Cam Sproket Bolts Recall Done!!!!

fred

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My Viper Tech Louie at New Symrna Chrysler Dodge in New Symrna Florida did the work. Louie found the bolts were still tight and backed them out just enough to get some Locktight on them. He replaced the oil and filter (Mobil 1) and all the Antifreeze. He also replaced a few seals and then put everything back the way it was down :laugh: to the last fastener. When I opened the hood there was absolutly NO sign he had been in there. He wiped away any trace of grease/dirt.
What really impressed me was that after he test drove the car and got it heat soaked he then placed it up on the lift and removed that large flat plate that serves to make the bottom more aerodynamic. Then he waited to make sure that there were no signs of any leaks. Of course they washed the car. Whole process took slightly more than 24 hours.
Its really a relief to know that the engine is not going to come apart on me.I am still P.O. at dodge for putting me through this though. Anyway, alls well that ends well.

Daffy Duck Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You know, I can't help wonder with something as sensitive as this, how can they leave it up to Locktight to keep the engine from being severely damaged? Why aren't there clips or pins or something METAL to keep these bolts from coming out? That makes a whole he|| of a lot more sense to me. Locktight? The bolts could STILL come out! Only "glue" is being used to secure them to prevent engine damage. I'd freakin go in there myself and weld those suckers in place! *chuckle* :D

You must be registered for see images

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine is in until Friday.

Something interesting I found in the book that Dodge sent me, (Dodge Viper SRT-10, The Official Story) Page 51, describing the new SRT-10 Engine:

"However, the cam has a new part number because the cam sprocket attachment has changed from a one-bolt system to a three bolt system--the same system as the 426 Hemi V-8 and the Viper GTS-R."

Funny to see this troublesome part getting its 15 minutes of fame in the Dodge book. Hope they remember to lock-tight all three of those things.

Kai

OP
OP
F

fred

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Daffy Duck: I know what you mean. I am still not sure we really know all that was responsible for this "recall" and maybe never will. I suspect the bolts were also not torqued correctly and with the absence of the Locktight created a situation where the bolts could back out. There are reports of this happening on the car and truck engines. I would like to know just how many of the vehicles that will go through this drill are found to have bolts that are "loose". Only dodge will have that info!