Can anyone find a 1996 Viper dash?

GotAViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know they are super hard to find but I have been looking for 2 years now with no luck. I really dont want to repaint my gen1 dash but if anyone has a 96 black dash they know of for sale, or layin around ill give you lots of $ for it!

I have called partsrack before and he said its super rare that he gets them, what would be my best options besides hunting ebay everday? or am i just screwed?

thanks,
Jason

sniper1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I know they are super hard to find but I have been looking for 2 years now with no luck. I really dont want to repaint my gen1 dash but if anyone has a 96 black dash they know of for sale, or layin around ill give you lots of $ for it!

I have called partsrack before and he said its super rare that he gets them, what would be my best options besides hunting ebay everday? or am i just screwed?

thanks,
Jason
Jason, may I ask why it is you need the dash ? I don't have an extra but i'll keep my eys open.

OP
OP
G

GotAViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jason, may I ask why it is you need the dash ? I don't have an extra but i'll keep my eys open.

1996 is the only year they made a black dash for the Gen 1 viper. 1992-1995 are the gray fuzzy POS dash that I dread looking at everyday.

I know most of you repaint your dash, but it just doesn't do it for me, it looks ... like its been painted.

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have you tried all the Viper Parts sites ? are there any in stock somewhere ? Chuck Tator is good about finding parts.

sniper1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
1996 is the only year they made a black dash for the Gen 1 viper. 1992-1995 are the gray fuzzy POS dash that I dread looking at everyday.

I know most of you repaint your dash, but it just doesn't do it for me, it looks ... like its been painted.
Ahhhh, otay, thats good info...

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most just sand and paint their old dash. The fuzzy stuff comes off pretty easy and final sand 1500 grit, paint with a satin should do the trick.

V

Venomiss

Vendors in the supplier section? or Paul Sharf?

Calling once might not be enough and things change in two years.

OP
OP
G

GotAViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually I found a vendor who said they might have some new.

Does anyone have a picture of a 1996 stock dash interior?

Im getting confused, some people say its black, some say its dark gray? Would really like to know exactly what it looks like.

thanks.

OP
OP
G

GotAViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was under the impression that the 1996 viper dash was like the gen2 dash (very nice black material?)

but infact its just painted a black or darkish gray color? Still much better then the fuzzy gray but the price of the new dash is $600. Not sure if thats worth buying or just repainting it black now :(

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

That's not correct. 94's and 95's with tan interiors have a black dash as well as the shifter surround. It's been a couple of years since I checked but I don't think there are any new ones sitting at a dealership. (But there are new gray ones available). If you want one your more than likely going to have to find one from a wreck.

I found a new black shifter surround a few months ago from X2 but I haven't seen a black dash in quite awhile. If you find one it won't be cheap, and, if you put it on and then scratch it your not going to be happy. If I ever find one that's somewhat affordable I"m not sure if I put it on. Good luck, if you find 2 let me know. Mike

WOT!

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 96 RT dash is black. The GTS is the first Gen II and is in fact a different dash than the Gen I.

I don't recall ever seeing a gray 96 RT dash.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No pics, but the 96 RT dash is NOT like the 96' GTS dash. Like you said, its just painted black (it is flat black, not dark grey) instead of the fuzzy gray 92-95 stuff. It still scratches easy as well. I would just paint yours before you spend $600 on a NOS dash.

jeffdai

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a brand new one i bought from parts rack, i bought one to install and one to keep as a spare as easy as they get messed up. I love the black dash, it really makes the car look better than the scratched up grey one.

OP
OP
G

GotAViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The X2 guys have the black Dashes in stock for $600. However now you guys say that one scratches easy too :(

So i guess maybe having it painted is a better option? because you can use paint that wont scratch as easy?

Im having a tough time debating spending $600 or just having an auto body shop paint it. (either way i really dont even wanna take the thing off beacuse it looks like a PITA! haha)

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I didn't see ViperPartsLarry mentioned. Might want to give Larry a call.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I have a brand new one i bought from partsrack, i bought one to install and one to keep as a spare as easy as they get messed up. I love the black dash, it really makes the car look better than the scratched up grey one.

We have TWO, under $500, and also a full Carbon-Fibre replica panel as well $895

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I know they are super hard to find but I have been looking for 2 years now with no luck. I really dont want to repaint my gen1 dash but if anyone has a 96 black dash they know of for sale, or layin around ill give you lots of $ for it! I have called partsrack before and he said its super rare that he gets them, what would be my best options besides hunting ebay everday? or am i just screwed?
thanks, Jason

Jason, the above is not consistent with my memory,,and we do have em in stock.

PittsburghRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a new 96 RT/10 dash and all the matching trim in my 94 RT/10 and I think it looks so much better than the gray. The finish of the black on the 96 looks better than just getting your dash repainted, but I can tell that it could scratch very easily.

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's a picture of my Gen I origionally had tan interior & the dash is black.....

You must be registered for see images

ViperJames

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PM me if you are interested, i have a PERFECT dash that i had for sale on EBAY for SO long with no bids.......Make me an offer it's yours. it came out of my 95 Viper (Black Dash) it is in PERFECT condition not 1 scratch professionally refinished, you can't possibly find one better. Like the other said here it is a perfect replacement for the 92-96 RT/10's GTS GEN2 are TOTALLY different, although the look like they are similar. YES it is Black! It is the dash and glove box only.