Can a Paxton be operated when temps fall below 40 degrees?

dwhitt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I thought I had read that clearances do not permit operation of the blower when temps outside are below 40 deg. Is that true? Virginia has many fair weather days/nights below 40 deg. so that would seem to make the blower less practical.

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drive my paxton SC all the time below 40 deg. Nothing like a convertible (RT/10 in my case) w/ the top off and the heat on during the winter months. a nice cool air.

No problemo.

the only concern _could_ be lubrication... and as long as you have good oil in there I wouldn't worry about it at all.

JD

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My manual says 40 degrees. No indication of why (clearances, lubrication or ..).

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
While I admittedly have very limited experience with the NOVI-2000 superchargers, I would suspect the main reason lies behind how much more dense air becomes at those temparatures and how this will adversely affect the AFR. Even though the intake charge is much cooler, this is offset by the extreme density of the air, compounded by the Vipers "goofy" stock AFR calculator that actually pulls fuel at low temps. What you end up with is a lean condition that can also result in detonation. Fuel cools the combustion chamber during the compression stroke by continuing to evaporate, which is endothermic, or "takes heat" to complete. When you have less fuel, and more air being compressed, the amount of heat produced from the compression increases, moreso than the offset of cool air being inducted. Detonation can be your enemy...both at high temps, and low.

RichieSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now I have to go and search for my manual. We do get some cold nights where it goes into the 30's. I would think my Paxton would make more horsepower in this type of weather without any adverse conditions.

Reaction score
The tolerances in the supercharger head unit are very close - in other words, the internal impeller and housing are an extremely tight fit. The extreme (on cold days) causes the outer housing metal to contract resulting in even tighter tolerances between the outer and inner components; another reason to never ice-down the supercharger head unit.

Also, as mentioned the air / fuel / spark ratio is effected and significantly changes the base map.

Hope this helps,
Doug

RichieSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What is the coldest temperature you can safely drive. Last week at the track I saw 2 people with large bags of ice on there S/C. Thanks for letting us know Doug that we should never ice down the unit.