Buying a salvaged Viper

Epro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm just curious, but let's say 10 years from now, will getting parts for something like a GTS be hard or expensive, or will it be the other way around? I'm still young, and I want the opportunity to own a Viper someday.

And just an off subject question... Do you think the price of gas is only going to increase? I have a hard time filling a V6 sedan :rolleyes:

A couple of examples of something I would want to look for

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4553610195&category=6209

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4553587474&category=6209

zen garage

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rebuilding a viper is not cheap.. Those two examples are priced pretty high for cars that need work. It doesnt take much to total a viper. Look for a car that has already been repaired but has a salvage title. You can pick up a rebuilt car from 30-38. If the car has been repaired properly and it doesnt bother you that there is an accident in its past, buy it. Not enough of our cars were produced for the parts companies to rationalize tooling up for new parts. Therefore rebuilding one in ten years is going to be cost prohibitive.

hemibeep

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Having experienced first hand rebuilding a GTS.

The prices are already high.
The parts are not now hard to find(Paul Scharf), but in 10 years....may be ugly.

For the slight difference in savings, I COULD have just bought a clean title and probably broke even.
For me, I love the challenge of building a car. I can now pretty much look at a bolt and tell you where it came from. Of course, recognizing bolts may imply that I have had to redo things more than once (I did).

It's your choice, but there are a lot of hidden expenses in a rebuilding that show up after the fact.

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First let me say, NEVER give up on your dreams, dont let anyone steal your dreams, and I applaude you for even having a dream. (Alot of people dont have one). I have never given up on my dreams, have ignored all those who tried to steal mine, and here I am now with one of mine - a 97 GTS.

<< I have a hard time filling a V6 sedan >>

I am unable to tell if this comment is serious or not.

So let me assume for a moment that you are serious, and let me say KINDLY, that if you are having "a hard time filling a V6 sedan", then you have a LONG WAY to go.

Keep in mind, that you are not just buying a Viper. You are also buying into a vehicle that is quite costly in maintenance, repairs, insurance, etc. And personally, I think these costs will only get worse over time.

Personally, I see these cars as quite possibly being the next 60's AC Cobra. If that happens, or even if that happens fractionally, (ie - 25%, 50% 75%, etc.), then you will need even bigger money than you need today to own and operate one of these.

my 0.02.

OP
OP
E

Epro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First let me say, NEVER give up on your dreams, dont let anyone steal your dreams, and I applaude you for even having a dream. (Alot of people dont have one). I have never given up on my dreams, have ignored all those who tried to steal mine, and here I am now with one of mine - a 97 GTS.

<< I have a hard time filling a V6 sedan >>

I am unable to tell if this comment is serious or not.

So let me assume for a moment that you are serious, and let me say KINDLY, that if you are having "a hard time filling a V6 sedan", then you have a LONG WAY to go.

Keep in mind, that you are not just buying a Viper. You are also buying into a vehicle that is quite costly in maintenance, repairs, insurance, etc. And personally, I think these costs will only get worse over time.

Personally, I see these cars as quite possibly being the next 60's AC Cobra. If that happens, or even if that happens fractionally, (ie - 25%, 50% 75%, etc.), then you will need even bigger money than you need today to own and operate one of these.

my 0.02.

Gas isn't an issue as far as I'm concerned. Just drive it less, and drive something good on gas more. Insurance is a pig. The prices of just living and getting by have increased so much since the 70's...

As for the V6 Sedan thing, I'm young, like I said, and I don't have a very reliable job. So I have to work with what I got.

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<< Insurance is a pig. >>

????

<< I don't have a very reliable job. So I have to work with what I got. >>

This is part of my point - a viper is a toy. I see a viper as something that is normally bought after life's necessities are comfortably taken care of, and there is extra money available for a "toy" like a viper.

Not having a reliable job is going to make buying (saving for, or getting a loan), and operating a viper (gas, insurance, repairs, upkeep), very difficult.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Big-n-Italian is sooooo right. Buying a used Viper is a crapshoot and can be very costly. I bought a very low mileage '98 GTS and have sunk thousands into it getting it right. Some were my choice (cats, exhaust, tubes, filters and bling stuff) and some were NOT (power steering pulley went third day of ownership, oil leak finally fixed (thanks to Chuck T) after misdiagnosis that COULD have been thousands more, now I have a tranny problem going to be fixed in two weeks and that won't be cheap. Had to change all four tires due to age and many other smaller things. Point is you can constantly dump money into it for upgrades, and then you have to dump money into it for upkeep. Of course you don't have to do the upgrades but you will. It takes some bucks to have Vipers for weekend toys.

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<< now I have a tranny problem going to be fixed in two weeks and that won't be cheap. Had to change all four tires due to age and many other smaller things. >>

Thanks Jon - these ARE some of the things i am talking about. Before i bought mine, I thought buying the car was all there was to it - you know, like my wifes minivan, right? I was warned from a VERY EXPERIENCED viper owner, about the high cost of owning one of these cars, but I ignored it. After I bought the car, I found out how dead-on he really was.

For example Epro, I just had my clutch replaced - went completely out, along with the slave cylinder - a $2,000 repair. My tires were worn, so last month I bought (4) new tires - $1,200, PLUS had to pay for mounting and balancing - which was also costly due to the size of tire and the viper tax I am sure. If a headlight goes out - expect to pay around $450, used on ebay.

You can either pay the cost, or the car sits, and that isnt fun. But you will need to be financially capable and ready for these things, and more, AND, AFTER, you have somehow managed to BUY the car. We arent trying to be mean, just realistic.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
But I should also add I love the car or would never have bothered to put up with it. I would have dumped it on a dealer for something else. These cars are like an addiction. I can't ever imagine me NOT owning one. There are only a handful of cars in all the world that get the shock and awe looks like a Viper does. I really enjoy watching a kid's face light up as he tugs at his mom or dads arm and points at the car. Those are daily occurences. Combined the looks with the power...well once you own one you will know. I feel lucky to be able to drive a living legend (and afford to keep it running).
Work hard, you'll get there too..... :cool:

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would get car with warrenty! WIth only 1000 miles on my car I had to get both headlamps replaced total cost = 3200 canadian which is $2560 US dollars!

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<< there are a lot of hidden expenses in a rebuilding that show up after the fact. >>

Dave, maye you or someone else can answer this question that crossed my mind late last night.

If someone (Epro for instance), was wanting to buy a rebuildable viper such as the ones in the links above, I am assuming that getting a loan for one of these "wrecked" cars, with a salvage title or not, is impossile...?? My guess is that these are strictly a cash deal, and you would have to have the $20 - 30,0000 in cash to buy one of these cars. I cant imagine any bank financing a "wreck" on any level. The banks' financial risk would make it impossile.

Am i correct? Anyone?

hemibeep

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Big,
you are correct. cash only

No financing on a "rebuilt" or "salvage" available.
Just charge it on the credit card!

If you are thinking of buying a wreck. Do yourself a favor a really check out the motor the best you can.
This was my "surprise" and I am now in the process of resleeving a cracked cyl. wall. On Gen II the sleeves are interference fit and require machine shop.

So,,,now I am in for a complete rebuild of the shortblock.

I would still do it all over again!

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<< I would still do it all over again! >>

Beep, I am sure you have been told this many times, however, I have not had the chance - what an UNBELIEVEABLE job you did on that car. MAJOR LEAGUE congrats on the successful completion of your car. I bet it was fun though, eh? :D :2tu:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpcc