Buying a SRT-10 Tomorrow (7/10/04) Need Advice

Kelly06

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am set to buy a new 04 SRT-10 tomorrow. I have read the posts about recalls, bulletins, etc. In view of the problems that some people have had--would you say go for it or stay away another year? I had the first year of the vette Z06 and got into the oil burning issue, so I am a little gun shy.
Thanks

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Every year Viper has it's own personality, and issues. No reason that an 05 will be any more trouble free than a 04, just may have different issues.
I would go ahead with your 04. This is the 2nd year production of this model, and most teething issues have been worked out.
Dodge has been very good about addressing build issues with their cars. (Yes I know, not perfect.)
A bigger issue seems to be locating an excellent ViperTech, backed up by a Viper friendly dealership.
Best of success with your new Viper...Make sure to join your local ViperClub as soon as you receive a VIN.
Vipers are a much more exciting driving experience than Vettes.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Hi Kelly,

What Paul said, ditto. I've had my 04 since May and put about 4400 miles on it. No issues. Doesn't burn oil. Starts and runs every time and everything works as it should, and wicked fast.

Funny story, related to the above, I had one guy in an older, modded El Camino try to race me one night, and he blew his radiator, wouldn't even look over at the next signal when I was trying to let him know he had a problem. I easily ran away from him, perhaps he was embarrassed. Very fun car to drive. You won't believe the difference between the Viper and the Vette in total ownership experience. (I was a former Vette owner).

Enjoy the Viper and get into VCA.

Dan