BUSTED

alwayscode390

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My '08 cost me $2270 in property tax this year. KBB of $58k.

My other 4 vehicles all combined didn't cost that.

I made the mistake of asking the wife to pay the bill. :smirk:

What value do they use, the HIGH blue book value?

Then its what ... 3.5%? ---

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, is the attorney suggesting that, getting a receipt or some other documentation, that "proves" the speedometer is off-calibration thus the OP didn't know how fast they were really going in order to get out of the ticket? Is this correct?
ya im guessing thats what he is saying, its just a silly patticake game they play to make it seem they are being lawful while they take your fine and move to the next poor sucker/speeder. its all bs

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ya im guessing thats what he is saying, its just a silly patticake game they play to make it seem they are being lawful while they take your fine and move to the next poor sucker/speeder. its all bs

I ask because I tried this in 1998 and the judge laughed me out of the court room here in CT. Ended up paying a bigger fine which, had I just pled to a lower fine, would've cost much less than standing in front of the judge with a speedomoter calibration analysis report. Oddly enough, in 2008, several of us in a Viper caravan got pulled over in NY on our way to Saratoga. The trooper clocked us speeding over 100mph, allegedly. But he ended up giving us tickets for broken speedometers instead.

I hope the speedometer calibration defense works out. I imagine a state like VA that is tough on speeders would eventually catch on to the speedometer calibration trick if it's used regularly. I hope not in this case.

Some states are over the top on speeding. Take for example, NY. In NY, in addtion to the speeding ticket the driver is assessed an yearly driver's assessment fine for 3 years. So on top of paying the ticket, you're paying another fine on top of the original ticket for three years. LOL.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some states are over the top on speeding. Take for example, NY. In NY, in addtion to the speeding ticket the driver is assessed an yearly driver's assessment fine for 3 years. So on top of paying the ticket, you're paying another fine on top of the original ticket for three years. LOL.

It's even worse than that Tony.
The judge can arbitrarily decide that he doesn't like you and suspend your license for a few months.
Even for a first time offense.
Or if he feels your speding ticket was an egregious offense to his sensibilities. Or if he had a fight with his wife.
My ticket (90/55) is going to be most likely decided this January finally after my lawyer has delayed it to the maximum extent and I'm fearing the worst.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's even worse than that Tony.
The judge can arbitrarily decide that he doesn't like you and suspend your license for a few months.
Even for a first time offense.
Or if he feels your speding ticket was an egregious offense to his sensibilities. Or if he had a fight with his wife.
My ticket (90/55) is going to be most likely decided this January finally after my lawyer has delayed it to the maximum extent and I'm fearing the worst.

Fortunately Jon, when I got caught speeding in NY, like you, I hired an attorney to deal with it. And I never had to get in front of a judge or pay the assessment. I heard horror stories like you describe with the judge basically doing what they feel is the better penalty. My ticket was a 98/55 on 684. Not in the Viper. I ended up paying a very big fine but fortunately nothing else. I think I was fortunate because my case ended up in one of the NY boroughs that allowed some kind of plea knockdown. I know most don't anymore. Crazy.

I hope your situation works out for you.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In VA is the tax on the vehicle to get plates or are plates a cost above and beyond? Emission or safety check too?
All of that is separate.

Also do you have to pay a tax when you originally purchased the vehicle in VA?

That is where it gets really good.

Say you buy a new 2013 Viper in April. You pay $3500 in tax when you buy it.

October rolls around, they prorate from April - Oct and you pay roughly another $1750

So, they are double tipping in the same year!

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All of that is separate.

That is where it gets really good.

Say you buy a new 2013 Viper in April. You pay $3500 in tax when you buy it.

October rolls around, they prorate from April - Oct and you pay roughly another $1750

So, they are double tipping in the same year!

CT does the same. Pay 6.35% sales tax on purchase. Then the local town/city assesses a property tax on the Viper at 70% value which is usually determined by the local tax authority based on their mill rate.

Slithr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My gripe with VA is the property tax you pay on your vehicle every year. It is criminal.

You pay 3% on your vehicles KBB value, every.single.year.

God Bless :tx: We don't pay property tax on a car ... and have good gun laws :2tu: What's next property tax on your sofa :dunno:

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We pay a property tax in VA because we don't pay a county income tax....just fed and state. Yes, it's a hated tax but the idiots in Richmond couldn't figure a way around it last time they tried.

Back to topic

- Cheers

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only property tax I pay is on the house. County income tax, really? Wow!

alwayscode390

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just looked it up for Missouri.

Its 1/3 of "fair market value" ... then 7% tax on that every year.

Whats "fair market value" ... the MIDDLE rate on KBB ? ---

scottmarston

Viper Owner
Reaction score
God Bless :tx: We don't pay property tax on a car ... and have good gun laws :2tu: What's next property tax on your sofa :dunno:

Same here in Idaho. Good stuff. :2tu: I hear in DC they are trying to ban Big Gulps inside the District's border. :dunno: Also, the city officials drive around town in M5 BMWs. :nono: Probably why you have to pay property tax on your cars. No offense to anybody, but I dislike the East coast area. :crazy2:

Jeebs

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Am i reading some of these last posts right??? There are some States in the U.S that pay property tax on their cars, ***. Now this might be because i am Canadian but i have NEVER heard of such a rip off in my entire life. So lit me get this straight, you pay tax on the car when you buy it and then tax on it again every year you own it?? Do i have that right?
:dunno:

Slithr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Am i reading some of these last posts right??? There are some States in the U.S that pay property tax on their cars, ***. Now this might be because i am Canadian but i have NEVER heard of such a rip off in my entire life. So lit me get this straight, you pay tax on the car when you buy it and then tax on it again every year you own it?? Do i have that right?

That's my understanding .... *** :mad: They also tax you when you make money, when you spend money, when you gain on investments, and again if you die with any :mad: :mad: I also saw a post for a County Income Tax :omg:

Smokin' 2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's my understanding .... *** :mad: They also tax you when you make money, when you spend money, when you gain on investments, and again if you die with any :mad: :mad: I also saw a post for a County Income Tax :omg:

And get this, as an out of state resident being charged out of state tuition at a Virginia public uni, I was given a ticket for not registering my car in Fairfax County' and thus paying an annual property tax on the vehicle at my off campus apartment. I didn't know out of state residents had representation in the Virginia state assembly (sarcasm).

I couldn't get back to the southwest fast enough.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yep, such is the case in CT. Property taxes on vehicles, boats, personal-recreation vehicles, etc. Heck....I even pay tax on kitchen equipment due to my business.

Jeebs

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I can't believe that. That would almost make me not want to better myself and by nice things. I know the State and or our countries have to make money but come on. Taxing something multiple times is just soaking people. But everyone already know this. I just can't believe it.

OP
OP
R

RoyV101621

Enthusiast
Reaction score
closing thread

Court case was today. The Judge decided that the speedo tune up was too narrow to account for my clocked speed. The judge did reduce the charge to 'Improper Operation of a Vehicle.' Cost was not reduced but licence remains tidy. I want to thank my old and new friends for they help and advice. It was a heroic effort.

Sybil TF

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yep. Right across the border in St. Louis Mo. you pay on cars, boats ,motorcycles etc. I don't know about the whole state. Someone on here knows I am sure.

John N

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting thread, can now add VA to the list of states I will never live in and seek to minimize spending in. You have to admit though that CA and NY are tough to beat as states to avoid at all costs if you care about keeping your money and freedoms.

As the saying goes, "God bless Texas". :tx::tx::tx::tx:

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: closing thread

Court case was today. The Judge decided that the speedo tune up was too narrow to account for my clocked speed. The judge did reduce the charge to 'Improper Operation of a Vehicle.' Cost was not reduced but licence remains tidy. I want to thank my old and new friends for they help and advice. It was a heroic effort.

congrats on the outcome, money well spent and sometimes the cost of doing business

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting thread, can now add VA to the list of states I will never live in and seek to minimize spending in. You have to admit though that CA and NY are tough to beat as states to avoid at all costs if you care about keeping your money and freedoms.

true dat :headbang:

BlackSnake99

Enthusiast
Reaction score

According to CNN, Virginia ranks 43rd in the US in overall tax burden. Texas is 42nd.

http://money.cnn.com/pf/features/lists/total_taxes/

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang