Cali To Texas Tomorrow.

benson8708

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am driving my gen 1 from Visalia, CA to Austin, Tx I am flying there tonight leaving cali by 8pm have to be back by saturday night. Any sugestions of what I should do to the car and best speeds for the engine. Any bolts I should check or touque?

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

benson8708

Viper Owner
Reaction score
really I am I have to go get my car before I start my new job I just got out of the military and I cant afford to ship it.

2snakes4us

Enthusiast
Reaction score
make sure you check out your trunk each way for freeloaders :rolaugh: those suckers can fit into anything. :D

change all Fluids and check belts. and carry a can of fix a flat, a small Mag lite, a roll of duck tape. assorted fuses.
check tire pressures and torqe lugs.

Chap stick if you going with the top off.
good luck

hou99gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You will need a 2nd driver and a lot of luck to do 3160 miles in 48 hours (you will have to AVERAGE 66 mph the whole way).

When I bought my 06 vert, I did San Diego to Houston in 2 full days going one way (1500 miles) by myself (750 miles, 12 hours of actual driving per day not counting stops and sightseeing).

OP
OP
B

benson8708

Viper Owner
Reaction score
make sure you check out your trunk each way for freeloaders :rolaugh: those suckers can fit into anything. :D

change all Fluids and check belts. and carry a can of fix a flat, a small Mag lite, a roll of duck tape. assorted fuses.
check tire pressures and torqe lugs.

Chap stick if you going with the top off.
good luck

I am going with the top on. Just to let you guys know this is not some pristine viper. It is nice and I love it but I do drive it. So I am not ruining a cherry! Thanks for the advice. I suppose the duct tape is to keep water out if it rains. lol I have been looking at the weather and this is my best window to leave.

OP
OP
B

benson8708

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You will need a 2nd driver and a lot of luck to do 3160 miles in 48 hours (you will have to AVERAGE 66 mph the whole way).

When I bought my 06 vert, I did San Diego to Houston in 2 full days going one way (1500 miles) by myself (750 miles, 12 hours of actual driving per day not counting stops and sightseeing).

I am only going from cali to texas one way. I understand how my post seemed confusing and I fixed it thanks.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
SERIOUSLY...I would respectfully suggest that you consider re-planning trip...aiming for more stable weather pattern, better car prep, and build in more time for mission.

That said, best of luck...hit this board if we can help in any way.

hou99gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you for editing your first post! :)

Bring a radar detector if you have one, that saved me a few times on my trip, especially out in the desert. Cel phone is mandatory. Camera is good also (I took many pics on the way back).

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
.... a 2nd driver....

very helpful to have a bud or family, could be the ride of his/her life

+ some good tunes or audio book, radar detector

+ one of these:

You must be registered for see images

and some of this:

You must be registered for see images attach

also keep the car in as high a gear as possible while cruising (6th most of the time) and drop down to play of course.

i got 22 mpg in mine from fl to tx. and remember the fuel gauge is not the most accurate, fill up often (keeps fuel pump cool too)

:drive:

Godspeed

Last edited:

ACELLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Funny, don't here or see much about Visalia. When I was in the Marines and stationed in San Diego, I used to go to Farmersville every weekend to see a girl I dated.

Definitely in the middle of know where.

Won't be a problem in the Gen I at all. I drove my from Denver to PA with no issues and it was a fun drive.

Have fun!
Ed

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check the air in the tires,and bring lots of music, or books on tape.

Most of your drive will be long and flat. Click er' in 6th, and cruise at 80+ in Texas, but slow down in California. Radar detector is a good idea.

Gen I's get pretty good mileage on the HWY.

Have some fun on the trip. Nothing like a road trip in a VIPER!

Yellow32

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You better check the build date on the tires, if they are over 6 years old I would have new ones put on first. Hate to think what would happen if they are the "original" tires, ka-boom!

-J

FastZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
5 hour Energy - Decaf (blue bottle)

Drink at least 1qt of water with every bottle of the above.

Hydration is going to be your key. Stay away from the caffeine and sugar drinks. Stay away from the carbs and rare meat.

Take the 5hrs every 5 hrs as directed. Drink plenty of water - you will have to *** every 120 miles or so, this is good.

You will have to switch to the red, caffeinated, 5hr energy once you can't fight it any longer. The longer you can do w/o caffeine the longer you will last. This method is good for 24-30 hours. Then you'll have to switch to coffee, Red Bull, crank, etc. Be prepared to sleep for 12+ hours when you reach TX.

If you can stop and get at least 5-6 hrs of sleep on a good bed (like a Hampton Inn) you will feel like you've had a full nights sleep and be ready for another 24+ hrs of driving. If you hit the Hampton after 1-2am and tell them you'll be out by 8am they will give you a 1/2 day rate.

I average over 60k miles per year and pull all-nighters regularly. This is my method and it works. Eat light - wraps, sandwiches.

Get a Radar detector - it will pay for itself before you leave CA. Get a good one like a Passport 9500 - they are $500 and worth every penny!

Speed!!!
Know your exposure:

Less than 10 over - no ticket 99% of the time.
Less than 15 over - Lowest class of speeding, less fine
Less than 25 over - Higher class of speeding, more fine, same impact on driving record as less than 15 ticket.
25mph or more - DANGEROUS, considered reckless driving in many states - most states will NOT allow deferred or probation for anything 25 or over, you eat the fine and the mark on your record -

Also remember it's very hard to scrub sufficient speed in time when the radar detector goes off - even in a Viper!!! (I keep it at 20 over) I presently am fighting a ticket for 35 over because I was traveling 125/130 in a 65 - got popped for 100. Head my advise on the above.

When the radar detector goes off nail the brakes and stay on them until under the limit. Like a panic stop w/o the drama. If you look for him, he'll have you.

Good luck - have fun!

Last edited:

FastZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm deploying several crews to the DFW area to help recover from the snow.

Might want to detour thru El Paso and take I-10 in....

Hope you're doing ok out there!

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good times... Never went more that about 2k mi. on a Viper roadtrip. Sounds like a fun ride. I must be getting a bit of cabin fever...

BTW, I once measured 27 mpg. - Wash. DC. to Pittsburg... Just put her in 6 and save a few bux.

OP
OP
B

benson8708

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am only six hours away I did not get a radar detector and got a ticket in the mojave. *******. 82 in a 65. He did let me burn out when I left. He said he didn't care. Lol

RapidTransit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am driving my gen 1 from Visalia, CA to Austin, Tx I am flying there tonight leaving cali by 8pm have to be back by saturday night. Any sugestions of what I should do to the car and best speeds for the engine. Any bolts I should check or touque?

Stationed at NAS Lemoore?:usa:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Axial32