a little time on my hands I will refresh your memory. Several years ago I was involved in a majoy accident that after 26 operations I was able to be put back together. Due to the massive head trauma I received I was unable to drive down the drag strip due to the dizzy spells I was experiencing. So please keep slamming me for not being the driver if thats what makes you so big and tough to run those massive mid 10's in your car. Dont get me wrong, if my health would have allowed me to I would give nothing more than to be in that car racing you heads up. So for me to still do the things I enjoy and be involved in the viper racing a real good friend of mine "Scott Wieck" decided to start driving the car for me and we learned together. Scott was not a professional driver just an old college friend I met at Texas A&M and we started learning the car as we went along. Scott had never been down a drag strip before we started racing my viper and had a great feel for the car and I owe alot to him for the accomplishments we were able to make.
Now for your statement of my car not having a 100 extra pounds of weight with a bar is a bunch of BS and you know that. I was the first person with an RT/10 to have a 4 point roll bar and then to be legal to run at the NHRA Houston Raceway I had installed a door bar to be even more legal. As a matter of fact my first 9 sec pass in the viper was made at Houton Raceway Park and not at San Antonio like you claim. I have many more passes at HRP than any where else so next time get your facts straight before posting incorrect information.
I hope this about sums it up for all your incorrect information you posted but if not please feel free to post again and yes your are right.... I have never made a 9 sec pass but I was involved in my car running those 9's as much as one could be without actually being in the vehicle.

Thanks,
Mark H.

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I've gotta see this! Someones gonna get their feelings hurt come Sept. & I don't think it's gonna be Albert or Mark. Gonna be fun to watch though!
BURNOUT.gif
BURNOUT.gif

Who in the world wore a Ronald McDonald's outfit? That's some serious SMACK right there!
laughing2[1].gif
laughing2[1].gif

TX WHOS YOUR DADDY

Enthusiast
Reaction score

TOM,TOM,TOM..... WHEN ARE U GONNA LEARN!"DONT MESS WITH TEXAS"LOL

Reaction score

Hey Tom, I thought your daddy told you that the only way you would ever run a 9 was if a train hit you in the back of a car at the tree. LOL

PS: Bring on that Canadian motor.

PPS: I'm not the one who has the zero personality,I can dress myself. If you have a problem with that statement call Roy yourself.

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SNAKE EYES YOU LOSE!:
TOM,TOM,TOM..... WHEN ARE U GONNA LEARN!"DONT MESS WITH TEXAS"LOL

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Norm, you have a very impressive list of cars.. Incredible! Which one is your favorite and why??

Gerald

TX WHOS YOUR DADDY

Enthusiast
Reaction score

GERALD,THANX FOR THE LOVE!IT JUST DEPENDS ON THE DAY AND TIME..THE ONE I LIKE TO DRIVE BEST AROUND TOWN IS NOT LISTED.ITS A 97 MB S 600 4DR V-12 7.4 RENNTECH 450 SAE CORRECTED R.W.H.P.I LIKE TO SNEAK UP ON MUSTANGS WITH IT.WHEN I BLOW BY THEM THE LOOK ON THE DRIVERS FACE IS PRICELESS.OH WELL EACH TO THIER OWN.LOL

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have learned that alot of the "big talker" drag racers don't drive their own cars.

I know Tom does. I know Albert does. Mark has a good reason not to.

Norm, do YOU drive your own car down the 1/4??? I don't know if you do or if you don't, I'm just curious.

TX WHOS YOUR DADDY

Enthusiast
Reaction score

YO MIKE B,I SEE U ARE STILL BREATHING,THATS GOOD.ARE U COMING TO VOI DRAGS AND IF SO WHAT WILL U BE RUNNING?I NOTICED U SEEM TO EXPOUND UPON VARIOUS SUBJECT MATTER FROM TIME TO TIME.SO ILL LEAVE THE BIG TALKING TO YOU.SOMETIMES I DRIVE MY CAR. SOMETIMES I DONT.DO U HAVE A CAR AND IF SO DO U DRIVE YOUR CAR.CAN U SHARE WITH US SOME OF YOUR QTR.MILE ET RUNS.THANKING U IN ADVANCE!NORM KOERNER

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hey Norm...

Yeah I am still here
supergrin.gif

I always drive my own cars... except if a close friend wants to try one of them out, but I don't let other people drive in place of me.

I've posted on here before that my best run in the Viper was 11.68. What's your best run in a stocker Norm? Oh, wait.. I forgot... 1 Bad may be reading, so I should clarify. I ran 11.68 in my HIGHLY MODIFIED car which included removing the rear muffler and replacing with a pair of dented 1.25" tubes, and switching the tubes out for smoothies. We all know that adds like 150hp so I guess i should start looking for bigger fish to fry!

Hey, it's all in good fun right? For me, it's about doing the best *I* can do. It's easy to pay for a car and then brag about someone ELSE'S accomplishments behind the wheel "my car run's 9's!" - yeah but do YOU run 9's??? I don't mean this towards you Norm, just to some of the bench racers who love to blab about the times someone else ran in their car.

I think it's only fair to disclose who was driving when we brag about our times. I give Tom and Albert all the credit in the world (even if they are totally different personalities who don't always get along) because they drive the times - not live vicariously through other people who CAN drive because they can't.

TX WHOS YOUR DADDY

Enthusiast
Reaction score

MIKE,YOU GO BIG GUY!YOU STILL HAVENT ANSWERED A COUPLE OF QUESTIONS THAT I ASKED YOU BUT IT DOESNT REALLY MATTER ONE WAY OR ANOTHER.OKAY MIKE IVE RAN 8.5 @160 PLUS IN A PRO MOD BAYTOWN TEXAS NUMEROUS TIMES.IVE MADE 11 SECS AND 10 SECS RUNS IN VIPERS AND CORVETTES.IM ONE OF THE FIRST TO KNOW AND ADMITT MY LIMITATIONS.DO U KNOW YOURS?WHEN I DECIDE TO COMPETE IN COMPETITION IM THE FIRST TO ADMITT THERE ARE A LOT BETTER DRIVERS THEN MYSELF.SO I ASK A FRIEND TO DRIVE MY CAR THAT CAN LAY DOWN A BETTER NUMBER THEN I COULD.WHATS YOUR BACK GROUND IN DRAG RACING?DO U PLAN TO RUN YOUR VIPER IF U STILL HAVE ONE AT VOI DRAG RACES.IF SO CAN U TELL US ABOUT HOW YOUR CAR RUNS AND LASTLY BUT NOT LEAST ILL BE MORE THEN HAPPY TO LINE UP AND DRIVE MY OWN CAR AGAINST YOU AND YOUR CAR.MIKE BUDDY IM CALLING U OUT. BRING IT ON !ILL BE IN BEECH BEND ON SEPT. 25TH WILL U?OH YA MY NHRA LICENSE IS CLASS 4B AND YOURS IS?LOL REGARDS!NORM KOERNER

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You got to stand at attention and salute when the TEXAS crew comes to town!! I'll be handing out "Dont Mess With Texas" t-shirts to all those foreigners who wanna be a part of somethin big come September!
yesnod.gif

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960