Can a Gen 4 Mopar Race PCM be moved from one car to another?

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
You may want to contact Dan Cragin on this one. If memory serves, and it sometimes doesn't, Dan told me that he had programmed a few Mopar Race Controllers here in So Cal on other Gen IV cars, then sent them to the Middle East, had them installed there and they worked just fine.

Dan

Reaction score
Mileage would of course be wrong and if the throttle bodies are not exactly the same calibration wise you could have a problem, but I suppose it might "work" if that was the only option.

OP
OP
P

purplesnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Mileage would of course be wrong and if the throttle bodies are not exactly the same calibration wise you could have a problem, but I suppose it might "work" if that was the only option.

So Mark, is there any problem with going back and forth between the original PCM and the race PCM that is now on the car? I just want to experiment because when I put on corsa and high flow cats I put the PCM on so I wouldn't throw codes, but I miss the "decel burble" and I am thinking about switching back. I don't want to screw something up on the car though. Thanks.

Reaction score
No, the PCM once installed and calibrated for the throttle bodies can be physically switched back and forth anytime you want to. You may get a P code for the catalyst inefficiency though without it.

So Mark, is there any problem with going back and forth between the original PCM and the race PCM that is now on the car? I just want to experiment because when I put on corsa and high flow cats I put the PCM on so I wouldn't throw codes, but I miss the "decel burble" and I am thinking about switching back. I don't want to screw something up on the car though. Thanks.

OP
OP
P

purplesnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
No, the PCM once installed and calibrated for the throttle bodies can be physically switched back and forth anytime you want to. You may get a P code for the catalyst inefficiency though without it.

If that happens, do I have to go to a dealer to clear the code? I suppose if it does, I just go back to the race PCM. Again, thanks for the technical help.

Reaction score
If the PCM does not see the condition after 5-10 cycles the CEL should go off, but the code will stay saved. you can clear the code with most code readers out there on your own though if it does not.

If that happens, do I have to go to a dealer to clear the code? I suppose if it does, I just go back to the race PCM. Again, thanks for the technical help.

OP
OP
P

purplesnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Mark, does it make sense to have Dan Cragin or someone else do whatever tweaks they do to the stock PCM to accomplish my goals?

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Not possible with the Gen4 cars sorry and Dan is still in a re org state as far as I know if it were a Gen2/3 car.

Dan is still in a re-org mode but is setting up shop at a new location in So Cal and should be back on line soon.

The Gen IV computer code has still not been cracked that I know of.

Dan